140hp 2.0 CR TDI vs. 170hp 2.0 CR TDI (engine spec differences)

engineered2win

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
You should be able to just go down to your VW dealer and plunk down your cash and the part number. That's how we we get Garrett turbos from euro spec VW TDI's where I work. It just takes longer than normal for shipping.

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4Door DSG (Sold)
You should be able to just go down to your VW dealer and plunk down your cash and the part number. That's how we we get Garrett turbos from euro spec VW TDI's where I work. It just takes longer than normal for shipping.
I didn't think the Turbo between the US spec and Euro Spec TDI were any diffrent??? I thought the only diffrence was the 170 CR TDI (GTD/A3) used a more powerful Garrett Turbo?

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
I love my tune. If you do nothing else to the car it'll be completely transparent. You can keep the DPF in place. To be honest, my dad's running the stage 1 on his Golf and my brother's got the stage 2. More or less, identical cars otherwise. The way they drive is very close. I honestly can't tell that the 2 is more powerful than the 1 in that configuration.
Toeball are you saying there is no difference between claimed 184/333 vs 170/295? Did they also do DSG upgrade? Thanks.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Toeball are you saying there is no difference between claimed 184/333 vs 170/295? Did they also do DSG upgrade? Thanks.
I did not say that, I said they were very close. If you're not planning on doing a DPF delete and all kinds of other mods, going Stage 1 should not make you feel bad. We all drive manual trans cars so no DSG upgrades available...

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
I did not say that, I said they were very close. If you're not planning on doing a DPF delete and all kinds of other mods, going Stage 1 should not make you feel bad. We all drive manual trans cars so no DSG upgrades available...

The problem is my Golf is a DSG, so if I decide to do a malone ECU reflash, DSG is strongly recommended, for me that's a must. Now I am thinking if I choose to do stage I or II reflash, stage II obviously claims to increase more power and torque, but I don't know what it looks like in the real world. That's why I asked you,not a rebuttal or anything like that. Christian who is located in our area does not recommend the DPF deletion. I honestly does not know what it means.

By the way,where did you do your stage II, are you satisfied with it?

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4Door DSG (Sold)
So I created this thread a few months ago to identify the engine components that are different between the 140CR's and 170CR's. That and how a Golf owner may go about modifying their car so that it was pretty much a stock 170CR. If we know what the 170CR has over the 140 will give us all a point of reference so we all know what it takes to get tuned GTD performance out of our TDI’s. So here is what I have on the list to date:

· Turbo Charger; the 170CR (GTD) uses a more powerful Turbo then the US spec TDI.

· Fuel Injector's; EPA and Californian emission regulations are responsible for the nerfed parts in US 140CR's but if you are Euro Spec you're up to snuff...

· Heads; See fuel injectors…

· Pistons; See fuel injectors…

· Connecting Rods; See fuel injectors…

· HPFP; Can be bought at ECS

· ECU; perhaps a different programming to handle that extra torque???

If you have any tuning question, I suggest you talk to ToeBall… He’s on the Frontier of Diesel Tuning!

Last edited: