www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old June 7th, 2012, 06:33   #1
SheeB
Veteran Member

Default Dirty maf with cold climate air filter

So recently I had to replace a defective maf sensor. After removing the old maf and inspecting it, I noticed a very fine layer of sand across the element. I use Mann cold climate air filters, and usually replace them every year (even though I did the CAT air filter restriction indicator mod). I do not have the snow screen though, and I'm wondering if this is an issue? I typically do not drive on sand/gravel roads either.
01 Jetta TDI 5 speed, Stock VNT-15 Turbo, 11mm IP, Evolution Skid Plate, TDIHeater, TT Bushings, Cold Weather Air Filter w/Snow Screen Deleted, CAT air filter restriction gauge, New South EGT & Boost Gauges w/Steering Column Pod, CAT Fuel Filter w/Nicktane Filter Head, 5 Light Brake Mod, Bosio PP520 nozzles, DG EGR & Cooler Deleted, Catalytic Deleted, Southbend Stage 3 Clutch (DMF version).
SheeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 08:10   #2
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

It should not be a problem.
Did you notice any dirt traces on the top side of the foam surround of the filter? If so, it means that the top filter cover was not seated properly.
Do you remove the airbox to change filters? It is easier to get it right that way.
JETaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 10:01   #3
SheeB
Veteran Member

No I don't typically remove the airbox when changing the filter but as a precautionary measure, I will replace the filter anyways and remove the airbox this time around. Thanks for the tip.
01 Jetta TDI 5 speed, Stock VNT-15 Turbo, 11mm IP, Evolution Skid Plate, TDIHeater, TT Bushings, Cold Weather Air Filter w/Snow Screen Deleted, CAT air filter restriction gauge, New South EGT & Boost Gauges w/Steering Column Pod, CAT Fuel Filter w/Nicktane Filter Head, 5 Light Brake Mod, Bosio PP520 nozzles, DG EGR & Cooler Deleted, Catalytic Deleted, Southbend Stage 3 Clutch (DMF version).
SheeB is offline   Reply With Quote