Euro Hitch/Westfailia on 2012 A3 completed!

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
The more expensive route by far...But I didnt want to cut bumper, and I didnt want the hitch visible when towing. Before I even started looking at A3's to purchase, I did alot of searching for towing capacity, tow bars for the car, and making sure I didnt have to cut the bumper :)

Btw..Thanks to Eurohitches for the quickshipment and great overall service!

The results speak for themselves imo:

*** was I thinking right?

Westfalia Hitch installed

Replacement rear spoiler diffuser

Hitch

Like it was made for it???

What it will be towing (for rest of this season that is)

The only "minor" draw back....though this is easily fixed. They did not have the single exhaust pipe rear valance, and unknown shipping times on it. Since the gas turbo's use dual pipe exits, it was what was available. The opening is 6" vs 3"....Most people will not even notice this, as the pipe is still centered. I had to purchase one extra piece of the black "honey comb" inserts that go in the rear diffuser....I figured no big deal, it was a 115.00 part from my local dealer...err stealer!

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Looks like you did a great job. Your A3 is almost the exact same color as my wife's 2002 A4 Quattro wagon. I get to drive it twice a year. Once when I put on the snow tires and once when I put on the summer tires. I take if for a "test run" to make sure there is no shimmy. Hehe.

maroonfrog1

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI S-Line 2011
Wow

... you may have converted an A3 owner to go ahead and take the plunge on a Eurohitch! That is really clever, simple and elegant once it's installed! Looks like it was designed and installed at the factory. Two questions -- (1) where do the lights hook up ? and (2) do they sell an optional rear-view camera hookup with it?

Excellent work.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
... you may have converted an A3 owner to go ahead and take the plunge on a Eurohitch! That is really clever, simple and elegant once it's installed! Looks like it was designed and installed at the factory. Two questions -- (1) where do the lights hook up ? and (2) do they sell an optional rear-view camera hookup with it?

Excellent work.
I didnt use the Euro wiring harness, though they are available. The price was around 300, and by the instructions hooks up in the fuse panel. It seemed really nice, as it connected to the can-bus if programmed via VAG. But seemed alot more work than just using a regular kit power supplied kit

I followed to a point the ooo-A3 blog wiring instructions, though the running lights wiring is different on the 2012 atleast, I grabbed that off the tail-light.

For routing, I went though one of the plugs in the car following ooo-A3's instruction, then used large zip ties (stylish I know) to hold the wiring to the inside of the tow-bar, just in-case I get rear ended. The connector is held in place using factory plug connector that comes with the hitch. If you go the euro wiring route, let me know how it goes, I was on the fence about this...but choice to use the money for a different modification (i had a price cap on getting the things I wanted installed lol)

I would as well be interested in looking at some type of rear view camera down the road. I am still in the habit right now when I go to back up, of looking in my rear view expecting a picture to be visible. My last car had that setup, and it was a nice feature that I didnt expect to miss. I've seen add-ons that put a camera just above the license plate, something I might look into down the road. I did not ask about it when looking around to get the hitch installed...I was just missing my weekend fun and wishing to get back on the water!

It is the more expensive route, but I wanted to make sure the hitch when not towing was not visible. I like it, and it feels very sturdy when towing my jetski

CRdeesl

TDI
2012 a3 tdi
great solution. i don't have a need to tow, but nice to know a sleek solution if/when the time comes.

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
I like it! I have a JSW and have a Bosal on my car for all the reasons you state. The towbars are so much better than receivers if you ask me. I wish I had the molded OEM storage spot for my hitch like the A3 has next to the spare.

Zadig_TDI

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI
Westfalia Hitch

I'm looking to put a Westfalia hitch on my 2011 A3 TDI and have found this threat extremely helpful. I've found the (1) trailer lighting converter installation .pdf recommended from http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com, (2) exploded parts sheet from audionlineparts.com, and (3) the actual hitch at http://www.eurohitches.com.

I'm hoping someone might be able to answer a few questions I have before I get started on this project: (1) is the A3 8P (2006+) the the correct to order? and do I specify facelift (2009+) yes/no? (2.) Where can I order the Rear Valance Diffuser from / what is the part number? Any help you could provide would be really appreciated.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
I'm looking to put a Westfalia hitch on my 2011 A3 TDI and have found this threat extremely helpful. I've found the (1) trailer lighting converter installation .pdf recommended from http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com, (2) exploded parts sheet from audionlineparts.com, and (3) the actual hitch at http://www.eurohitches.com.
I'm hoping someone might be able to answer a few questions I have before I get started on this project: (1) is the A3 8P (2006+) the the correct to order? and do I specify facelift (2009+) yes/no? (2.) Where can I order the Rear Valance Diffuser from / what is the part number? Any help you could provide would be really appreciated.
If you go with euro hitch, it comes with the correct rear valance diffuser, they now offer the single outlet one side as an option I noticed when looking at the link, before it was dual or single each side, I ended up installing a twin exhaust tip to fill in the extra gap.

You want A3 (8P), Yes as 2009+ facelift (includes the right rear diffuser) and Single one side exhaust

Hope this helps

Zadig_TDI

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI
Thanks for your help.
One last question, does the bumper insert (foam piece) get put back on to cover the towbar?