www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old May 1st, 2012, 14:09   #1
bdmartinek

TDI(s): 2002 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 45 Highway, 36 City
Default Transmission and Differential Fluid Change

Hi!

I just had the transmission fluid changed for an automatic transmission, 02 Jetta. I was planning to have the differential fluid changed as well, but the shop said that the differential wasn't separate from transmission. I thought that this was true of the manual transmissions but not of the automatic. Can anyone confirm this? If the differential fluid is separate from the transmission in an automatic, I want to make sure I have the fluid changed. It would need to be done.

Thanks for you help.

(If the differential fluid is separate, can someone please tell me how you locate and access it, and how much fluid it would take to change it over.)
bdmartinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 14:14   #2
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

it is most certainly separate....uses sythetic gear oil....you can use a pelo to suck it out through the speedo drive gear hole and refill using the same hole....years ago I working on a NB that had a chewed up speedo worm gear....when I called the dealership to find out what oil to use in the final drive they were adamant that it shared the autobox side fluid,....and how many years has VW been making the 01M?after a heated back and forth with the dealer tech I just gave up went to advance and got some mobil1 gear oil and all was happy.... and the kicker was the dealership tech actually called me back after consulting the service manual (imagine that) to let me know that the 01M did have separate gear oil for the final drive...
'You know what? This is a business.' So, now, I just keep my mouth shut and pet my chihuahuas." Mickey Rourkefor sale thread "The junk man cometh' Eurojet FMIC Kit for Sale !!!" Let Me Build Your Standalone TDI Swap Harness!!! PM me for details!!

Last edited by jimbote; May 1st, 2012 at 14:22.
jimbote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 14:33   #3
davebugs

Definately takes gear lube on diff side.

I do believe it's the same lube as used in manual gear boxes.
davebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 18:06   #4
bdmartinek

Thanks for confirming that. (It's crazy that a dealer wouldn't know that the automatic takes separate fluid, but that's what this forum is for, right!)

I suppose I'll just take care of the fluid change myself, but I don't know where the "speedo drive gear hole" is located. Could someone give me a rough idea? Is there a cable that I would follow to get to it, or is it located near the transmission, front/ rear? Also, do I need a special tool to remove it or is it tricky to get to? And how much gear oil does it take? I don't have a Pelo, so would any generic pump from a auto parts store work?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old May 1st, 2012, 18:14   #5
davebugs

Pella or similar to suck it out.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:06   #6
bdmartinek

I found a good thread that explains how to change the differential oil on an automatic. For any one interested, here's the link:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=142277
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:12   #7
jcrews
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

G052145S2 x1 (dry capacity 0.75 L) in case you are interested. It's supposedly (according to VW) a 75W90 synthetic.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 16:49   #8
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

An decent synthetic GL-5 gear lube should work, all it does is lube the diff gears.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 16:56   #9
davebugs

I should point out that I'm painfully aware of 3 01m failures due to the diff. Two in my car (the original that went 60k and the VW reman they installed under warranty that went 155k) and a dead Jetta I bought from another member.

I dream of something as simple as a valve body rebuild.

When the diff grenades usually the car wont move (even if dragged) one direction - in my cases reverse. The axles had to be removed every time.

Change the diff fluid!
Old May 2nd, 2012, 18:49   #10
fruitcakesa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.1- the 03's first tank!

Had my diff checked for the 1st time 170k+ miles. It was down about 1/2 so had it sucked out and refilled with synth 75-90.
Whew, so much for lifetime fluid!

2003 Jetta TDI 5 spd manual 203k+ my new ride now with working turbo
fruitcakesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 19:47   #11
bdmartinek

Thanks jcrews for the part # on the differential oil. That's some pricey oil. Is there really that much of a difference between what Volkswagen recommends and what you can get at an auto parts store?

Also, I need to get an oil extractor to do the job. I know that the Pela 6000 comes highly recommended but I wanted see if there are any other suggestions. Would Napa carry a comparable product at a better price?
Old May 2nd, 2012, 19:50   #12
jcrews
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

I would use a high quality synthetic gear oil at 75W90. There aren't any brass synchros to deal with so GL5 is OK.

I bought a Moeller brand 5L unit at a west marine store many years ago, and it works very well. It think I paid about $60 for it.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 20:41   #13
bdmartinek

This is random for this thread, but, out of curiosity, how do the engine oils provided by IDparts.com rank in comparison to Mobil 1 TDT? Are they equivalent, is one better than the other, or is one preferred? What's the best oil on the market for a TDI? I haven't used idparts before, but it looks like a credible website. Has anyone had problems with them or would they recommend anyone else?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:18   #14
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG City with the previous 01M, 5-speed 60+ MPG City. Always searching for ways to make it better!!

Also, most of those diff covers leak/seep oil especially now with their age. Keep an eye out for any leaking on the cover gasket. It is a paper type gasket, and not available separate to my knowlege. Available only as part of a tranny rebuild kit from what I remember from my research. Also, I noticed a slight bump in FE when I changed mine to Mobil One 75w90 full synthetic. Good luck.
Now have Nokian Entyre Low RR tires!
josh8loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:37   #15
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmartinek View Post
...out of curiosity, how do the engine oils provided by ...
OK, just STOP RIGHT THERE!

Switch to the fuel and lubes forum and read to your heart's content.
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote