www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 14th, 2012, 12:01   #1
JDK_Ent

Fuel Economy: 41-44mpg overall
Default How to adjust ABS Sensor / Tone Ring clearance?

My ABS was kicking in at low speeds upon stopping, and it got worse when my front hub was recently replaced along with the front wheel bearing. VAG-COM showed that the front left sensor was losing signal below 3km/hr. I replaced the sensor (long story, the old one needed to be convinced to come out) and now with the new sensor, signal is lost below about 17km/hr. My Bentley manual shows a 0.3mm clearance is required between the tone ring and the sensor, but my new BWA sensor measures more like 3mm.

That's the background. Does anyone know if the 0.3mm clearance is correct? Is the clearance issue more likely to be caused by the new hub being incorrectly installed, or by a mis-adjusted ABS sensor? Can the ABS sensor even be adjusted for depth? The new one was an unbelievable PITA to install and took some whittling with a knife to get in, and I hate to remove it again if I don't have to.
TIA,
Joe N9OK
Old April 15th, 2012, 04:22   #2
JDK_Ent

Update: I removed the sensor and whittled some more (to slightly decrease the diameter so it would fit correctly). Now it slides in with only a little resistance, and the clearance has decreased to appx. 2mm. It is fully seated. Wheel speed is now sensed down to about 8km/hr. The clearance on the other front wheel is very small and it senses correctly down to 1km/hr.

So the question remains, why is there such a large gap between the sensor and the tone ring? Is it possible that the hub was improperly assembled onto the car? Any suggestions as to what to do about this?
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:21   #3
Alchemist
Veteran Member

When I had to replace one, I found the hole the sensor goes in had rusted and was smaller than it should be. Cleaning the hole left a good fit for the sensor, and there was no problem with low speed braking. Try a small round file to clean the hole and see if the sensor will sit in there better.

Paul
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 13:40   #4
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK_Ent View Post
Update: I removed the sensor and whittled some more (to slightly decrease the diameter so it would fit correctly). Now it slides in with only a little resistance, and the clearance has decreased to appx. 2mm. It is fully seated. Wheel speed is now sensed down to about 8km/hr. The clearance on the other front wheel is very small and it senses correctly down to 1km/hr.

So the question remains, why is there such a large gap between the sensor and the tone ring? Is it possible that the hub was improperly assembled onto the car? Any suggestions as to what to do about this?
It is possible the hub was not seated all the way into the bearing. Though it would seem the torque on the nut would have pushed it all the way in. I just did wheel bearings and we used the ABS sensor as a double check that we were all the way there.
Wavetrac LSD, PP520's with RC4, VNT17/22, Flying Kasper FMIC 3" OMI, Whitbread 2.5" downpipe, PD lift pump, South Bend Stage 2 Endurance Clutch, steel skid plate, Wingnut inspired EGR mod, MyCruiseAgent no drill EGT, MoGolf skidplate mod
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 16:39   #5
JDK_Ent

I used a rat-tail file to better clean out the hole, but the sensor, fully seated, still had excessive clearance to the tone wheel. I then used a file to remove metal from the mating surfaces on both the steering knuckle and the sensor until the clearance was reduced. Now the sensor detects down to 1km/hr, so the problem is solved.
Thanks to the suggestions. I suspect that Curious Chris is correct that the bearing wasn't fully seated, but it's too late to fix it now.