www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Past TDIFests > TDIFest 2012

TDIFest 2012 Discussion about TDIFest 2012 on the Labour Day weekend (August 31st to September 2nd, 2012) in Ypsilanti (Ypsi), Michigan.

Old May 10th, 2012, 11:21   #1
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature
Default Go Karting @ TDIFest? Band, food, etc.

I'm trying to gauge interest in doing a Saturday evening indoor go kart track rental from 6pm to 10pm.

Location: http://www.kart2kart.com in Sterling Heights, Michigan.

Time: 6pm - 10pm

Open track for all attendees, huge parking lot, catered food, possibility of a band.

Again, I'm trying to gauge interest, so please respond with your thoughts and ideas!

Price will be dictated by the number of attendees, but it's looking like it will be in the neighborhood of $50-75/head for the 4 hour rental.

-Lawson

Interest List
  1. VeeDubTDI
  2. compu_85
  3. Matt-98AHU
  4. oilhammer
  5. BlueCTTDi
  6. bhtooefr
  7. mrvermin
  8. blizzak
  9. +1
  10. TDiSkater
  11. rocketeer928
  12. Nash_TDI
  13. airwolf
  14. growler
  15. Torque_Delight
  16. loganbmx4gt
  17. +1
  18. MonsterTDI09
  19. validius
  20. manual_tranny
  21. mlemorie

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; May 18th, 2012 at 08:00.
VeeDubTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:25   #2
compu_85
Gadget Guy

We've had tons of fun at this place in the past:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UFoHVUC6bY

-J
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 310,000 miles. Half way there!!! Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:35   #3
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

YES PLEASE

For those who haven't experienced this place, it's pretty intense. Lots of racing memorabilia (heavy on F1 and Sports car content. There's also some VW posters as some Michigan VW Enthusiasts (MIVE) have worked there).

For an indoor track, the surface is quite sticky. Sliding the karts is difficult and will only result in making you slower. It's all about finding the right balance of bringing it to the edge of adhesion without going over. The karts typically have a top speed of more than 30 mph on this track. The steering effort is on the heavy side and can wear you out after a couple runs if you're not in shape :P

Live timing & scoring, complete with printouts. Practice sessions you are placed based on your best lap.

Plus. YOU CAN DRINK AND DRIVE! This place has a BAR. 4 beers on tap. It's amazing. We've been coming here for the post-Detroit Auto Show festivities for a few years now. It's always a blast!
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:49   #4
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I am interested, now that my tooefed arm is mostly back together. I need one with NOS, though.
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:56   #5
BlueCTTDi
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

IN. (And here are some additional characters so this will accept my post this time.)
VNT-17/22 | PD150 injectors & intake | R32 snorkel | Eurojet FMIC | GHL DP | Hi-flow cat w/ 2.5" exhaust | RC4 | DG Sigma SS & Panzer plate | Rieger shift knob | OEM dash kit | RSSR tails w/rear fog & euroswitch | W8 overhead | OEM leather Recaros | OEM HID's w/rheostat | FIS cluster | DVD player w/navi | R32 steering wheel & pedals | DRW 6-speed | SPEC 2+ clutch (DMF) | Shine RSB | Koni FSD's | Climatronic(!) | 35% tint
BlueCTTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:25   #6
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

dowantdowantdowantdowant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.

Last edited by bhtooefr; May 10th, 2012 at 12:29.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 16:32   #7
mrvermin
Veteran Member

Most Soitently.... Nyuk Nyuk ... Nyuk....

MrVermin

mrvermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 21:26   #8
blizzak
Veteran Member

I'm in for sure, and I think some of my posse would be interested too

2004 Grey TDI Sport Edition | 270,000 km | Grey | 6 speed ERF transmission with upgraded shifter fork & LSD | R32 18” Aristos | PP Downpipe, 2.5” SS exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, rest of mods in profile
Whitedog's no start thread - very useful!
blizzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 22:30   #9
TDiSkater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 Winter/41 Summer

I wouldn't cart and I have no issue with the fee (fun to watch the races), so I'm in - but the cost per couple might get a bit high for some. You might consider a race/dinner package price and a spectator/music dinner package price.

VW-OEM European Steel Skidplate | 35% LLumar Tint all around | Pano Sunroof | ScanGauge II | WeatherTech Weatherflectors and Digital Fit Floorliners l Faux TDI Mirror Etching l RGM Bumper Guard | Conti PureContact | Non-OEM Aspherical Mirrors - $3 Blind Spot Mirror | 70,000 miles |
TDiSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:29   #10
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Sounds fun to me. I would go.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo
rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:59   #11
Nash_TDI
Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 63.25mpg max

I'm in.
PD Cam tools, BSM tool, VE & PD TB tool rental available.
Nash_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:34   #12
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

Also, how would the racing be set up?

Just 4 hours of open practice?

Could there be a tournament of grands prix at the end (the number of people needed to hit the $50-75/head price point means that it'll take 4-6 grands prix just to give everyone one run of a standing start race (I think they can run 17 karts in one race, looking at the track map in the pits on their site). Take the 2-4 best finishers from every race depending on headcount, and that's another grand prix for the ultimate winner)? I figure about 10-12 minutes for an 8 minute grand prix, given turnaround for kart changes, so you could end up at 1:10 to 1:24, though, of grand prix running, if you have 102 people show up, and then the best 2 finishers (maybe best 3 minus one, but I could see some hurt feelings there) from each grand prix competing in a finale race.

Endurance could be fun, too, but could present issues with building teams, and their normal endurance setup has 2-4 drivers per kart, and runs 2 hours (plus 40 minutes of quali). That said, a 6 driver team would get 20 minutes of seat time per driver, in 2 hours, if there's 102 drivers.

Edit: Hmm, even open practice, with 4 hours, at 102 drivers, at 10 minutes per round, 6 groups, gives 4 rounds per group. 3 rounds per group if it takes 12 minutes per. That'd make anything else tricky, although their normal format for grand prix is one round of practice, one round of quali, one round of racing. If the turnaround is fast enough and turnout is low enough, two rounds of practice, a round of quali, a round of racing, and then the final race could be juuuuust squeezed in, but... that'd be tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.

Last edited by bhtooefr; May 11th, 2012 at 06:39.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 07:28   #13
airwolf
Veteran Member

I kind of like the idea of open practices. This is more of a thing to go out and hang with friends and enjoy each others company. When you start planning out actual race events you quickly realize how quickly the time gets eaten up.

With open practices, if you want be competitive among your friends, then make sure you open practice with them and have you own little mini race.

With all that said... I might be interested if we can get enough people to make the price reasonable. Would be a good place to expand my photography portfolio as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Also, how would the racing be set up?

Just 4 hours of open practice?

Could there be a tournament of grands prix at the end (the number of people needed to hit the $50-75/head price point means that it'll take 4-6 grands prix just to give everyone one run of a standing start race (I think they can run 17 karts in one race, looking at the track map in the pits on their site). Take the 2-4 best finishers from every race depending on headcount, and that's another grand prix for the ultimate winner)? I figure about 10-12 minutes for an 8 minute grand prix, given turnaround for kart changes, so you could end up at 1:10 to 1:24, though, of grand prix running, if you have 102 people show up, and then the best 2 finishers (maybe best 3 minus one, but I could see some hurt feelings there) from each grand prix competing in a finale race.

Endurance could be fun, too, but could present issues with building teams, and their normal endurance setup has 2-4 drivers per kart, and runs 2 hours (plus 40 minutes of quali). That said, a 6 driver team would get 20 minutes of seat time per driver, in 2 hours, if there's 102 drivers.

Edit: Hmm, even open practice, with 4 hours, at 102 drivers, at 10 minutes per round, 6 groups, gives 4 rounds per group. 3 rounds per group if it takes 12 minutes per. That'd make anything else tricky, although their normal format for grand prix is one round of practice, one round of quali, one round of racing. If the turnaround is fast enough and turnout is low enough, two rounds of practice, a round of quali, a round of racing, and then the final race could be juuuuust squeezed in, but... that'd be tight.

2014 F-150 AKA-Ruby

TDIFest2009 Organizer! | TDIFest2012 Organizer!
airwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 07:39   #14
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Bring a fast lens. It's not very bright in there even with all of the lights on.

I'm leaning towards open practice for the entire 4 hours. As airwolf said, it makes it more of a casual setting, people can come and go as they please, you can team up with your friends or new people, etc. I think we could add a competitive edge by offering a prize for the top three lap times of the evening.

I need to put some thought into two different pricing options - one for racing, one for spectating. Until then, we're just getting a head count.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat

Last edited by VeeDubTDI; May 11th, 2012 at 08:52.
VeeDubTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:16   #15
TDiSkater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 Winter/41 Summer

Just to clarify, I would attend, but not cart (to keep track of count of people driving). Sadly, I'm a little (okay a lot) too big to fit. But I'll cheer nice and loud.

VW-OEM European Steel Skidplate | 35% LLumar Tint all around | Pano Sunroof | ScanGauge II | WeatherTech Weatherflectors and Digital Fit Floorliners l Faux TDI Mirror Etching l RGM Bumper Guard | Conti PureContact | Non-OEM Aspherical Mirrors - $3 Blind Spot Mirror | 70,000 miles |
TDiSkater is offline   Reply With Quote