www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 18:35   #1
loonytuna

Default Towing - 2012 Jetta TDI Sportwagon

I'm back to owning a TDI and very happy about it!

One of the primary reasons I bought this car was the ability to tow the motorcycle with it, I had a TDI previously and it towed great.

The current bike and trailer weight is right at 1,000 lbs.

BUT, I read the owners manual, and the DSG (same tranny I had before) says NO TOWING..........

Is this a change for 2012?

Anyone have experience with this?

Is there a "good" reason for me not to tow ...... forgetting the warranty issue.

Thanks!
loonytuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 03:35   #2
loonytuna

test reply
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:13   #3
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

I can't answer your question, but if I wanted to tow, I would have bought a manual.
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:38   #4
wolfskin
Veteran Member

The tech data I find on the german VW site states towing capacities of 750/1500/1700 Kg for the "Golf Variant" 140hp TDI with DSG for unbraked / 12% braked / 8% braked trailers (the %-age gives the fraction of trailer inertia that is transferred to the towing vehicle).

Are you sure your owner's manual is not talking about tow-starting the vehicle being prohibited? That's a no-no since ages....
wolfskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:49   #5
loonytuna

Belome - I have the owners manual - see the below, copied from the manual.

Wolfskin - That's interesting, the German site contradicts the manual .. more confusion for me! - lol

On Page 161 - 140 hp (103 kW) diesel engine with DPF
DSG@ 6S automatic - This vehicle cannot be used to tow a trailer
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:02   #6
LRTDI
Veteran Member

Kick back and read this thread.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=302838

And VW UK towing guide

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/go...ngines/towing/

Something tells me, VW lawyers just trying to avoid problems.
LRTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:25   #7
loonytuna

LRTDI - Thanks, I had read that post first.

Maybe this is a change in the 2012 owners manual?

I did get the dealer that sold me the vehicle to agree to install the tow hitch and wiring, so I have a fall back position.

What I'm looking for is anyone with a "reason" why this would have changed.

I am thinking, like some others, it's just a "cover my butt" position being taken by VW.
Old April 25th, 2012, 08:18   #8
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

I can't answer the legal side of things but trust me that thing can tow just fine if it is like my fathers 09 sportwagon. He has towwed a Bike and Trike Harley Ultraclassics (the heaviest) together. Also had a few L&G tractors behind him at the same time. And a stationary JD W engine (heavy) as well. He is at 130K miles and counting. Had the dreaded exhaust flap ($600) the other week. A bad rim (bad since new-wobbled/bent), and a couple other things. He also had my brother add a 2 inch reciever hitch (I have a build thread).
2004 Golf-2 inch lift, Q-loader stage 1 tune
Vag-Com owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 15:45   #9
tdi_addict

I heard DSG has no torque converter and the internal transmission temperatures were hot enough to melt the clutch friction discs trailer towing. The DSG may be "more efficient" but I would gladly give up 2-3 MPG with a Tip to gain towing ability with this wicket 2L TDi
tdi_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 06:43   #10
redbarron55
Veteran Member

I believe that the British ratings for towing are very similar for the manual and DSG transmissions. There is less than 50 KG difference as I remember and the biggest difference may be between trailers with brakes and without.
I think the rating with brakes is around 3500 lbs.
The extreme heat with automatics comes form the torque converter and not the gears. The DSG has no torque converter and once the clutches have engaged fully then there would be no slippage and therefore no additional heating form that source.
The additional sipllage and wear and tear would be when starting from a standstill. The silpping to get the car moving would be just like starting with a manual and probably with the very low gearing with the DSG and the computer operating the clutch the resulting wear and heat would be less than most manual drivers foot.
Without a doubt there would be some manual operators that could beat the DSG, but probably very few.
Once the car is moving the DSG would match road speed and engine speed probaly better than all but the very best drivers.
The only drawback would be the high cost of replacement of the DSG over the manual.
I think a light trailer would be of little or no concern at 1500 lbs, especially if you took it easy starting.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:24   #11
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

once loaded, I find it easier if I put the dsg in sports mode to start out. Gives it a little more torque before shifting. once it's shifted up to about third, I'll pop it back into D and have no issues.
Old December 4th, 2013, 21:07   #12
mwrluthier

Default Tow Hookup Frustration

I'm a newbie with the TDI, and blindly hooked up a standard U-Haul 2-1 light hookup for a small utility trailer. I occasionally need to haul a washing machine or some stuff from Home Depot. The left rear brake light has gone out. I checked the bulb and it was not blown, replaced it anyway. Disconnected the tow harness, and the left brake still did not work. Went to the dealer, and they charged me $100 to check it out. They said that they needed to replace the portion of the wiring that I had hooked onto, and it would be another $350 to order the wiring and clips. I said no, but cannot figure how to troubleshoot the left brake being out.

When the dealer checked the light out, they made the warning light go out on the dash, but still no brake light.

Half tempted to just wire the other brake light to it, but afraid of what it will do to the wiring system??

I understand the concerns about the DSG tranny, but living in Fresno, it's completely flat so no substantial stress in getting started from a stop with a 4x6 trailer.

HELP!!!!
mwrluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:18   #13
9mmkungfu
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrluthier View Post
I'm a newbie with the TDI, and blindly hooked up a standard U-Haul 2-1 light hookup for a small utility trailer. I occasionally need to haul a washing machine or some stuff from Home Depot. The left rear brake light has gone out. I checked the bulb and it was not blown, replaced it anyway. Disconnected the tow harness, and the left brake still did not work. Went to the dealer, and they charged me $100 to check it out. They said that they needed to replace the portion of the wiring that I had hooked onto, and it would be another $350 to order the wiring and clips. I said no, but cannot figure how to troubleshoot the left brake being out.
When the dealer checked the light out, they made the warning light go out on the dash, but still no brake light.
Half tempted to just wire the other brake light to it, but afraid of what it will do to the wiring system??
I understand the concerns about the DSG tranny, but living in Fresno, it's completely flat so no substantial stress in getting started from a stop with a 4x6 trailer.
HELP!!!!
I'm curious to see if there was any resolution to your situation.
9mmkungfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:35   #14
TDI2000Zim
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47.2 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytuna View Post
I'm back to owning a TDI and very happy about it!

One of the primary reasons I bought this car was the ability to tow the motorcycle with it, I had a TDI previously and it towed great.

The current bike and trailer weight is right at 1,000 lbs.

BUT, I read the owners manual, and the DSG (same tranny I had before) says NO TOWING..........

Is this a change for 2012?

Anyone have experience with this?

Is there a "good" reason for me not to tow ...... forgetting the warranty issue.

Thanks!
I don't see any "NOT ALLOWED ON DSG EQUIPPED VEHICLES" warning here: http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2012_V...Sportwagen.htm .
TDI2000Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 14:07   #15
OnDasher

Anybody know if the 2014 model still has official VW towing restrictions in North America? And, as anybody confirmed any differences in European models that explain this towing restriction in North America? Same engine, same tranny, same brakes?

European models win towing awards, and even come from the factory with nifty fold-away hitches built into the bumper.