www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 8th, 2002, 13:39   #1
spoilsport
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/46/40
Default Re: Glow Plug Circuit Malfunction...

Your gonna continue to get the MIL, until it's cleared. That was my experience when I got the same DTC readout and replaced a bad glow plug. The CEL still came on, until I cleared it with VAG-COM.

You can continue to drive the car, but I'd recommend getting a VAG-COM and getting to the bottom of this.
spoilsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2002, 14:06   #2
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Also keep in mind when checking for voltage at the glow plug harness, that this measurement needs to be done when the ECU is trying to turn on the glow plugs ... in other words, during the glow plug delay period after you switch the key "on".

The purpose of disconnecting the temp sensor is to extend this glow plug delay period to about 20 seconds, to give you a better chance at being able to make the measurements.

Gotta switch on the key and make the voltage measurements real quick.
GoFaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2002, 19:32   #3
gardentender
RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten

Fuel Economy: 53+/46/41

GoFaster,
how do you do the speedee voltage check/ignition key twisteroo all by yourself?
is there a clue in your "nom de net"??
gardentender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2002, 20:32   #4
SAC

GOfaster: I understand the purpose of unplugging the coolant sensor... but WHERE is it? Is it just the one on the resevoir tank?

I had autozone clear the code for me, and so far.. the MIL hasnt been back. Time will tell if the problem is gone or not!

GardenTender: My multimeter has deceint length leads on it, so I can set the meter on my windshield facing into the cabin while have the leads attached to the plug and contact so I can see the reading while in the drivers seat.
SAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2002, 20:49   #5
spoilsport
Veteran Member

The ECT sensor is on the back side of the block, drivers side, just behind and below the vacuum pump. At least, that's where it is on my MK-IV Golf.
Old August 9th, 2002, 00:00   #6
The Kid
Veteran Member

Default Glow Plug Circuit Malfunction...

The yesterday my MIL came on... had the code pulled at Autozone and it was for Glowplug/Heater Circuit "A" malfunction. The car starts and drives fine and the light is steady, not flashing and only comes on after the engine has been running for 30sec

So today after reading through some past posts I checked the resistances of the glowplugs, all 4 were .5ohms and the coolant plugs were .6ohms.

I cleaned the connections and hooked everything back up... still got the MIL. So i tried unplugging the plug connectors again and seeing if they were getting any voltage. I hooked up my multimeter between the connector and the plug but I can see no voltage going to the plug when the key is in the on position. I've seen mentioned somewhere that the coolatnt sensor needs to be disconnected to get a voltage reading, but where is the coolant sensor on a 01 jetta? Unfortuntly my car didnt have owners manual and I havent found a Bently manual yet. To my knowledge there isnt anyone with a VAG-COM around here to help me out.

I understand that the relay is under the dash, but is there anyway to check it to determine if it needs replacement? What else can I check? And is there a prefered way to clean the connectors?

Finally, is there any problem driving the car until I get this glowplug problem figured out?
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 16:02   #7
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

Hey
Did AutoZone clear the fault code and if so how long was it before it came back? I had mine checked today and got the same "380" Glow plug heater "A" circuit malfunction. They cleared the codes and I've driven for around 5 miles just getting back home and no mil light.

I'm curious about whether yours came back right away or not.

thanks
steve a
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 19:44   #8
The Kid
Veteran Member

No problem, After they pulled the code, I did some searching on here and went about testing my glowplugs and cleaned there connectors real good. Then I had the code cleared and so far.. still hasnt returned! Heh, course I dont think my glowplugs are too necessary when its 110*F+ here!

But ya, so far and no MIL return... hope it stays that way for both of us!

Brian
Old August 9th, 2002, 22:11   #9
spoilsport
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Kid:
No problem, After they pulled the code, I did some searching on here and went about testing my glowplugs and cleaned there connectors real good. Then I had the code cleared and so far.. still hasnt returned! Heh, course I dont think my glowplugs are too necessary when its 110*F+ here!

But ya, so far and no MIL return... hope it stays that way for both of us!

Brian
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's plenty hot in Houston as well, but I didn't escape a bad glow plug on the wife's Jetta. Some of the brainier people probably know, but I suspect that even under mild conditions there may be an afterglow period, following the non-existent pre-glow period that would keep the GPs in use. Isn't the afterglow supposed to help a "cool" engine keep emissions in check until it reaches operating temps?

Anyway, I got the same code, did the same research on this excellent forum, and avoided a trip to the dealer ! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old August 10th, 2002, 08:31   #10
milkman

I had a similar occurance a few months back. Dealer replaced the glow-plug wiring harness and connectors and problem was solved. Their readout showed "resistance variation". Hope this helps.
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2002, 07:23   #11
saabguru
Veteran Member

In an attempt to clear the cause of an illuminated MIL light, I removed and replaced the glow plug harness- couldn't disconnect it, it's hard wired to the bug round cannon plug on the end of the engine. Now I have a MIL AND a blinking glow plug light, after 45 seconds or so of operation. I'm thinking I damaged the harness in removing it- I rechecked the cannon plug and it's on tight.
saabguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2002, 08:38   #12
saabguru
Veteran Member

BTW- the car runs perfectly.
Old September 28th, 2002, 10:38   #13
The Kid
Veteran Member

well, the MIL DIDNT stay away. It likes to come on every week or so. I'm getting a Vag-Com soon so I'll do some deeper troubleshooting then... until then I'm living with the MIL cause I got tired of going to AutoZone every week to get it cleared.

Saab: How is the harness replaced if it isnt disconnectable? Snip wires and solder on the new harness?
Old September 28th, 2002, 14:29   #14
saabguru
Veteran Member

Exactly. I'm doing it tomorrow.
Old September 28th, 2002, 18:26   #15
danix
Veteran Member

My light has been intermittent since we got the car. I havent replaced the harness yet but will soon, most likely.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote