Interface not found

raktym

TDI
03 Jetta 3 of them
I'm having problems with VCDS. I recently updated to the latest version and now when I open VCDS I get a message on the port test. It says.... USB interface not found! USB Library Version:03.01.19 Interface: Not Found
I had previous version on the same computer and it worked fine.
Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Bob

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
You need to make sure you select the proper com port. The old vagcom had 1-4 and you had to set it to which ever one the computer had for your cable.

raktym

TDI
03 Jetta 3 of them
My computer has 5 USB ports and I've tried them all with no luck. I also went into my device manager but it doesn't show the cable .

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
No it was com ports I was on about but I just looked at rosstech and see they now have a usb bit to select instead. Com ports aren't physical ports like usb, it's just a software thing.
Anyway I would try checking out rosstech's site for help

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/option_screen.html

Use the search bar at the top with your issue and see if it can give you an answer

spiderjedi

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I am running into a similar issue:

I downloaded VCDS-Release 11.11.3 and tried using my Vag-Com cable to connect to my '06 VW Jetta. I was able to select USB and test, but the test failed. It said that it found the USB, but it could not find the interface. When I have the PC plugged in, the LED light on the dongle is green, but was red before that. Next to test, I clicked LED and that was successful. I installed Lite 1.1 to see if that would work, but it did not even have the USB option, just COM 1-4. Would you be able to tell me if I need a different version of the software?

On the unit it says "VAG-COM CAN BUS" on one side (side with LED), the other side says "Ver 704.1 Dual-K & CAN <-> USB VAG/ISO interface"

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Version 11.11.3 comes with a firmware update for the interface cable. If you have a non-genuine (faaake) cable, the firmware update cannot be loaded. Therefore, you have a dead cable. This is the price you pay for a cheap cable. Sorry.

Have Fun!

Don

spiderjedi

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
We have never sold an interface with a specific version number on the label.

Lol, that made me laugh. Well that stinks though. I didn't buy the cable specifically, it came with the car when I bought it from a private owner. I guess it's time to look in to getting a proper cable.

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
Mine did the same thing i called rosstech and they got mine working over the phone after changing some settings.

sudseh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 4door
I have this same issue and have a real vag-com. I looked a few places, and the instructions are simply to Options --> Test, and the new firmware will be uploaded.
Are there any alternate instructions -- command-line firmware install possibly?

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
I have this same issue and have a real vag-com. I looked a few places, and the instructions are simply to Options --> Test, and the new firmware will be uploaded.
Are there any alternate instructions -- command-line firmware install possibly?
No command line option. To do the firmware update, the interface must be plugged up to a car when doing the Port Test. With VCDS 11.11.4, the firmware version is updated to 1.92 for the HEX-USB+CAN interfaces. If needed, the Port Test will mention an update is required, and when you click [OK], a new window with an [update] button will appear.

If any of our customers are having issues with their Ross Tech interface, then please contact for support.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
No command line option. To do the firmware update, the interface must be plugged up to a car when doing the Port Test. With VCDS 11.11.4, the firmware version is updated to 1.92 for the HEX-USB+CAN interfaces. If needed, the Port Test will mention an update is required, and when you click [OK], a new window with an [update] button will appear.

If any of our customers are having issues with their Ross Tech interface, then please contact for support.
The update worked flawlessly on my cable, just as Jef described. However, I have one comment.

I upgraded to 11.11.4 when not connected to my car, tested the interface,and saved the configuration (no problem here). When I first plugged into a car and tried to do an autoscan, I got an error message about not being able to connect (I don't remember the exact message). I tested the interface again and it said I needed to update the cable firmware and everything worked correctly. My comment is: When I first tried to do the autoscan, it would have been nice if the error message was more useful. In other words, it would have been nice if it actually told me that I needed to update the cable's firmware and told me to test the cable again. This is a minor issue, and since it has happened to me before, it didn't really cause me a problem. This issue might cause more problems for new users. I just thought that I would mention it since I know Ross-Tech is following this thread.

Have Fun!

Don

jef@rosstech

TDI
You should get a message like this:

I just snapped this using an interface that has an older firmware version on it while running VCDS 11.11.4.

Think of the interface as having 2 halves... one half talks to the computer and the other half talks to the car. The part that talks to the car is where the firmware sits. With the HEX-USB+CAN interface, if you have the USB cord plugged up to your computer, but not the OBDII connector plugged up, then VCDS can only talk to the half of the interface.... the OBDII part needs to be plugged up so it gets powered on and is able to talk to VCDS as well.

So any time you do an update, do the Port Test while plugged up to a car. It doesn't even half to be a VW/Audi, it just needs to power up that other half of the interface so the LED lights up. Sometimes a new release of VCDS will have a firmware update, sometimes it won't.... we'll let that be part the fun surprise each time you update. :)

Last edited:
TDI
Altea 5P
Dodgy Chinese Ripoffs USB Driver

After much digging on the web I find it reported that the USB driver is installed in the programmes file folder for the application. Use device manager to update the driver by browsing to the application folder and selecting update. After you have done this you can destroy your system and wish that you had bought an original VCDS cable and software.:D

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
PC: Toshiba laptop
interface: KEY-US Dual-K VAG-COM KC102409 Rev.B
vehicle: 2001 Golf TDI USA-spec

I just updated to newest version (14.10) of VCDS. I wasn't paying close attention and when it said "Test & save the port", I absentmindedly plugged in the KEY-USB into the PC, but wasn't plugged into a car. I hit "Test & Save", it tested, said "found USB, not connected to car." So I saved, then plugged into a car and tried to test & save again.
But now it just keeps saying "USB Found, not connected to car", even though it is connected to car, and LED in OBD connector is lit, ignition is on.

Do I need to re-install VCDS, and make sure it is plugged into the car before testing? Or is there a way to re-set the program without total delete & install?

VCDS has always just worked, so I don't even know where to start if it doesn't work.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
I deleted & re-installed VCDS 14.10. Still getting same result: USB port found, LED test good, not connected to car.

Any simple suggestions before I contact Ross-tech?

sudseh

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 4door
try a different computer, or delete and reinstall the USB driver. :)

I deleted & re-installed VCDS 14.10. Still getting same result: USB port found, LED test good, not connected to car.

Any simple suggestions before I contact Ross-tech?

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the suggestion. During the VCDS install, it stops and asks to install the special USB driver. I clicked "yes, install new USB driver". So I think that has been done.

EM has been sent to RT help desk. I'll post here if I get it working.

jef@rosstech

TDI
The install does have an option for special USB drivers for USB 3.0 type ports, this is mentioned in our VCDS install video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FV434nn3Aag#t=381

After the part about the USB, it then touches on the Device Manager. Does your interface show up correctly in the Device Manager?

Also, please plug up to any another vehicle, anything with an OBDII port in it, verify the LED lights up green and try the port test again. Do you get a different result?

If possible, give us a call, you'll find our phone number on the [About] screen.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Jeff. This laptop is not equipped with USB3.0 ports.

Device manager shows the Hex-key USB Interface is plugged in & working properly, using RossTech USB driver Ver2.10.

I'm gonna find another OBD2 car & try it again. My shop specializes in Vintage, so finding another OBD port around here is not easy. ;)

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
Belated follow-up.
Finally had a chance to try my Vag-com cable & laptop with a known good TDI OBD2 port. Same result "USB found, not connected to car".

Tried a known good laptop and cable, connected just fine.

Tried known good laptop, known good car, my cable: "Not connected to car".

From this we conclude that updating to VCDS 14.10 has bricked the cable. :(

jef@rosstech

TDI
Belated follow-up.
Finally had a chance to try my Vag-com cable & laptop with a known good TDI OBD2 port. Same result "USB found, not connected to car".

Tried a known good laptop and cable, connected just fine.

Tried known good laptop, known good car, my cable: "Not connected to car".

From this we conclude that updating to VCDS 14.10 has bricked the cable. :(
Contact our tech support via email please:
http://www.ross-tech.com/contact.html

Thank you.