Which fuse is the radio fuse?

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
So, the little white card on the fuse panel door didn't quite cut it.

Which fuse is the fuse for the radio?

[edit - below the correct fuse is circled.]

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Fuse 37 via the radio terminal 86s circuit (one of four circuits directly from the ignition switch)............according to the Bentley (and my experience).

Hope this helps!

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
42 was the winner... pulled it for 10 seconds and put it back in and the radio works again. Apparently there is a TSB for this issue from back in the day.

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
Yeah the owners manual is lacking SO I took a photo copy of a repair manual showing which fuse does what and I keep it with the with the owners manual

SoCalC

Veteran Member
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=365845

I have a 5amp in the 42 slot and 25amp in the 43. When I pull the 42 slot the radio still works. When I pull 43, the radio quits. Overhead and door lights still work. The little pic on the fuse card makes 43 look engine related, so I am guessing it wont crank and some other stuff. Why have the radio tied into that one and not some 5 or 10 or 15 amp non-driving the car related stuff?

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Look carefully at the molded slots. Each has a number molded in it. Make sure you're looking at the correct one, as it's easy to be off. 43 is used for some engine controls, like the clutch and brake switches, as well as aux heat relay coils.

42, for the radio, should be 25A.
43, for engine, should be 10A.

Last edited:

SoCalC

Veteran Member
alright, well I pulled the 25 amp an am now checking for draws. charger hooked up as we speak and so far has it at full and has not cycled back on. Usually with my longstanding 8 year draw it would cycle into float charge within 5 minutes, knock on wood nothing for about 10 minutes now. Is that fuse only for the radio or other stuff piggy backing? If its that simple I'll just pull that fuse if I let is sit for more than 2-3 days. If it is isolated to the radio, I will get another radio.

Question: when taken to the dealer with the 'dead radio', or more like 'playing dead radio' do they install an otherwise identical radio without the same issue causeing the random deadness or a modern version with different features?

If they give the same, since it isnt dead anymore, and I can isolate the draw to the radio after all this time....I'm likely getting an aftermarket radio...since Ive been considering it for other reasons lately anyway...now if the reast of the car beside the drivetrain, settles in the for the long haul...

SoCalC

Veteran Member
no its float charging for about 3-5 seconds every few minutes with the 25 amp radio fuse out.

The mystery is still what caused the large jump in mystery draw while the radio was 'playing dead' but everything else was hooked up but shut down.

Have the charger on a vehicle never known to have a noticable draw just to confirm the behavior of the float functiong, but Ive seen it before when it says full it stays that way for a long time...no float kicked in.

SoCalC

Veteran Member
2nd non-problem vehicle has been full for abot 15 minutes...no float...normal...confirming significant draw present on VW.

Evildad

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
So on my 2011 Jetta TDi wagon, which fuse should be the radio? I pulled all the "large" fuses in the panel, but they all show good.

Jeffro420

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Manual says fuse 42 is for 12V power outlet, and that the radio fuse is under the hood (fuse # F8 and F18). Not sure where everyone is getting fuse 42 for the radio; owner's manual clearly labels that for 12V power outlet.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My car is a 2002... I lost my image hosting abilities so I no longer have the pic.

42 WAS the fuse in my car.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Manual says fuse 42 is for 12V power outlet, and that the radio fuse is under the hood (fuse # F8 and F18). Not sure where everyone is getting fuse 42 for the radio; owner's manual clearly labels that for 12V power outlet.
Since the thread was 2-5 years old it applied to the MKlV versions, and #42 is for the radio on those models although the radio unit also has its own fuse in the back of it.

Srb88042

TDI
06 jetta
An issue I ran into tonight is the car is shutting off the 6 disk and the radio when you pull the key but if you let the car go into sleep mode and sit inside you can press power on the radio and it turns back on! I did the drain test and fuse 42 is the only one that has a measurement on my multimeter... damn car... I presume the amp is staying on in the trunk because the radio isn't going off!! We will see in the am if this worked!

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
fyi mk 4 and mk5 Vw's have a fuse on the back of the radio as well. Seems every time I get one in that the radio doesn't work I have to pull the radio and replace that fuse.