Clear oil leak driver's side engine compartment

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Yes over the weekend I cleaned the engine compartment and did some coolant hose modification to hopefully fix my coolant leak issue. Then yesterday I got up to find a oil stain on my driveway about 20 feet long and a foot wide. I backed up the car a couple of feet and when I tested the fluid with my fingers it was oily and clear.

I checked my Power Steering and it was full. Checked brake reservoir and it was full. So is this from my air conditioning compressor system?

I guess air conditioning system as it is not working well this spring.

Based on your input I will jack up the car this weekend and look.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I can't think of any other clear-colored fluid that would come from your car. See if you bumped one of your a/c lines, specifically the lower driver's side where it mates up to the condenser.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Get a whitch clean rag/paper towel. Just looking at clean oil on your fingure can be hard to tell if it is clear for sure. There is a number of clear-er looking oils on the cars and depends on the type put in there. Brake fluid, tranny oil, power steering oil, AC oil, etc. Even coolant can feel a little oily and be clear looking depending on the type.

Redneck Truck

Gone, but not forgotten
TDI
2008 Touareg V10, 2001 Audi TTQ Roadster TDI 6-speed, 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI 6-speed
Silly question, but what about diesel?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Not diesel as it has no smell. My bet is my air conditioner as it doesn't work now and I don't turn it on. So under the car I go tomorrow.

It is not coolant as I have had that issue t00 and it neither smells like coolant nor feels like coolant nor has any color at all.

I helped Jon my sealing part of his garage floor with tranny fluid. Your welcome Jon.

Thanks for all the input.

johnsonsabroad

TDI
VW Golf Mk VI 2011
Make sure you have a bottle of water handy if you do the taste test - you will certainly need it if it turns out to be battery fluid - smelling may be a better idea. Soak some up using white paper, often what appears clear actually has a tint. Car oils like brake etc are usually tinted and rarely if ever clear.