Franko6 ALH Stage II cam

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
A week ago I asked Paramedick (Bruce) and Son (Eric) to install the Franko6 ALH Stage II cam and new nitrided lifters I'd been sitting on for a few months.

I noticed the difference right away even at moderate load. Now that I'm past the two break-in oil sessions and running the recommended Schaeffer S9000 5w40, I've been giving it the gusto more now. Holy cow. Has noticeably more pull in the rev range I use, 1500 to 5000. It's about like it felt going from stock nozzles to Sprint 520s years ago.

Another thing, the engine is a LOT quieter now. Not sure if that's just from being a new cam and lifters or something specific to this cam and lifters.

Can't really quantify any changes in EGTs since we just went from spring to summer.

Anyways, I am pleased with the results.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Sounds good, I wonder if it would make much odds on a standard ALH with bigger holes, any ideas?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Sounds good, I wonder if it would make much odds on a standard ALH with bigger holes, any ideas?
Possibly. Several TDI gurus here in the States have reported gains on bone stock ALHs from a cam alone. For the cost though, a remap/tune will get you more.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Wow, I wonder who voted my thread 1 star? I just voted it 5 stars to try to offset :)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Oh, forgot to mention my current fuelling and air :

• 10mm IP, PP764s, IQ maxed at 2.8 (no hammer mod, just adaptation), full-fuel 51 mg/str + pump voltage tune.
  • 17/22, upgraded TIP, upgrade IC, upgraded IC pipes, stock head.
  • *3" exhaust with high-flow meow.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
One star? That's pretty unsportsman like. I like hearing about an after market cam making significant improvements even if it isn't the one I bought. I vote 5 stars.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
One star? That's pretty unsportsman like. I like hearing about an after market cam making significant improvements even if it isn't the one I bought. I vote 5 stars.
Ya, most of the reports of gains are with Colt cams, as they've been available longer more recently. And years ago, the Dbilas and Passenger Performance ones, too.

Edit for grammar.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'm loving my Colt Stage 2 cam(billet thru a undisclosed vendor directly from Colt)

I laughed at one star. wasn't me though.

All I can say about my gains is that it feels faster and I made some pretty good power on the dyno after(no before comparison).

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
5 stars! :p

I wonder if worn-out lifters can effect valve duration and the amount they open? If so, the change in cam accompanied by new lifters might be a combination power increase and power restoration. Just a thought.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
5 stars! :p

I wonder if worn-out lifters can effect valve duration and the amount they open? If so, the change in cam accompanied by new lifters might be a combination power increase and power restoration. Just a thought.
The factory cam and lifters weren't worn out though.:p

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Have a stage-II in wife's (otherwise, stock) '04 Passat TDI and my 'mildly'
Whitbread-modified NB-TDI.

Buy it - you'll love it. And if it's a 2004-2005 Passat TDI, get Frank's cam oiling
mods.

Night All.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
Bob since you are such a nice guy and all of those who are afraid to post when they give low marks 5 stars to you!

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
Thanks for posting Bob, I was wondering how you are liking the new cam.
Please keep us posted regarding any milage changes, or anything else.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Thanks for posting Bob, I was wondering how you are liking the new cam.
Please keep us posted regarding any milage changes, or anything else.
Loving it so far. Had accidental tire squeeling today in 2nd gear.

Very hard to compare mileage differences with it being warmer and having more highway driving than normal.

\/\/0J0

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly, none anymore
Hey Bob! Good to see you finally got that cam put in. Your car is now very similar to mine. I noticed an EGT drop of a couple hundred degrees after putting my Franko6 S2 cam in. I rarely see anything above 1200˚F, even on spirited runs. Also, power is solid all the way up past 5000 rpm, though that may have to do with Jeff's magic and an 11mm DFIS-built IP :D

snakesausage

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi A3 TDI 2002 Jetta TDI Wagon 5spd 300k miles 2000 Jetta Sedan 5spd 500k miles
I have one of Frank's stage II cams sitting on the shelf waiting to go in. I have 220K on an otherwise stock engine. I have a very consistent drive to work that I can check mileage gains/losses with.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Hi Bob,
It has been a while since you put the new cam in, have you noticed over this period any change in fuel economy?
My driving conditions vary so much, I can't say one way or another.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Bob: Any chance of a dyno? I don't know if you have a "before" one, but before and after dynos with cams are hard to come by. I'm going to dyno my car after it's broken in but since I also have a ported head, etc., I don't think it's a fair evaluation of a cam alone.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Bob: Any chance of a dyno? I don't know if you have a "before" one, but before and after dynos with cams are hard to come by. I'm going to dyno my car after it's broken in but since I also have a ported head, etc., I don't think it's a fair evaluation of a cam alone.
Slim to none. No previous dyno. :(

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's too bad. It would still be nice to see a dyno: there are enough cars out there with similar setups that you could see a comparison and see if there's a difference, especially at high revs.