www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old June 4th, 2012, 23:38   #1
troutbum1971
Veteran Member

Default Fog Lights

I added the ECS Tuning fog lights to my 2012. When I turn them on, the dash ( idiot light ) light does not show them on? but there is a fog light indicator in the dash? Anyone know what i have to do to make it work?

Thanks
troutbum1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 03:35   #2
jkowalski
Veteran Member

My '12 came with fogs from the factory, and there is no fog light indicator on the dash. It is on the light switch itself (glows green I believe with the fogs on)
There is a bright light indicator (glows blue) on the dash.
jkowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 03:59   #3
troutbum1971
Veteran Member

ok thanks... if you look in the dash next to the high beam indicator you can see a fog light indicator....... bummer it does not work :-(
troutbum1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 19:57   #4
willafb
Veteran Member

The fog light indicator you’re speaking of is meant for car equipped with a rear fog light. The indicator is red in the dash if you have the rear fog light. The front fog light when activated is a green light on the switch itself. If you get the euro switch and have rear tail lights that support rear fog light than a red indictor will appear in the dash. My 2009 Jetta had both front and rear fog lights - need them when I was stationed in Germany and Belgium. Also not all euro-spec cars have front fog lights but all must have rear fog lights and its always red in the dash just like when i modified my 2009 US Spec Jetta. I hope that makes sense.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...hts/ES2214940/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...hts/ES2209718/

Last edited by willafb; June 5th, 2012 at 20:09.
willafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 06:31   #5
jnmarshall
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willafb View Post
The fog light indicator you’re speaking of is meant for car equipped with a rear fog light. The indicator is red in the dash if you have the rear fog light. The front fog light when activated is a green light on the switch itself. If you get the euro switch and have rear tail lights that support rear fog light than a red indictor will appear in the dash. My 2009 Jetta had both front and rear fog lights - need them when I was stationed in Germany and Belgium. Also not all euro-spec cars have front fog lights but all must have rear fog lights and its always red in the dash just like when i modified my 2009 US Spec Jetta. I hope that makes sense.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...hts/ES2214940/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...hts/ES2209718/
Adding those lights will NOT enable the dash light you speak of. Only factory installed non-NA market cars will have that capability.
jnmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 06:50   #6
pdt165
Veteran Member

JNMARSHALL,

Do you know if you buy the euro tails when do the rear fogs get activated? I know on the euro switch I have now there seams to be two different positions when you pull the switch out and the front fogs are on for both. Do the rears only come on when pulled all the way out to the "second" position?
Old June 6th, 2012, 07:53   #7
willafb
Veteran Member

I had VW Germany install the euro switch and rear LED's tail lights to my MK V Jetta and my red fog light indicator came on in the dash when I pulled out the headlight switch to turn on the rear fog lights. Also if my turn signal lights on -left or right when I parked and turned off my car a front and rear parking light came on - low battery drain but I never used more than 2 hours - only used when parking on a super dark narrow road.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...hts/ES1897199/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...itches/ES9974/
Old June 6th, 2012, 08:24   #8
TDI_Timmy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdt165 View Post
JNMARSHALL,

Do you know if you buy the euro tails when do the rear fogs get activated? I know on the euro switch I have now there seams to be two different positions when you pull the switch out and the front fogs are on for both. Do the rears only come on when pulled all the way out to the "second" position?
I believe there is some wiring involved as well. Once that is taken care of switch needs to be pulled to the second click for the rear fog to turn on.

EDIT: I know I am not JNMARSHALL - just thought I would throw that out.
TDI_Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2012, 11:25   #9
pdt165
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI_Timmy View Post
EDIT: I know I am not JNMARSHALL - just thought I would throw that out.
Lol, thanks timmy. any input is always good
Old June 6th, 2012, 12:37   #10
jnmarshall
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdt165 View Post
JNMARSHALL,

You pull the switch to the second position for the rear. So the front fogs will always be on when the rear is on. The wiring in the US with the ECS kit simply connect to pin 8, next to the front fog pin on the switch, and runs ALL the way to the bulb in the tail light. It's not relayed like the front. I only replaced my left tail light and have that wired up. This is typical so you know which side of the car is the drivers side AND for us dumb US drivers we don't mistake it for a brake light -> In reality most US drivers will think they are brake lights with a burned out bulb!

There is no indicator light to tell the rear fogs are on, on the switch or on the dash. You can search for example of how to pull the switch apart and modify it to add LED indicators. It wasn't worth it for me.
Old June 6th, 2012, 14:27   #11
TDI_Timmy
Veteran Member

I always find it funny when I see a driver in the US (with an Audi usually) with the rear fog on when it is beautiful out just because they pulled out their switch too far and have no idea what the two positions are.
Old June 6th, 2012, 14:41   #12
jnmarshall
Veteran Member

Quote:
I always find it funny when I see a driver in the US (with an Audi usually) with the rear fog on when it is beautiful out just because they pulled out their switch too far and have no idea what the two positions are.
It's pretty easy to do. The switch has pretty weak stops. I do it myself.
Old June 6th, 2012, 20:28   #13
TDI_Timmy
Veteran Member

I know they have weak stops - had the euro switch in my sedan - but you at least knew what happened and can feel for the two stops.

Most of the drivers I see do it, just by how they might be driving are absolutely clueless.
Old June 7th, 2012, 05:55   #14
willafb
Veteran Member

just so you know eurpeans make the mistake as well... seen it all the time rear fog light on on a clear evening....
Old June 7th, 2012, 06:01   #15
pdt165
Veteran Member

Quote:
I know they have weak stops - had the euro switch in my sedan - but you at least knew what happened and can feel for the two stops.

Most of the drivers I see do it, just by how they might be driving are absolutely clueless.
Considering all the stupid things americans do while driving this doesnt suprise me one bit.