www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 13th, 2012, 16:42   #1
ritsco
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG @ 80 MPH (I like it !)
Default 2006 Golf Hard Starting

OK, for the second time in about a month, I have had a hard time starting my 2006 Golf. First time I got back from an overseas trip, got to the airport lot at 11:30pm and went to start her up. Usually one turn of the key and she cranks right over (no matter what the temp outside). This time it tok about 5 minutes of repeated tries and ample peddle pumping to get her to kick over. Ran great after that, no other issues...........until this morning.

Got back from about 9 hours of driving around yesterday and I got home and parked her for the night. This morning, I went to turn her over and .....nothing! After about 2 minutes of trying to crank her over she started and ran great.

No smoke on either occasion and the car ran perfectly afterwards. The only piece of the puzzle that was close to the same on both occasions was that the fuel tank was at 1/4 or slightly less.

I have a feeling it maybe the lift pump, but I am not sure. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thank you.
Rocket Chip, Panzer Plate, Frost Heater, Tint, BBS RXII's, Heated Aspherical Mirrors, Euro Switch, ScanGauge II, Front and Rear Foglights, Reiger Front Lip, GLI Shocks and Springs, 3 Spoke Leather Steering Wheel, AlienTech Window Control Module, BFI Upper Rear Bar, Monster Mats, Blacked out Emblems,
Looking to add Navi and a Rear Spoiler
Avg 43 mpg so far
ritsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 18:28   #2
ritsco
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG @ 80 MPH (I like it !)

Anyone?
Rocket Chip, Panzer Plate, Frost Heater, Tint, BBS RXII's, Heated Aspherical Mirrors, Euro Switch, ScanGauge II, Front and Rear Foglights, Reiger Front Lip, GLI Shocks and Springs, 3 Spoke Leather Steering Wheel, AlienTech Window Control Module, BFI Upper Rear Bar, Monster Mats, Blacked out Emblems,
Looking to add Navi and a Rear Spoiler
Avg 43 mpg so far
ritsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 19:07   #3
nkgagne
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly in signature

The lift pump is relatively easy to test and there are a few threads on the subject. You can check if it (a) has current, (b) is providing sufficient fuel output pretty simply. If pump isn't getting current, it's a wiring issue. If it is, but won't turn, the motor may be shot (difficult to obtain, but can be separately). If it pumps but weakly, the pickup screen may be clogged with dirt.

The other obvious thing may be a clogged fuel filter. If you can't remember even vaguely the last time you replaced the fuel filter, it would be a good idea to change it, and to perhaps also replace the thermostatic tee fitting into the filter (and the o-rings that seal it). Good luck!

14 Lb SMF / SBC Stg II Daily, Mufflerectomy, Ventectomy. Possibly tuned by PO.
nkgagne is offline   Reply With Quote