www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 17:41   #1
sylvia

Fuel Economy: figuring that out now...
Default Cost of replacing timing belt in 2004 Jetta TDI?

I'm looking at a 2004 Jetta (automatic) this weekend and it's getting close to the 200K mile mark, so if it hasn't been done, it'll need a new timing belt. I'd rather buy the car and take it to a local TDI trusted mechanic to get it done than ask the mechanics who are selling it to do it, but I'd also ask for a price cut if it hasn't been done yet.

How much will a new timing belt, water pump and rollers, with labor, cost for this car, approximately?
sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 19:05   #2
sylvia

Ok, looked around on various threads and seems like $500-$650 is pretty standard. I'll go with that unless told otherwise.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 19:07   #3
whatnxt
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '12 Golf
Fuel Economy: 38-47

Cost runs $700 average. Call the dealer for a price estimate. Gurus will do it for less. Parts are $325+_.
whatnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:22   #4
sylvia

Thanks, whatnxt! Good to know for haggling purposes.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:12   #5
vwdieseling
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG

I have found that as of last year 825.00 is the dealer price in this area. Most of the local shops will not touch the TDI due to the fact the injection pump timing needs referenced as far timing after the change. They do not have the software therefore they can't warrenty the workblock. I ran into an instance last year where an individual had taken their vehicle to a local shop that stated that they could do it. Then called them the next day stating they couldn't. I asked the woman what they wanted to charge it was 850.00 dollars.

Last edited by vwdieseling; May 23rd, 2012 at 09:14. Reason: added to post
vwdieseling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:14   #6
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdieseling View Post
I have found that as of last year 825.00 is the dealer price in this area. Most of the local shops will not touch the TDI due to the fact the injection pump timing needs needs referenced after the change. They do not have the software therefore they can't warrenty the workblock. I ran into an instance last year where an individual had taken their vehicle to a local shop that stated that they could do it. Then called them the next day stating they couldn't. I asked the woman what they wanted to charge it was 850.00 dollars.
You, being in Lima, Ohio, have one of the best TDI shops in the area (Matt Whitbread's location).
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 155K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff, 4 new wheel bearings!
aja8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 05:58   #7
vwdieseling
Veteran Member

I've heard of him.
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:11   #8
raikky
Veteran Member

america is cheaper than everything in england, but not for timing belt jobs. lol.
raikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 02:21   #9
lbirunner
Veteran Member

I recommend you have the cam and transmission checked by a TDI guru (previous post mentions one in your area) before making a purchase. These two items are problem areas for an 04 if not maintained well.
lbirunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 03:04   #10
pruzink
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45

Even if this 2004 Jetta was well maintained (correct oils used throughout it's life), at 200K miles it is probably very close to the point where it will need a new camshaft, camshaft bearings & lifters. At that mileage, I would also consider the KP-39 turbo to be near the end of it's typical life. The other question that I would ask would be if the transmission fluid had been changed (how much & how often).
pruzink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 06:18   #11
vwdieseling
Veteran Member

I disagree there are no bearings in a VW overhead cam. There are only caps. Cam followers should be solid. These are the cups that fill with oil that sit above the valve stems that the cam lobes push down on. These are the Germans equvilant of hydraulic lifters. The cam should be solid. All componants are cast with 100% quality and tested to stringent manufacturing standards. Its the aftermarket parts that you don't want, these are cams that are to soft and you get premature lobe wear, cam followers that shatter at 70 thousand miles. The VW factory componants will last many, many miles. The turbo I can't say, turbos are subject to fail due to receiving too much or too little oil and are prone to lose balance and leak oil which causes engine damage from runaway. Your original factory cylinder head should last a long time possibly 350,000 to 500'000 miles with factory manufactured componants. Get the belt and the belt accesories changed and your cylinder head will last. I have worked on many VWs that have had remanufactured cylinder heads and they never last past 100,000 miles. Thats why you keep that belt changed.

Last edited by vwdieseling; May 26th, 2012 at 06:22.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 07:14   #12
sylvia

Well, tdiclub forums saved my a$$ on this one. The mechanics selling the car were these brothers in the Bronx who we've used before, and think highly of. I got the VIN from the guys and ran a car fax, and found out it's actually a 2005 (weird, but ok, I didn't talk to the guy himself, just his brother, maybe he made a mistake).

But I got to thinking, who sells a car to a mechanic? Someone who either breaks down or has a big wreck, right?

So I searched the forums for any mention of a similar car breaking down in the Bronx. And voila: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...g+belt+brother

Turns out the timing belt had already blown and some of the heads are bent. I emailed the guy who posted that and he confirmed that's the same car, same repair shop, same mechanics.

I'm looking for a good deal, but not a car that has serious issues like that. I don't work on cars myself, and I have kids, so I really need something more reliable for the long haul.

To be fair to the guys working on it, they are great mechanics, they might've replaced the whole engine or something (hence the year discrepancy?), but I got spooked and just told them I'm not interested.

And that is how the TDIclub forums saved me $5k.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:16   #13
que4dog

Not necessarily. If they are known good & responsible mechanics, and the car was correctly repaired, you may have a dependable car sitting there.
que4dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 13:05   #14
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruzink View Post
Even if this 2004 Jetta was well maintained (correct oils used throughout it's life), at 200K miles it is probably very close to the point where it will need a new camshaft, camshaft bearings & lifters. At that mileage, I would also consider the KP-39 turbo to be near the end of it's typical life. The other question that I would ask would be if the transmission fluid had been changed (how much & how often).
These are BEW's not BRM's.... Big difference, especially when it comes to eating cams..

As far as the turbo is concerned, if it's working leave it alone...

I just rolled 200,000 miles with my BEW. Cam is in absolutely MINT shape, turbo has zero play..

'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Custom tuned by Mike @ TDTuning.com
LNXGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 07:42   #15
sylvia

Quote:
Originally Posted by que4dog View Post
Not necessarily. If they are known good & responsible mechanics, and the car was correctly repaired, you may have a dependable car sitting there.
Really? I was under the impression bent heads meant that's pretty much it, for the engine. I realize they could've repaired/replaced the transmission, but doesn't blowing the timing belt kind of doom the car?