Anyone ordered from hansautoparts?

shwagondawheels

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI 420K and truckin
Unfortunately I have and some things where good and cheap and not too far off in quality and other parts where cheap as hell for a reason and I wasted time + money because I had to go buy a better part from a legit source in the end..

But I need a set of connecting rods for my spare AHU and I really don't feel like dishing out 500 to 800 for new ones..

Hans has them for $29 a rod.. too good to be true. has to be right?

Anyone here used these before from this distributor?

they list part number 028 198 401 F

Last edited:

marleyi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI 2015 Golf Sportswagen
Unless you need to buy a post card from him I would recommend staying away from his parts. Just google prothe and you shall see the light....

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
$30 for one of the most critical parts of your engine? I don't care who it's coming from, when a part is that much different in price, the red flags start flying.

Contact user Franko6 for a better option on rods. Rods that will be balanced and high quality.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
lol, not getting much on "Prothe" search besides back here.. same guy or somebody better?
There's only one Prothe (thank God!) The following link shows many of his sites. When his sites get well known, he just changes names and continues to kill TDIs.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=320500

Stay away from any of Prothe's sites. Also Rothenbacher Engineering (same guy). He has single-handedly destroyed more TDIs than any other person. He sell C.R.A.P. (Chinese Replacement Auto Parts). These parts usually fail and cause much collateral damage.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Do a search here for Prothe. He is well known and best avoided.

Last edited:

shwagondawheels

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice, thanks guys for the warnings and that last link..

I will stay away from "Rothenbacher Engineering" from now on and tell friends to do the same...

Last edited:

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Chinese Replacement Auto Parts (C.R.A.P.) are always cheaper. There is only one reason that Rothenbacher has got so many sites; To fool you more than once with his junk.

Besides, the only way you are going to get accurately sized rods is by matching them to the block you have. VW needs the VIN to match your rods and only sell them as a set. We use the reciprocating rod (1 & 2 are one set; 3 & 4 are the other reciprocating set). That is the only way to assure proper piston projection.

We've put together hundreds of piston/ rod sets. Only got one complaint when I didn't return some old rings. Don't use old piston rings. Get new rings, ok?

Feel free to call if you need additional information.

shwagondawheels

Veteran Member
TDI
Chinese Replacement Auto Parts (C.R.A.P.) are always cheaper. There is only one reason that Rothenbacher has got so many sites; To fool you more than once with his junk.

Besides, the only way you are going to get accurately sized rods is by matching them to the block you have. VW needs the VIN to match your rods and only sell them as a set. We use the reciprocating rod (1 & 2 are one set; 3 & 4 are the other reciprocating set). That is the only way to assure proper piston projection.

We've put together hundreds of piston/ rod sets. Only got one complaint when I didn't return some old rings. Don't use old piston rings. Get new rings, ok?

Feel free to call if you need additional information.

I called you once once last week and never got a reply.. did I have the wrong number? Ben a Malone tuner in Newport News, VA that chipped my car, gave me your number when I had issues last week and needed a head quick..

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Unless you need to buy a post card from him I would recommend staying away from his parts. Just google prothe and you shall see the light....
He can't even do that right. Have you seen his reviews? He sends folks vintage postcards but actually uses the postcard. So instead of your vintage item in an envelope, he covers them in crap stamps and writes all over it, just for you.

Thanks Prothe.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
He can't even do that right. Have you seen his reviews? He sends folks vintage postcards but actually uses the postcard. So instead of your vintage item in an envelope, he covers them in crap stamps and writes all over it, just for you.

Thanks Prothe.