www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 6th, 2012, 09:36   #1
bigolac

TDI(s): 99 Beetle
Default Intake Manifold Clean

Yep - I just did it yesterday with the help of my 8 year old assistant. Took us about 3 hours, including cleaning the intake. Here's the before:

And an after:

I worked off of two or three different write-ups from tdiclub, vortex, newbeetle, etc.
I had the hardest time removing the four 6mm bolts for the intake and output for the egr cooler. Two were rusted shut and had to be pb blasted and hammered (lightly ), but they finally came out.
We took it for a short test drive - I can't say I feel a performance increase, but it feels good to have done it. Spending my afternoon with one of my sons is nice too...
Thanks to the community again for a new New Beetle owner to tackle this project!
Now - onto my next two projects - diesel purge, and evry mod!
- Adam
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:55   #2
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: life time average above 50 MPG
Default Cleaning the Intake.......all the challenges!

Awesome!

Yep, seems some of those bolts are not only difficult to access, but are usually way to tight!

Your engine will now breath much better! You can dissconnect the supplemental oxygen now!
AndyBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:03   #3
TDIswanted

The hardest part after you clean the manifold is getting your hands clean again... that egr stuff stains like crazy. You can usualy tell when i've done one within the last week because thats how long your hands stay black.
TDIswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 13:25   #4
Nuje
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1250km/tank

^^^ In a similar vein, I was hoping to see a photo of his "assistant", just to see how much of the black goo he managed to get on himself.
Nuje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 14:58   #5
bigolac

My assistant came out of the experience nearly unscathed, save for a few splatters on his legs from the de-greaser spilling out on the gravel.... I needed two clean hands to run the camera for me.
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:23   #6
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec

I'm currently repacing the turbo on an 03 Beetle ALH engine. The anti shutter valve picture above is a good way to keep tabs on the turbo's health. The carbon build up pictured above is DRY. When the turbo SEAL starts to go bad this DRY carbon build will be WET from oil leaking past the turbo seal. At that point its best to check the intercooler for oil.Pull off the intercooler hose. You may find a good bit of oil. A lot of oil may not be an indicator of a bad turbo seal as this oil tends to build up over time. You'll need to clean/drain any oil from the intercooler and then recheck it again after running the car for a couple hundred miles. I decided to change out my turbo because mine was leaking approx.1 to 1-1/2 ounce in about 140 mile round trip to work and back.If left unchecked oil build up can cause an engine run away from oil injestion.
Hope that helps.

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!

Last edited by dweisel; May 7th, 2012 at 03:36.
dweisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:03   #7
03Springer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Avg 50

Curious, the EGR valve you are holding has an elctrical plug on it. Is that strictly a Beetle thing?
03Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 15:24   #8
bigolac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweisel View Post
I'm currently repacing the turbo on an 03 Beetle ALH engine. The anti shutter valve picture above is a good way to keep tabs on the turbo's health. The carbon build up pictured above is DRY. When the turbo SEAL starts to go bad this DRY carbon build will be WET from oil leaking past the turbo seal. At that point its best to check the intercooler for oil.Pull off the intercooler hose. You may find a good bit of oil. A lot of oil may not be an indicator of a bad turbo seal as this oil tends to build up over time. You'll need to clean/drain any oil from the intercooler and then recheck it again after running the car for a couple hundred miles. I decided to change out my turbo because mine was leaking approx.1 to 1-1/2 ounce in about 140 mile round trip to work and back.If left unchecked oil build up can cause an engine run away from oil injestion.
Hope that helps.
Thanks for your insight - I'll have to find out where the intercooler hose is and check it out!
Old May 7th, 2012, 21:35   #9
Fallon

I'll be cleaning mine out this weekend to get rid of the awful whistling. Would you mind posting links to all the DIY's you found helpful?
Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 21:52   #10
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Springer View Post
Curious, the EGR valve you are holding has an elctrical plug on it. Is that strictly a Beetle thing?
Not a Beetle thing. That is the solenoid for the ASV and rather than risk breaking the nipple, the solenoid was unbolted from the intake manifold.

That's my guess, but I would put money on it.
whitedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:40   #11
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolac View Post
Thanks for your insight - I'll have to find out where the intercooler hose is and check it out!
Look down at the forward edge of the passenger fender and you'll see the intercooler. There is a short piece of rubber hose with hose clamp on each end.This hose is approx.2 inches in dia.and 3 inches long. It connects the intercooler to the hard plastic line. Remove both hose clamps.You may not be able to get the hose off yet. Follow the hard line up and you will see where it has a 10mm mounting stud.(Sorta slightly hidden) remove the nut on the stud.Now pull down on the pipe to give you some wiggle room. Once the pipe is off the stud you can remove the 2 inch hose. Have a drain pan ready to catch any oil.

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!

Last edited by dweisel; May 8th, 2012 at 12:12.
dweisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 05:56   #12
bigolac

Links:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/Int...d_Cleaning.pdf
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/VW/...AKEMAN101b.htm
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...TDI-carbon.htm
Old May 8th, 2012, 13:13   #13
03Springer
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Avg 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog View Post
Not a Beetle thing. That is the solenoid for the ASV and rather than risk breaking the nipple, the solenoid was unbolted from the intake manifold.

That's my guess, but I would put money on it.
My EGR doesn't have that on it, just the ASV vacum port. That's why I was curios if that is strictly Beetle????
03Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 15:26   #14
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

Your EGR has the vacuum port and the line is still attached to the solenoid. The solenoid is normally attached to the intake manifold, but was unbolted and removed with the EGR valve.
whitedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:34   #15
duwem
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45mpg Average, Shooting for 50

So to clean the intake manifold itself, what method do you guys use?

I have heard of:

Burning the stuff out (could overhead and warp it I would assume)
Media blasting it (bad if you get sand left in there)
Soaking (in what and what do you do after you soak)
Pressure washing (does that work?)
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote