www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old June 7th, 2012, 12:05   #16
snakesausage
Veteran Member

It is a GTB1756VK
South Bend Stage II Endurance : SEAT León Cupra R RAB : E-Code headlights : TT LCA bushings : Koni FSD : 11mm pump : 5.5L Washer Fluid Reservoir : Vented Passenger Wheel Well Liner : 03' Cup Holder Update : Aspherical mirror : Sunglasses Holder : Michelin Defender 215/55R16 tires : 300k miles : VCDS : Metalnerd TB Tools : Bentley
snakesausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 12:10   #17
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesausage View Post
It is a GTB1756VK
Yes, but what was it used on as OEM? What model car and/or engine code? I may not be able to look at a wiring diagram, but perhaps some of our friends from the other side of the pond can.
Old June 7th, 2012, 12:11   #18
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ano View Post
This was a topic on this board for a while
You can`t use the VW actuator because they have a Can signal.
The Mercedes actuator used a PWM.
You can build a Frankenstein bedween Mercedes electronic and VW Mechanic that can work.
It is shown on the vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ36-fiV3Vk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0qEY...eature=related

The main Problem ist to adjust the ECU to work properly.
I used the old vacuum actuator because i haven`t so much space left with this turbo.
Best regards Christian
Christian, if you did that work, excellent!! Right, no need to reinvent anything here. Just use a PWM actuator, e.g. from a Mercedes-Benz and others too (BMW?), and get the ECU signals to work correctly on these actuators. The actual mapping for the differences in dynamic response should be simple enough.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 12:14   #19
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

One would think Bosch' EDC15 would be similar enough across brands to make that not too difficult. One would think. Of course, VAG punted on the CR for PDs instead, so....
Old June 7th, 2012, 12:24   #20
snakesausage
Veteran Member

It is the same turbo that Ryanp uses in his kit before he changes it over to vacuum. I am not sure what the OEM application was.

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/garrett-gtb2260vk-and-gtb1756vk-turbochargers-with-vacuum-conversion.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Yes, but what was it used on as OEM? What model car and/or engine code? I may not be able to look at a wiring diagram, but perhaps some of our friends from the other side of the pond can.
South Bend Stage II Endurance : SEAT León Cupra R RAB : E-Code headlights : TT LCA bushings : Koni FSD : 11mm pump : 5.5L Washer Fluid Reservoir : Vented Passenger Wheel Well Liner : 03' Cup Holder Update : Aspherical mirror : Sunglasses Holder : Michelin Defender 215/55R16 tires : 300k miles : VCDS : Metalnerd TB Tools : Bentley
snakesausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 12:29   #21
Ano

TDI(s): MK1 TDI ARL
Fuel Economy: 58.8

I haven`t build this sorry.
I have searched this because i have the same in my mind before i build it like all others.
The Turbo can`t be screwd like before because of the position of the actuator.
Best regards Christian
Ano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 13:05   #22
chapelhill
Veteran Member

There may be some improvement in spool if this actuator works well. 2260 Turbo can spool quite a bit better, but some instability in vacum vane control precipitates surge. It is made worse with larger compressor wheels.
Ultimate would be to have positional feedback, but I am not sure if edc15 can be adapted.

Remapping for custom vane duty cycle is relatively easy, but time consuming.
Some adjustment of PID variables might also be required, but I could not find any firm information on the edc15 variables, and my experiments were hampered by the vloggocds data logging speed.
Mercedes E280CDI for the wife!
chapelhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 19:20   #23
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

What is the actuation method of the GTB series turbos? Yes, it takes in a PWM signal, but I'm assuming that there is some sort of micro controller inside that takes the PWM signal and turns it into actuator travel - maybe via stepper motor/leadscrew? - Power, ground and PWM signal input (relative to ground)

I'm assuming that the PWM driver in the ECU has some sort of current feedback on it (otherwise how would it know if the N75 is electrically disconnected and then throw a fault code) so you need to fool the ECU to thinking it's actually driving a load.

If the PWM frequencies are the same, maybe this is as simple as leaving the N75 coil hooked up electrically and just tapping the signal from the two wires to go to the high impedance (also an assumption) input of the GTB actuator? Nothing fancy needed?

I think the two things we need to know to get started on this are

1) What frequency is the GTB actuator looking for?
1a) What is the load of the PWM Signal to the GTB actuator?
2) What frequency does the EDC15/16 drive the N75 valve at? (looks like 250Hz).
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 19:35   #24
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

One more thought...is the GTB actuator expecting a constant frequency with a varying duty cycle (10-90% for example) or is it expecting a constant duty cycle (50%) and a varying frequency (100-200Hz). I've seen controllers that want to see both (one or the other) types of PWM signals.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Old June 7th, 2012, 19:56   #25
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Check this out between 1:40 and 2:00 - constant frequency ~140Hz, variable duty cycle.

Is this a GTB actuator?
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:11   #26
brum
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: from 5l/100km to 6.5l/100km

There are 3 types of electric actuators

Type 1, oldest - it don't have controller build in. It exposes 2 pins for the motor and 3 pins for the position sensor. This one can be made to work with external controller (easily build) for servos. It just has to be programmed to work on 140hz. This is the most common one on GTB1756VK and GTB2260VK from VAG engines.

Type 2, the easiest one to get working. Is has build in controller that works on 140hz PWM. Exactly as the N75 input. It is direct hardware plug&play and only software modifications are required. I think Ford 2004 2.0 turbo diesel has such. Not sure what else have it - some MB also do, but not sure what models.

Type 3, the new one. It is CAN controlled. It keeps even history of the required power to move the vanes, temperatures and stuff that can be used for debugging. I think that there are some researches about the protocol that control it, but I'm not sure. This one should be the hardest to get working on EDC15 ECU that outputs PWM.

By the way I started some research about controlling the type 1. But I stopped it as the turbo needs to be clocked to fit on the Passat and the actuator will not be in the correct position. I thought it would be plug and play at the beginning, but the actuator will come just under the filter box. And I want to keep mine .
brum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:16   #27
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

Thanks brum, now get at it, guys.

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
Old June 8th, 2012, 13:22   #28
Got Bearings?
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 / 50

One has to ask.... if it ain't broke, why "fix" it?
Looking for Battery Cables, better & cheaper than OEM? Click here for info
Got Bearings? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 18:33   #29
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

I think we use the vacuum actuators because it's easy to make them work on VE cars without major software changes.. Just make the actuator fit on and adjust it and you're good to go..
Old June 8th, 2012, 22:52   #30
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

Vacuum is fine if you're dealing with only one turbo and an old-tech one at that........