www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old May 4th, 2012, 05:27   #1
Qui-Gon_Gene

Default Fuel filter brand?

Does anyone know if Pentius brand fuel filters are good? I am looking at fuel filters on rockauto.com, and the Pentius filters are less than half the price of Wix, Mann, or Beck/Arnley. I know Wix and Mann are good, but I don't know anything about Beck/Arnley or Pentius. The Pentius are tempting because of the price, but the price also makes me wonder if they are worth buying.
Any of them are cheaper than going to the local parts stores.
I also have the same brand conundrum with air filters. I am also considering an AEM or K&N washable air filter. This is my first diesel car. Are the washable air filters a good idea?
Anyone have advice for me? Thanks!

Last edited by Qui-Gon_Gene; May 4th, 2012 at 05:37.
Qui-Gon_Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:18   #2
Hurricane Drew
Veteran Member

Stick to the german brands. Mann, Hengst, etc. won't regret it.
Hurricane Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:40   #3
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

No washable filters on TDIs. Period. Do a search to learn why.
Again...stick to OEM brands. It's not worth risking an issue to "save" a few pennies.
IMHO, of course.
Old May 4th, 2012, 06:43   #4
Honeydew
Veteran Member

Yes stick to the OE suppliers. Out of curiosity I bought Beck/Arnley primary fuel filter and oil filter for my benz from rockauto and both boxes contained Mann filters.

K&N air filters are generally not a good choice for turbo diesels. Just stick with the OE paper style, they flow and filter well and have a long service life.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:04   #5
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Yes, as mentioned, the service life on the filters is quite long, so a couple bucks doesn't cover the questionable factor. I do however use NAPA Gold (Wix) filters since I trust them and are available locally in my rural area.
Do a search and learn why to avoid the "reusable" air filters. The OEM intake filter system is more than adequate.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:08   #6
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

So you guys think Wix is ok for VW fuel/oil filters? I use Wix for marine/industrial engine filters and always thought the quality was ok. Never thought to use them for my VW, but may on next go.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:20   #7
Hurricane Drew
Veteran Member

I stick to the MANN brand. A catastrophic fuel related meltdown on the TDI is probably more expensive than I want to deal with by saving $5-$10 on a fuel filter.
Hurricane Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:00   #8
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
So you guys think Wix is ok for VW fuel/oil filters? I use Wix for marine/industrial engine filters and always thought the quality was ok. Never thought to use them for my VW, but may on next go.
I have used a couple of the OEM type Wix fuel filters and currently have a WIX "eqivalent" to the CAT filter unit in the '01 Jetta. I have no complaints/problems.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 15:00   #9
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

I recommend staying away from any oiled air filters. They are especially subject to problems with our TDI's most all K&N filters are oiled. Their dry filters are OK.
Old May 6th, 2012, 19:48   #10
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (512k miles)

Wix oil filters (NAPA Gold) are fine.

As for air filters, I agree with the advice to avoid K&N -- but the Amsoil Ea air filter is a totally different animal. When I run out of my current stock, I think I will give the Ea filter a try.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx
'03 Golf with 512k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 16:29   #11
steffen707
Veteran Member

I was looking at the idparts.com website and for $43 bucks they have a fuel filter, oil filter, cabin filter and air filter. They said the air filter and oil filter are made by mann, they said the fuel filter is OEM. So what exactly does that mean? Can that be trusted?

link is http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=411
steffen707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 16:31   #12
steffen707
Veteran Member

actually i think the fuel filter is mann, or for $1 more you can get a hengst.

Is this a good deal? for $43, that sounds pretty good to me, you can get another mann oil filter for another $5.95.
steffen707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 18:45   #13
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/41/36 (512k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
I was looking at the idparts.com website and for $43 bucks they have a fuel filter, oil filter, cabin filter and air filter. They said the air filter and oil filter are made by mann, they said the fuel filter is OEM. So what exactly does that mean? Can that be trusted?
link is http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=411
The filter change intervals are different for each, or should be unless you decide to keep it simple.
'03 Golf with 512k miles: Kerma Bosio PP520, GT1749VB, Passenger Performance 2.5" DP, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Koni Reds, Recaros, Akebono pads/Zimmerman rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Neuspeed, always Mobil 1 TDT
Foobert's TDI Hunt -- all Craigslist TDI ads nationwide -- TDI Trusted Mechanics by jwlionking
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 18:52   #14
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Read and understand the service intervals in your owners manual. Idparts IS a trusted vendor.
Contact the Guru nearest you and see if there is a GTG in the works. (Get ToGether..)

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 18:57   #15
Dunno513
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44.5 lifetime

http://www.amazon.com/Mann-Filter-WK...ype=automotive

Amazon is really stepping up to the plate with their auto part selections.
Dunno513 is offline   Reply With Quote