NEED HALP! injector pump swap @ Travis AFB

DH303

TDI
'01 Golf '99 Jetta
My faithful '98 Jetta sputtered out, so I have a new injector pump in my hands that was ordered. Also in hand is a $13 ebay VAG COM cable with the software that came with it....so after reading into the repair it looks like I shouldn't try to wing this one, I'm looking for someone to come out and help me or do the repair, I'll pay you. Mobile diesel mechanic from the bay area will do it for $280 but I wanted to check here before going ahead with that.

I'm fearful of jacking the timing up & know that once I got it installed I'd be lost on the software side of things. PM me if interested, thanks guys

Niner

duplicate account, banned
My faithful '98 Jetta sputtered out, so I have a new injector pump in my hands that was ordered. Also in hand is a $13 ebay VAG COM cable with the software that came with it....so after reading into the repair it looks like I shouldn't try to wing this one, I'm looking for someone to come out and help me or do the repair, I'll pay you. Mobile diesel mechanic from the bay area will do it for $280 but I wanted to check here before going ahead with that.
I'm fearful of jacking the timing up & know that once I got it installed I'd be lost on the software side of things. PM me if interested, thanks guys
Send a private message to Matt-98AHU, he is a noted TDI guru. If you are doing your pump and you are in there already, and it has not been recently done, have your timing belt replaced also with a complete timing belt kit from Bora Parts. Matt's work is impeccable and his prices are good also, as well as he is mobile. No matter how you do it, you'll be paying for some fuel and driving time.

BTW, no one else knows what TAFB is, list your location as Travis AFB, CA nothing but mostly civvies here.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
BTW, no one else knows what TAFB is, ...
BRAAT! Wrong! :D

I was stationed there 1969-1971 in the 1901st Communications Squadron.
My father was stationed there 1955-58 in the 72nd Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) as line chief for the RB-36 Peacemaker.

...list your location as Travis AFB, CA nothing but mostly civvies here.
Correct, but I'm sure there is a good percentage of military-related here, be they active, reserve/guard, retired, or just veteran. :D

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
who is this mobile diesel mechanic? Is he proficient at VW's?

x2 for Matt-98AHU. How many miles on your timing belt?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Here's a better question. Where did you get this brand new pump? Who, where, what, how much. This is for your wellbeing, as I'm concerned you may have gone cheap.

DH303

TDI
'01 Golf '99 Jetta
Niner, you may want to update your vehicle to be more specific because not many here will know what, "a gray one" is.

The perception of the military is quite skewed, from my observations. I work with more civilians/reserve guys than active duty. Everyone I meet in CA thinks I'm automatically a right wing, war hawk when they first learn I'm active duty. I don't really care to give the internet my exact location, so TAFB works just fine.

As George Carlin said, "I was never in the military, I was in the Air Force." That's all I'm gonna say lol

I got my injector pump from ebay off a rebuild outfit on the east coast for about $748 with a $300 refund once I send the core back. Getting in touch with Matt & thinking about it a little more, the pump may be fine but the computer in limp mode. My attempt at the hammer mod did not imprive things though. Timing belt could use a freshening I am sure.

New to the forum but have loved my TDI since going diesel. I would bet I have seen more places out here than anyone on base & get away from the ghetto of fairfield to abalone dive etc. Any time I am free. 1998 no smog FTW

Last edited:

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Niner, you may want to update your vehicle to be more specific because not many here will know what, "a gray one" is.
The perception of the military is quite skewed, from my observations. I work with more civilians/reserve guys than active duty. Everyone I meet in CA thinks I'm automatically a right wing, war hawk when they first learn I'm active duty. I don't really care to give the internet my exact location, so TAFB works just fine.
As George Carlin said, "I was never in the military, I was in the Air Force." That's all I'm gonna say lol
I got my injector pump from ebay off a rebuild outfit on the east coast for about $748 with a $300 refund once I send the core back. Getting in touch with Matt & thinking about it a little more, the pump may be fine but the computer in limp mode. My attempt at the hammer mod did not imprive things though. Timing belt could use a freshening I am sure.
New to the forum but have loved my TDI since going diesel. I would bet I have seen more places out here than anyone on base & get away from the ghetto of fairfield to abalone dive etc. Any time I am free. 1998 no smog FTW
Have you had that tdi long? I think you'll find your 1998 does indeed have smog check here in California annually, if registered in the state of CA.