www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old May 6th, 2012, 18:44   #1
ThomasKearns

Fuel Economy: 38mpg
Default Oil Dipstick tube breaks in half

So I am changing my oil for the 13th time this evening and go to push the dipstick back into the tube and the plastic tube breaks about 2/3 of the way down. Need some advice. Was about to fill it with oil. Should I hold off on adding the oil and have it towed to the shop or is this a pretty easy fix something the average Joe can fix? thanks for the help. Was heading to florida on Thursday morning so hoping it is something that can be done ASAP.
Old May 6th, 2012, 18:50   #2
JERMS
Veteran Member

Mine broke too. Pour oil into the oil fill cap and try your best to take an accurate reading from the dipstick while holding it together. OR, you can look up in your owners manual how much engine oil it takes and add that amount.

It must be a common problem, because my local VW dealership had a bunch of them in stock, $11 will get u a new one.

JERMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 18:55   #3
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Fill the engine with oil, leaving it a half quart or half liter low. Duct tape the opening closed to keep foreign material out of the engine. You can now operate the car.

Call the dealership and see if they have the part in stock. Call all dealerships in your line of travel and see if they have the part in stock... your own dealer may be able to help with this. Once you find the part is stock, drive to the stocking dealer (with your engine one half quart/liter low) and they can install the part in a few minutes(an hour).

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 20:01   #4
ThomasKearns

Thanks for the quick responses. I did fill it with plenty of oil and if I can get the part it looks like a fairly manageable fix. Looks like it is not boltrd on, but could not tell as it was getting dark.
Old May 6th, 2012, 21:11   #5
DeliveryValve
Veteran Member

Here is my experience.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=334360

I ended up joining the two halves temporarily together by a piece of coolant hose. Others have just plug it up with a plastic/rubber wine bottle cork until they got the new tube.

Old May 6th, 2012, 22:52   #6
ThomasKearns

How easy is it to break off/remove the remaining tube? And install the new one?
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:12   #7
1854sailor
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Great!

It will just pull off of the metal tube and the new one slides right on.
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:14   #8
s4phillips
Veteran Member

Location: Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific Northwet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasKearns View Post
How easy is it to break off/remove the remaining tube? And install the new one?
Easy to break and easy to remove the remaining tube. New on pushes on with a bit of force. Push hard until it seats on with a firm click. The tube from a ALH 1.9L will fit in a pinch. If I recall correctly, VW calls this a funnel.

This is a normal wear item for these cars. Probably should be on the preventive maintenance schedule for replacement with every timing belt.
2003 DL1000K3
s4phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 05:25   #9
Tyler E

Fuel Economy: 42C-50H

mine literally broke two days ago too i ordered one from my mechanic and just caped the dip stick hole with a coke cap and tape until i go pick the new tube up.

5th brake light, VDO Boost Gauge, Evry Mod
Tyler E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:47   #10
ThomasKearns

Local dealer has it in stock. Picking up this afternoon.
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:39   #11
Zambee500
Veteran Member

Mine broke in January around 135k miles. There's a thread here somewhere about a metal replacement that would be more permanent, but I think they were $80-ish. For $11, the plastic ones every TB change makes more sense to me.

Fyi, others have noted in other threads that the plastic oil funnels are more likely to break when the engine cover is removed. The engine cover prevents (or decreases) the plastic funnel from vibrating as much when the engine is running. I suspect mine more likely broke due to the 135k total miles, but I did happen to remove the engine cover some time last year and didn't put it back on so that could've played a part or hastened its demise.

And yes, the plastic/rubber wine corks seem to fit perfectly as a temp. fix to allow you to drive to pick up the part at the dealership.
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:41   #12
Zambee500
Veteran Member

Sorry, I didn't look at the link that DeliveryValve posted... but that's the thread where I got all my information from in January (summarized above)
Old May 7th, 2012, 20:04   #13
ThomasKearns

Installed this afternoon. Thanks for the advice.
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:58   #14
Muleman
Veteran Member

Mine broke at my last oil change(watched my guy snap it off replacing the filter) He got a little excited as he was already having a bad day. They melted the old plastic one together with his co-workers welder. (They clearly had done that before.) He called VW, got a new in a couple days. He said they told him they break all the time. He wasn't going to charge me for it and I told him no way. I said I'd rather have him to pay for the really expensive stuff he breaks, not the cheap stuff.................

Regards PJ
Muleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:02   #15
79_Limited

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

I just went though this. It was an say fix. Inside the oil tube I had a ring of the plastic tube broken on the inside. I stuffed a small paper towline below the tube so any plastic pieces that fell were caught by the paper towl. I would hate for those pieces to fall into the engine.

As someone else said I heated up the plastic tube with hoot water before installing and it clicked easily into place.
Sold 2003 Jetta TDI auto 2008 VW New Beetle 1988 Porsche 911
79_Limited is offline   Reply With Quote