www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 19th, 2012, 18:41   #1
tek4tex

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta
Default Oil Change

I took my 2011 TDI Sport in for an oil change at 3,500 miles. Previously I had purchased a real dip stick to get a more accurate oil level reading. I explained that I wanted to make sure the level was exactly on the full mark so the reading on the dip stick could be referenced. The dealer added 8.8 quarts, I thought capacity was 8.3? Is that liters maybe? The bad part was paying $143.00 for the filter, oil plug gasket, and oil. Is this an average charge?

How does the electronic meter work? The manual directions are worthless. The dealer is claiming that the oil meter level does not register if the oil is at the full mark only displaying the oil level okay message. I could swear the meter used to read a level?
tek4tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 07:27   #2
grohgreg

Fuel Economy: ~36 highway, 31 long term

The dealer is fulla crap. Just put your keyfob in its slot and let the computer boot up. Once the computer is up, press the CAR button. Turn the keyfob to the left and release. That will enable the SERVICE selection on the touchscreen. Touching the SERVICE box will display the oil level display.

Can't be certain without actually consulting the manual, but I think it's 8.3 engine + 0.5 filter = 8.8 total.

Too bad you had to pay though. Wouldn't it have been simpler just to buy the dipstick, then top up the oil level yourself? I've got nearly 13k on mine, and have had it in twice for scheduled inspection/service. That included topping off all fluids (90 day inspection) and a complete oil/filter change (10k service). So far I haven't paid a penny.

//greg//
grohgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 08:46   #3
Niner
duplicate account, banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grohgreg View Post
The dealer is fulla crap. Just put your keyfob in its slot and let the computer boot up. Once the computer is up, press the CAR button. Turn the keyfob to the left and release. That will enable the SERVICE selection on the touchscreen. Touching the SERVICE box will display the oil level display.

Can't be certain without actually consulting the manual, but I think it's 8.3 engine + 0.5 filter = 8.8 total.

Too bad you had to pay though. Wouldn't it have been simpler just to buy the dipstick, then top up the oil level yourself? I've got nearly 13k on mine, and have had it in twice for scheduled inspection/service. That included topping off all fluids (90 day inspection) and a complete oil/filter change (10k service). So far I haven't paid a penny.

//greg//
They want your car in for check ups, and 10, 20, and 30k so they can pull data off your cars memory. Nothing is free these days.
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 08:57   #4
Niner

9 liters of oil at $8.50 each, a filter at what, $20, that's $98 in parts, plus tax on material, plus .5 hr for labor, at $120 an hour. Do the math.

Read the owners manual, go what ever it says to go before oil changes, and service it when the manual says to... the first 30,000 miles with oil, filter and adblue are on VW. Also, make sure at 30k, they change your brake fluid.

This isn't a Honda or a Toyota for service prices or parts, it's a luxury SUV with a luxury tax by Vw to keep it running and maintained.

Last edited by Niner; April 20th, 2012 at 09:01.
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:10   #5
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

Guys- my apologies. For some reason I thought you were discussing the Jetta Sportwagon. I will delete my irrelevant posts.
tditom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:32   #6
grohgreg

Fuel Economy: ~36 highway, 31 long term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
They want your car in for check ups, and 10, 20, and 30k so they can pull data off your cars memory. Nothing is free these days.
Yeah. And what tics me off is that they reset the long term mileage memory. I wanted to maintain an onboard record of what kind of fuel economy I'd experienced since purchasing the vehicle new. That sort of thing comes in handy when you want to trade/sell the damn thing. The boneheads reset the long term to zero at the 10k service. So now I've got a car that's nearly a year old, yet now has a long term trip memory based upon <13k

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; April 20th, 2012 at 11:35.
grohgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:55   #7
Plus 3 Golfer
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grohgreg View Post
Yeah. And what tics me off is that they reset the long term mileage memory. I wanted to maintain an onboard record of what kind of fuel economy I'd experienced since purchasing the vehicle new. That sort of thing comes in handy when you want to trade/sell the damn thing. The boneheads reset the long term to zero at the 10k service. So now I've got a car that's nearly a year old, yet now has a long term trip memory based upon <13k

//greg//
Doesn't the Touareg's MFD long term memory reset after 9999 miles, 99 hours 59 minutes, or 999 gallons of fuel like my 2009 does? If it resets, it should be in your owner's manual.
Plus 3 Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 20:58   #8
Trooper81
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 72 MPG Record for 00' TDI

Your dealer is cheap mine charges 250 for an oil change. Which is why i do every second one myself for less than 100, with better oil.

Trooper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 21:49   #9
Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper81 View Post
Your dealer is cheap mine charges 250 for an oil change. Which is why i do every second one myself for less than 100, with better oil.
What better oil is that? is it available in the USA?
Old April 20th, 2012, 22:45   #10
Trooper81
Veteran Member

Lubro moly Top Tech 507.00 yes should be available in the US.

http://lubromoly.com/liquimoly/web.n..._usa_home.html

Old April 21st, 2012, 08:14   #11
Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper81 View Post
Lubro moly Top Tech 507.00 yes should be available in the US.

http://lubromoly.com/liquimoly/web.n..._usa_home.html
Which version are you running in the summer time?
Old April 30th, 2012, 03:35   #12
showdown 42
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 touareg

Hi TEK, Why did you have an oil change at 3500 mi ?, You get free oil service for 3yrs 36k miles . These engines need to break in with the first oil the car comes with. The dealer should have given you better advice. My dealer wouldn't chang mine if I came in at that mileage . JP
showdown 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 18:00   #13
abtmuda
Veteran Member

It has been proven by independent oil analysis (member on the forum) that oil had substantial breakdown and needed to be replaced on the 3L Diesel engine at around 5k marker.

I replaced my own oil at 4,700 miles since I am planning to drive the car for a long time.

it was a messy process...
abtmuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 21:57   #14
Trooper81
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner View Post
Which version are you running in the summer time?
4200 top tech

Old May 3rd, 2012, 17:12   #15
Fourdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~53 mpg on Golf (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtmuda View Post
It has been proven by independent oil analysis (member on the forum) that oil had substantial breakdown and needed to be replaced on the 3L Diesel engine at around 5k marker.
snip
That is a surprising result! Do you have a link to a post that contains the UOA?
'83 Mitsubishi 4X4 PU(2.3L turbodiesel)
'85 U1700 UNIMOG ["I DO understand - its a UNIMOG thing"]
Fourdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote