www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old April 20th, 2012, 20:43   #1
tdiclubfan

Default AdBlue consumption

How often do you need to top it up? How much does a bottle of AdBlue cost and how many do you need for each refill when the car is out of warranty? Thanks!
tdiclubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 21:31   #2
Niner
veteran member

10,000 miles.... 2 to 4.5 gallons, depending on how you drive, how much soot you produce with your driving practices, how often it needs to cycle to clean up, city inefficient versus highway very efficient hot passive regens. About $12 for 2.5 gallons at Walmart.
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:20   #3
APT
Veteran Member

My owners manual says Adblue is included in each 10k mile complementary service. The 5gallon tank is designed to last about 15k miles. As Niner said, it will vary based on how the vehicle is driven. I have seen 2.5 gallon bottles of diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) at auto parts stores for $10, and it can be pumped like fuel at some truck stops as well. Budget about 0.15 cents per mile, or negligible.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:40   #4
tdiclubfan

Does AdBlue consumption increase if you drive the car hard or only if you do a lot of stop go city traffic?
tdiclubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:54   #5
r11
Veteran Member

To add the fluid on your own, you'd need to score a 1/2 gallon VW/Audi adblue bottle that you can turn into a funnel. Cannot just pour bulk fluid into the VW ablue tank, it requires a special bottle (neck "unlocks" the tank). Apparently BMW and Mercedes have standardized on the same design too (?).

Most of us don't have much to worry about for a looong while

Wonder what they use at service centers ... must have some kind of spill-proof funnels ... or they just use the 1/2 gallon bottles ...
r11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:00   #6
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by r11 View Post
To add the fluid on your own, you'd need to score a 1/2 gallon VW/Audi adblue bottle that you can turn into a funnel. Cannot just pour bulk fluid into the VW ablue tank, it requires a special bottle (neck "unlocks" the tank). Apparently BMW and Mercedes have standardized on the same design too (?).

Most of us don't have much to worry about for a looong while

Wonder what they use at service centers ... must have some kind of spill-proof funnels ... or they just use the 1/2 gallon bottles ...
As far as I know the special bottle does not "unlock the tank". The bottle is designed so you can invert it and not spill the contents.You first screw the bottle into place in the AdBlue filler neck. Then you push down on the bottle which then releases the AdBlue from the bottle. When you quit pushing down on the bottle it shuts off the flow of the AdBlue from the bottle and prevents spillage. At least thats how I understand it to work.

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
dweisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:21   #7
kydsid
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweisel View Post
As far as I know the special bottle does not "unlock the tank". The bottle is designed so you can invert it and not spill the contents.You first screw the bottle into place in the AdBlue filler neck. Then you push down on the bottle which then releases the AdBlue from the bottle. When you quit pushing down on the bottle it shuts off the flow of the AdBlue from the bottle and prevents spillage. At least thats how I understand it to work.

That was my understanding as well. I know I will ask for the empty bottle at my 30k free maintenance though to make a funnel. I can only imagine the problems if you spill DEF in the trunk.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:41   #8
wolfsburg_de
Ross-Tech AssociateVendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 33.5 mpg, mostly city

FYI, with VCDS, I believe you can find the level (expressed as a percentage) in Engine -> Advanced Measuring Values -> 98-0:Sensor for reducing agent fill level. My Passat with about 3600 miles, mostly around town, shows a fill level of 77.03 %.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:05   #9
Ozzmosis86

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
That was my understanding as well. I know I will ask for the empty bottle at my 30k free maintenance though to make a funnel. I can only imagine the problems if you spill DEF in the trunk.
I asked for an empty jug at my 10k mile service. They gave me a 2.5gal jug, but it didn't have a special neck or anything on it, I ended up just throwing it away. I am not sure how to get one of the correct jugs, maybe my dealership has the tool you can buy and they are using different jugs.

If anyone has gotten the correct jug, please share a picture.
Ozzmosis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:02   #10
dachman1

Fuel Economy: 35/46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzmosis86 View Post
I asked for an empty jug at my 10k mile service. They gave me a 2.5gal jug, but it didn't have a special neck or anything on it, I ended up just throwing it away. I am not sure how to get one of the correct jugs, maybe my dealership has the tool you can buy and they are using different jugs.

Interesting, I was planning on doing the exact same thing. I guess I'll have to be more inquisitive about the filler nozzle and not just try to score an empty bottle.
dachman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:21   #11
APT
Veteran Member

tdiatlast, 0.0013 dollars per mile. Or, 2,000 cents divided by 15,000 miles if you choose.

The 40k mile DSG service costs more, like 1c/mile.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:23   #12
dweisel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 09 MB R320 Bluetec

Quote:

dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
dweisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:24   #13
dachman1

Fuel Economy: 35/46

Quote:
Looks like ECS Tuning has them
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Brake_Fluid/ES465415/

I also found this pretty informative FAQ page on DPF systems and AdBlue stuff including a filling video.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a...di-dpf-faq.htm

Last edited by dachman1; April 23rd, 2012 at 09:46.
dachman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:49   #14
Driver_found
Veteran Member

5 gallons of liquid is a lot of extra weight to haul around. Hopefully they have positioned the weight so that it has a low center of gravity.
Driver_found is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:03   #15
TheGrove
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_found View Post
5 gallons of liquid is a lot of extra weight to haul around. Hopefully they have positioned the weight so that it has a low center of gravity.
It's in the right rear quarter below the trunk floor. You access the tank thru the trunk and a door on the floor in the little "cubby" between the rear tire and the back of the car.