www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old June 3rd, 2012, 17:54   #1
hawleyrw
Veteran Member

Default Kessy door touch stopped working

I've got a 12 - just about 1300 miles on it. Today, I can no longer lock the doors from the outside using Kessy (touch the indent on the door).

the Key fob operates the locks normally
Hand around either handle still unlocks the doors.

Any ideas?
hawleyrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 19:57   #2
Cesar
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best 4.1L/100kms, Worse 7.5L/100kms

Sensor probably is faulty.... have you tried taking your keys out of your pocket and try to unlock?
Sometimes I have to do that to mine :s
Cesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 20:07   #3
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Is there another set of keys inside the car?

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 20:08   #4
GeekDrew
Veteran Member

You do have a key on you while you're touching the indent, right? And the door is closed? Is the handle wet? Recently added wax to it?

Last edited by GeekDrew; June 3rd, 2012 at 20:11.
GeekDrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 20:09   #5
GeekDrew
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40X40 View Post
Is there another set of keys inside the car?

Bill
I have a '12 Passat, I hope Jetta would be similar. The indent locks work even if the other keyfob is inside.
GeekDrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 20:11   #6
jetta rhody

TDI(s): Jetta MK VI

I had a similar problem. It could be a faulty antenna somewhere (door handles, rear bumper, etc). Does the MFD display "check keyless" when you get in the car?

My issue was the antenna in the rear bumper was bad. Took it to the dealer and they replaced it.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 20:12   #7
40X40
Experienced

Thanks Geekdrew, I don't have Kessy but my Wifes' Camry acts like this when there is another set of keys inside the car.

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 20:24   #8
hawleyrw
Veteran Member

no changes to the car (waxed a couple of weeks ago - touch lock has been working OK since, spare key is not near/in the car).
I went around the car and opened/closed each door and the trunk to ensure it wasn't a door showing not closed.
If I use the fob to lock/unlock remotely - locks/unlocks without a problem

I typically use the indent/touch to lock the car (such a cool feature! )- today was the first day since I got it where it hasn't worked - attempts made all day at different locations.

I'll try again tomorrow and let everyone know.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 20:28   #9
40X40
Experienced

Does the chirp/beep sound when you lock with the fob?

Bill
Old June 4th, 2012, 05:23   #10
vtbigdog
Veteran Member

Remove the key cover on the drivers door. With the door closed and locked, insert the key and then twist the key to unlock the doors and hold it in that position until the windows go down. Then twist the key in the opposite direction to lock the door and hold it in that position until the windows go up. Remove the key, wait 30 seconds and then try touching the door handle to lock/unlock the door.
vtbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 06:23   #11
TDI_Timmy
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40X40 View Post
Thanks Geekdrew, I don't have Kessy but my Wifes' Camry acts like this when there is another set of keys inside the car.

Bill
This is how our '11 sedan w/ KESSY worked if the extra key was in the car. Took a couple tries to lock the doors with indent when an extra key was inside - kind of like me telling the car I know there is an extra key in the car and I still want it locked and the car replying, ok, you tried twice I warned you about the key but I will lock anyways.

I am not sure that the advice in the post above this one will work - except to either potentially scratch the car with the key or potentially lose the plastic cover if not put on right. It does sound like a faulty sensor to me and it wouldn't be the first time. Have you tried the indent on the passenger side?
TDI_Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 15:29   #12
hawleyrw
Veteran Member

OK - this morning, still wouldn't respond. Previously I had opened all the doors, trunk, etc. to see if it might be that. Nope.
Just for fun lowered all the windows and back up...

Now it's working....get that.
Old June 5th, 2012, 13:02   #13
TDIx2
Veteran Member

Location: Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous people!
TDI(s): 2014 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawleyrw View Post
OK - this morning, still wouldn't respond. Previously I had opened all the doors, trunk, etc. to see if it might be that. Nope.
Just for fun lowered all the windows and back up...

Now it's working....get that.
Lowering the windows probley reset the window travel setting. My EOS loses the window travel setting and lowering the window all the way down seems to reset window travel up distance. This may be connected as Kessy will close your windows too.
TDIx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 18:19   #14
TDI_Timmy
Veteran Member

Learn something new every day - glad that worked out.

@vtbigdog - thanks for the tip!
TDI_Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 18:33   #15
40X40
Experienced

So, could this mean that the car won't lock via door handle touch..... IF it thinks all the windows are not all the way up?

Hawley, please lower one window an inch and see what happens when you try to lock it.

This is interesting! Do the Golf, the Jetta, the JSW and the Passat all react the same way??

Bill