www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old May 12th, 2012, 03:36   #1
Tom.

Default Uprated/stronger 02m gearsets?

Alright guys,

To cut a long story short, I've managed to strip 3rd gear in my 02m box, and in turn damage 6th.

I'm trying to find a stronger gearset that will drop straight in to the box with no issues, as I dont want to be replacing gears on a regular basis.

Just wondering if anyone has come accross or used any in the past?

I'd consider dog/sequential sets at reasonable prices too.

So far I've found this (scroll down for Ibiza TDI)

http://badger-5.com/bin/gearbox/RacingGearboxVW02M.pdf

My only concern is the ratios.

Anybody used dog sets before, and can comment on the upkeep of them?

Thanks,

Tom.
Tom. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 05:08   #2
Rub87
Veteran Member

they're some guys in Czech I think which will surely be able to help you out, forgot the name altough
Old May 13th, 2012, 10:56   #3
ryanp

I'd check the Diff was shimmed perfectly, or at least do it on the next box, Cryo treat the gears and use VW oil only. There are plenty of 700+hp 4x4 cars running drag slicks without any issues on the stock box.

Maybe you want me to limit torque on that monster GTB eh?

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:12   #4
Alcaid
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub87 View Post
they're some guys in Czech I think which will surely be able to help you out, forgot the name altough
http://www.sqsracing.com/
Alcaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:47   #5
Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanp View Post
I'd check the Diff was shimmed perfectly, or at least do it on the next box, Cryo treat the gears and use VW oil only. There are plenty of 700+hp 4x4 cars running drag slicks without any issues on the stock box.

Maybe you want me to limit torque on that monster GTB eh?
Limit torque? Don't talk silly rather chew through gearboxes. Diff was installed correctly. It has taken 100,000 miles of abuse from me so probably doesn't help the case. Managed to pick up a box with 36k on it for 350 so going to swap the diff over and chuck it back in ready for gti international.
Tom. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 12:59   #6
devonutopia
Veteran Member

Good shout. yet to have any issue with mine. I have done the trick of uprating the shifter arms. This is the first time I've heard of anyone stripping a cog though. Those internals are really solid!
http://www.devoncardetailing.gb.net/
devonutopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 13:13   #7
Rub87
Veteran Member

Last week I had one off a cupraD with the 1st and 2nd synchro weared out. this was caused by a bend shifter fork and the fact that the dmf was worn causing the clutch surface to move axially. this caused the driver to be inable to completely decouple the clutch and so accelerate the synchro wear. the bearings where also quite worn out according to the transmission guy
Old May 14th, 2012, 15:43   #8
devonutopia
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub87 View Post
Last week I had one off a cupraD with the 1st and 2nd synchro weared out. this was caused by a bend shifter fork and the fact that the dmf was worn causing the clutch surface to move axially. this caused the driver to be inable to completely decouple the clutch and so accelerate the synchro wear. the bearings where also quite worn out according to the transmission guy
Well, I am glad (in theory) neither of those two things should happen to my box.
http://www.devoncardetailing.gb.net/
devonutopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 18:11   #9
3L3M3NT
Veteran Member

This should outline your options pretty good. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...upgrade-thread

Sturgeon Bay, WI GTG October 4th, 2014. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...48#post4616148
3L3M3NT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:57   #10
Rub87
Veteran Member

what about the housing bolts? The one I took apart now came out of a 2006 cupraD, GUC coding, and it had aluminium like bolts with a torx. my gearbox was also a GUC from a cupraD but it had metal bolts...?
Old May 16th, 2012, 15:05   #11
chapelhill
Veteran Member

I think if I remember my limited gearbox knowledge correctly, highest load on gearbox is during wheelhop, not directly linked to torque of engine, but indirectly as with more engine torque you can induce wheel spin more often.

I would suspect a gear with an original material or manufacturing defect.

High use failure of manual gearbox would normally be due to either bearings wearing and or shaft/box deflection which changes gear contact geometry and results in accelerated wear/pitting on gear surface which can precipitate cracks. Once one tooth has gone the rest will follow.

Since we have few failures reported you should not need anything beyond a good condition gearbox, with strengthened selector forks.

Anything else which can reduce wheelhop such as better suspension, lsd etc I believe you have already done.

If you wanted extra strength, the upgrading bearings, strengthening casing etc would also directly help. No idea of availability of bearings or practicality of strengthening case.
Mercedes E280CDI for the wife!
chapelhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 19:50   #12
Scott_DeWitt

Sqsracing offers alternative gears for the 02M it's the only company I know of. Dog engagement requires abrupt shifting for life of the dog gears, any delays in the shift can cause wear on the dog teeth which require gear replacement.

You can cryo treat gears but even that won't yield an indestructible gearbox. I know an R32 that can strip cryo treated 02M gears at will and he's had to tune it down and not drive as crazy for gearbox life.
Old May 16th, 2012, 19:59   #13
vwmikel

Supposedly the AWD gearboxes use wider/stronger gears and some just convert them back to FWD.

vwmikel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 20:07   #14
Scott_DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmikel View Post
Supposedly the AWD gearboxes use wider/stronger gears and some just convert them back to FWD.
That is not true.
Old May 16th, 2012, 21:14   #15
vwmikel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_DeWitt View Post
That is not true.
I believe it was StingrayRT that said this. Perhaps I misunderstood.

vwmikel is online now   Reply With Quote