www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:20   #226
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Depends on my right foot

Upadate! Michelin MXM4's now have around 67,560 mi on them and still have 6/32" left. Taking a road trip to California at the end of this month and am totally confident in their ability to hold up and still remain quiet. Very pleased with these tires. Happy driving yall!
Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:45   #227
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnyardsTDI View Post
Upadate! Michelin MXM4's now have around 67,560 mi on them and still have 6/32" left. Taking a road trip to California at the end of this month and am totally confident in their ability to hold up and still remain quiet. Very pleased with these tires. Happy driving yall!
Way good ! Assuming you started @ 10/32nd in tread, @ 6/32nd in remaining you are getting app 16.9k miles per 1/32nd in. Unless you are unhappy with the tire or want another variable that may or may not be better in another tire, NO reason to switch tire models for your next set. You are on track for 120,000 miles !
ruking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:04   #228
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Depends on my right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruking View Post
Way good ! Assuming you started @ 10/32nd in tread, @ 6/32nd in remaining you are getting app 16.9k miles per 1/32nd in. Unless you are unhappy with the tire or want another variable that may or may not be better in another tire, NO reason to switch tire models for your next set. You are on track for 120,000 miles !
Actually, I put the tires on around 37,000mi. So, I really am getting about 7,700 mi / 32". Still not bad!
Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:25   #229
dadster

Just replaced the OEM Conti's at 29K with 225/50-17 Cooper RS3-A's. Couldn't pass these up at an out the door price of $94.11 each (includes install, road hazard and $100 rebate).

The larger size looks great and rides much more smoothly. Expansion joints are a mild thump and the jiggle at low speed is gone.

Don't do any F&F driving but on/off ramps are more fun!

Recommended for a lower cost, quality solution. I doubt if I'll see high mileage out of these but they have impressed the real critic here (my better half).
dadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 17:20   #230
NovaMoto
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '11 TDI Golf

I just installed a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's. Just wow.
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 19:07   #231
Thommy D
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnyardsTDI View Post

Nice, I was looking at those and waited too long and my OEM tires were toasted after a 2500 mile roadie. Costco didn't have them so I cheaped out on bridgestone ecopias. I don't like birdgestones from past experience, but I was in a jam. I already posted in this thread I am not really happy (harmonics)
Thommy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 20:30   #232
Early8Q
Veteran Member

This spring I put a set of Continental Extreme DWS on my JSW. So far I like them. I wanted pilot sports, but wasn't feeling flush enough. The Conti Extreme DWS seemed a bit noisy at first, but they seem to have settled down. The rounder sidewall seems to soften the ride a bit compared to the stock pro contacts. They seem like a solid tire without being rough. Mileage TBD.

I just bolted on the 16" General Altimax set on steelies and am in winter tractor mode now. I would love Nokian WRs, but picked these up last year at half the price. They work well in the snow, but don't do as well when it warm up.
Old December 13th, 2013, 09:48   #233
30Bones
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 JSW DSG

Looks mine are getting replaced this weekend

9 minute tire change in 4 degree weather. haven't pulled it out yet to see what the foreign object is.

Sent from my iPhone using

30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2013, 19:15   #234
30Bones
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 JSW DSG

Ended up with a set of Nitto Motivos. Time will tell, but reviews and prices was really good and $650 otd with replacement certificates seemed good. They are a 60,000 mile tire and are night and day as far as road noise goes.

30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 08:34   #235
limbwalker
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 Golf

I replaced mine with a set of Barum Bravarus 2's and was very pleased with those. I got nearly 80K out of that set with very little road noise and excellent mileage.
limbwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 13:47   #236
piotrsko

Fuel Economy: 44 so far wonder what the Golf gets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsktdi View Post
I replaced mine with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus tires in 225/50r17 size and I couldn't be happier. Quieter than the oems, they ride extremely well and are a 70,000 mile rated tire.

Put them on the Golf. Nasty snow turned to ice for a week so far. Good handling haven't put chains on yet but had to on the F250. We'll see about 70K. Was originally going for mxm4 or hv but these were better rated for snow.

Last edited by piotrsko; December 17th, 2013 at 13:51.
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 14:01   #237
Daugen
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5 first road trip 35 winter local use, vs: 2012 6.0 Suburban 11.3 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrsko View Post
Put them on the Golf. Nasty snow turned to ice for a week so far. Good handling haven't put chains on yet but had to on the F250. We'll see about 70K. Was originally going for mxm4 or hv but these were better rated for snow.

Glad to hear you like the P7s. Quite a coup for Pirelli to land at number one in the Tire Rack category for our cars. I chose number two, the new
Conti Pure Contact, a LRR tire but still handles very nicely, quite grippy, good in rain, and very quiet. Not tried them in snow yet.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS

I put these on my new to me TDI recently to replace the low end Hancooks the dealer had put on. Hancook actually makes some good tires, just not what they put on. Really pays to study TireRack.
Daugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 14:58   #238
RHunter

TDI(s): 2011 JSW

Just put new shoes on my '11. I debated and re-read this thread at least a dozen times trying to figure out what to get...

I finally ended up with Conti ProContact DSW's from TireRack.

I replaced the OEM's at 36k-ish (ish due to Cluster failure replaced under warranty)

Too soon to tell how they are, I hope they hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 20th, 2013, 13:35   #239
callmekurt

TDI(s): 2011 Golf

I ended up with Primacy MXM4's from Costco. ~$700. I've got about 2k on them. They're a more solid ride (if that makes sense) than my stocks. Car feels more solid on bumps and cracks - whereas before, bumps/potholes made my teeth rattle.

We've had a bit of snow - definitely not great, but ok for an all-weather. In Pgh, we have lots of twisties with cracks and I can feel a bit more "skip" in the turns now.

So all in all, OK. For 7 bills, I would've liked more performance. But not bad.
callmekurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2013, 13:59   #240
TDI smile
Veteran Member

Location: Greater Vancouver Area, BC, (b4 Edmonton, AB) Canada
Fuel Economy: it's a Diesel and it uses a bit over 4 ltr. per 100 km

I had MICHELIN Stock Tires. The last 25 years I drove only on MICHELIN's
TDI smile is online now   Reply With Quote