www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old May 21st, 2012, 15:59   #1
PDJetta
Veteran Member

Default Wife Just Got a Check for Class Action DexCool Litigation

About three or four years ago I found out that there was a class action lawsuite against GM for the problem with their 3.1 and 3.8 liter engines (lower intake manifold gasket leaks and sludge build-up in the cooling system) that their Dexcool caused. So, I put in a claim for her '01 Buick Century (her car before we got married) for the parts cost for me to replace the lower intake manifold gaskets. It was about $350 (the gasket set was expensive). Did not hear anything else about it, then GM went belly up and I thought that was it. Well today a check was in our mailbox from the Dexcool Settlement Fund with my wife's name on it. The check was for a whopping $20.77. The short letter stated through the litigants' valiant efforts, they were able to keep the class action open through GM's bankruptcy procedings and the check represented my wife's share of the compensation from the available funds. Not a lot of green, but I thought it was amazing she got anything.

--Nate

Last edited by PDJetta; May 22nd, 2012 at 04:31.
PDJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 16:01   #2
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

That will buy about a gallon of coolant!

(I wonder what the attorney's got for their part..)
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 155K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff, 4 new wheel bearings!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 16:21   #3
dieseldorf
top post dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

(I wonder what the attorney's got for their part..)
The attorneys keep nearly all - - that's why this class action suit is such a growing, healthy biz in the USA and the people who have been affected don't end up with enough to buy a ham sandwich. It's a bad joke.
dieseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:29   #4
PDJetta
Veteran Member

I just wonder what the poor folks got that paid a shop for lower intake manifold gasket replacement on the GM 3.1/3.8 engines? It's a $1,200 job.

--Nate
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:41   #5
corvettecrazy
Veteran Member

Having done multiple LIM gaskets on 3.1's, 350 is really expensive for just parts.

Ironically, many of the failures of the 3.8 was not the LIM but UIM itself would deteriorate and crack around the EGR stove pipe.
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:42   #6
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

That used to be a good cash cow for our shop. Many of those cars no longer come in here now. There was a time when pretty much every single day, at some point, in some bay, a tech was resealing a GM 60 degree V6 intake. The 90 degree V6 often needed a NEW intake (plastic) as they would be warped so bad.

The new thing now is the 3.6L V6 water pumps. Those things cannot seem to make it much past 50k miles.

Still, the cars coming through here have seen GM dwindle quite dramatically in recent years. Foreign brands have really started to dominate here, when I think back to the early '90s it is quite amazing how much it has changed. Back then, ChryCo minivans were all over here, now we easily service more Odysseys and Siennas than we do Caravans. In fact, in the shop currently we have a Sienna, an Eclipse, a Maxima, a Spectra, a Prius, an Accord, a Passat, and another Sienna. Only 'American' car here right now is an Explorer that has pretty much been abandoned here with a dead trans, sitting out back collecting dust.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:46   #7
oilhammer

Oh, just realized we have another Ford out back with a dead trans, but that one is actually getting replaced. E250.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:54   #8
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Still, the cars coming through here have seen GM dwindle quite dramatically in recent years. Foreign brands have really started to dominate here, when I think back to the early '90s it is quite amazing how much it has changed. Back then, ChryCo minivans were all over here, now we easily service more Odysseys and Siennas than we do Caravans. In fact, in the shop currently we have a Sienna, an Eclipse, a Maxima, a Spectra, a Prius, an Accord, a Passat, and another Sienna. Only 'American' car here right now is an Explorer that has pretty much been abandoned here with a dead trans, sitting out back collecting dust.
Putting things in perspective, rather than just knock U.S. branded cars, the above just goes to show how the world is becoming a global marketplace, and not just for autos. Note that Ford and GM make and sell lots of cars in other countries, although with more diesel engines, and on different platforms.

In our business line, we see lots of foreign buyers for oil, gas and energy assets coming here. Currently, we are working with an Italian firm buying land to build a chemical plant and I recently finished a multi-billion dollar acquisition for a Korean company buying part of a oil & gas production company.
Malone tune, GTI Wheel with paddle shifters, Premium 8 Sound, Good camshaft & DMF, 155K miles, Black on Black, HIDs by Jeff, 4 new wheel bearings!
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:12   #9
CmdrData
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
That used to be a good cash cow for our shop. Many of those cars no longer come in here now. There was a time when pretty much every single day, at some point, in some bay, a tech was resealing a GM 60 degree V6 intake. The 90 degree V6 often needed a NEW intake (plastic) as they would be warped so bad.

The new thing now is the 3.6L V6 water pumps. Those things cannot seem to make it much past 50k miles.

So does that mean domestic are more reliable nowadays compare to before OR foreign cars are just as crappy as domestic?!

2001 Golf TDI GLS
2011 Nissan Rogue SL
CmdrData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:15   #10
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrData View Post
So does that mean domestic are more reliable nowadays compare to before OR foreign cars are just as crappy as domestic?!

Not sure what that means, but I assume if you ask that you are under the assumption that auto techs only work on 'broken' cars...which is a myth that refuses to die, sadly.

All I meant with the latter part of my statement was that the brands of the cars on the road around my area have shifted.

However, to answer your question: probably some of both. Toyota and Honda have gone south, it started in the '90s, and has come more to public attention in recent years with Toyota's now public admission of quality control slippage in favor of increased sales. The Local 3 have gotten so beat up, stepped on, and changed completely so much recently it is almost laughable, if it was not so serious. ChryCo is just a complete trainwreck in so many ways, and it is not just something that can rest on the quality of the cars themselves... much deeper than that.

Last edited by oilhammer; May 22nd, 2012 at 07:21.
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:38   #11
CmdrData
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Golf

No, I wasn't trying to poke fun at anyone or car company. My impression is that you're a full time auto mechanic and have worked on lots of cars in the past. With what you said above, just wondering has the market share changed or domestic has really changed for the good, that's all.

2001 Golf TDI GLS
2011 Nissan Rogue SL
CmdrData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:14   #12
oilhammer

Oh, yeah, well both I guess. We have lots of long-time customers (decades) that used to own exclusively [insert your American brand-loyal name here] and now drive something else, mostly Toyota or Honda.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 20:45   #13
vwa1
Veteran Member

$1200? Boy, I am under-charging. Most at my shop are out the door for around $6-700 after parts and labor. Also, the aftermarket has solved these problems for the most part. Fel Pro makes improved lower intake gaskets for 3.1, 3.4, 3800, 4.3, 5.7 etc... Dorman makes an improved upper intake plenum. The funny thing is that it's called the DexCool Setlement, when it should really be called the "Poorly designed lower intake manifold gasket settlement." If they had stuck to green antifreeze most of those gaskets would have failed anyway. Oh, and from what I've read, Ford is now switching to OAT (similar type to DexCool) globally. Good article here in Motor magazine http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1655
vwa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:26   #14
PDJetta
Veteran Member

"$1200? Boy, I am under-charging".

Yes, I got a couple of quotes. I live in an area where everything is expensive. The VW dealer labor rate is up to $110 an hour now. They charge $1800 for a timing belt change with the other parts that need changing (you have to ask for this, as they do not stock the engine mount bolts) and about the same for a clutch replacement! Welcome to Northern Virginia!

--Nate
Old May 23rd, 2012, 04:50   #15
oilhammer

VW dealers here are about $130/hr. Audi is more.