www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 8th, 2012, 19:24   #1
smokey_bearme

TDI(s): 1998 jetta
Default 1998 tdi jetta no start

ok so bought this 1998 jetta as a no start i don't know where to start it cranks over at normal speed sounds like its gonna start but either does and shut right off or doesn't start and blows white unburnt smoke from exhaust. I should start I went to school for automotive but never covered diesels and this is first diesel I have ever owned. I am getting 3 codes P1163: fuel temp sensor open or short to b+, P1563: quantity adjuster low limit, P0380: glow plug heat circuit fail I just don't know to start on this car and I have had many friends recommend this site so thought I give it a try, btw it 45 degrees fahrenheit, cold rain

Last edited by smokey_bearme; May 8th, 2012 at 20:15.
smokey_bearme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 19:28   #2
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Have a browse through here for some no start stuff

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=569892

Also I sometimes get good answers searching the fault code with google, it usually brings me back here to a good thread

Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 20:21   #3
mustang_gt_350
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 jetta

Just went through a simmillair thing. with mine

Does it smoke when your trying to start it?

what is the history of the car? and how many miles?

I'm guessing the timing is a little retarded, even if its 45 deg it should still start without much complaining without the glowplugs working.

Your best bet to save yourself a TON of hassle is to just suck it up and pick up vcds. Its well worth the money. I just spent 2 months chasing down problems that I could have probably fixed in 2-3 days (no counting the head rebuild) And speaking of that for the love of god and everything holy, pull the Valve cover and check out the lifters/cam.

I would verify the timing (cam,crank,IP) and then advance the IP a little, if its not all the way advanced already. you can search for how to do this. You just roll it towards the firewall. Its like setting static timing on a gasser with a distributor. It helps to loosen the injector lines on the pump a little and don't forget the bolt thats under the injector lines, its way easier to spin the pump with that one loosened a little. Retighten and it should fire up faster if that was the problem. Atleast you can chase the other issues after you can start it.

Last edited by mustang_gt_350; May 8th, 2012 at 20:23.
mustang_gt_350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 21:18   #4
turbodieseldyke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_gt_350 View Post
I'm guessing the timing is a little retarded, even if its 45 deg it should still start without much complaining without the glowplugs working.
45 deg is "a little retarded"?? That sounds retarded.
turbodieseldyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:05   #5
schultp
Veteran Member

If you don't know the vehicle repair history I would plan on an immediate timing belt change anyway. But, you probably want to determine if the timing belt has jumped a couple teeth and led to cylinder head damage. Definitely check the timing. If it looks OK then proceed with trying to get the starting issue sorted out. Once you have ensured the engine will run then immediately do a TB change.

2010 JSW TDI, 6sp manual 1998 Jetta TDI, Bosio Sprint 520, Malone Stage 1.5
schultp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:30   #6
smokey_bearme

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_gt_350 View Post
Just went through a simmillair thing. with mine

Does it smoke when your trying to start it?

what is the history of the car? and how many miles?
yes its smokes and 205,000 and have no clue what history of car is
Old May 9th, 2012, 06:23   #7
mustang_gt_350
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseldyke View Post
45 deg is "a little retarded"?? That sounds retarded.
lol i was meaning the outside air temp.
Old May 9th, 2012, 06:24   #8
mustang_gt_350
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey_bearme View Post
yes its smokes and 205,000 and have no clue what history of car is

If its a white looking smoke its probably the timing being retarded. It will smell like unburnt diesel fuel, because thats what it is.

i have no glowplug harness on mine, and it started when it was 25deg out 3 weeks ago. It complained but it still fired, and that was even with the timing retarded out of the margin that vcds shows in the graph. If you advance it and your compression is good, it shouldnt have any problems starting in the 40's even with glow plug problems if there isn't anythign else wrong with the pump.

The other reason i asked about if it was smoking when it was trying to start was to make sure the shut off valve didn't have any problems.

Last edited by mustang_gt_350; May 9th, 2012 at 06:27.
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:10   #9
smokey_bearme

something i crank it over it runs for about a second and then dies then won't do that again i check the ohms across the glow plugs 3 were .8 ohms and last one is 32.5 ohms would that have something to do with it, the guy i bought off doesn't know when last timing belt was done because he only had for 2 months
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:21   #10
Abacus
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: And the miles just keep ticking away

It's not your glow plugs, it's too warm to worry about them now.

Where in Maine are you? I've gotten pretty good with the Mk3 platform over the years and could take a look if you're somewhat local. I also have the Vag-Com with me all the time.

I just looked at your profile and you work at Pyro City, which means either Edgecomb or Manchester, both of which are pretty close.
HEX-USB-CAN Vag-Com, A3/A4/B4 timing belt tools & manuals, IP, alt & specialty tools.

Last edited by Abacus; May 9th, 2012 at 07:33.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:31   #11
smokey_bearme

yea i work there but the car is in dover-foxcroft

Last edited by smokey_bearme; May 9th, 2012 at 07:37.
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:48   #12
Abacus
Veteran Member

That's a bit of a drive, one I cannot make this week since I'm on-call and have a 30 mile limit (work sucks sometimes). The earliest I could make it up there would be Tuesday afternoon or very early Monday morning.

I'm sure it's probably something simple if the car was running previously. I would do a search on this site because everything has probably been covered before. If the timing belt has an unknown history, it will need to be changed, especially by someone who knows these cars. Anyone else can mess it up easily which will cost you an engine.

First and foremost though, I would look for chafed wires, which seem to be prevalent on these models. I have seen 3 or 4 in the last year that had issues due to wires chafing through. I posted about it on here, but you'll have to do a search. Look specifically around the fuel pump, below the plastic sleeving around the wires.
HEX-USB-CAN Vag-Com, A3/A4/B4 timing belt tools & manuals, IP, alt & specialty tools.
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:53   #13
mustang_gt_350
Veteran Member

Awesome, looks like you found somone to give you a hand.
Old May 9th, 2012, 08:33   #14
Abacus
Veteran Member

Not if he needs the car right away. Definitely willing to help keep another Mk3 on the road, but I have to get to it first.

It took me over a week to get to a guy with a B5 V6 he needed the throttle reset (DBC) with the Vag-Com. Purrs like a kitten now but I hate that it took so long and I felt bad he had to wait.
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:36   #15
mustang_gt_350
Veteran Member

Sometimes responsibilities suck lol