www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old April 7th, 2012, 08:17   #1
Thorny

Fuel Economy: 42 mixed
Default How do I protect my intercooler?

I was looking at the lower portion of my radiator the other day, which is the intercooler, right? Anyways, I've got 42K miles on my 2011 JSW now and I'd say that approximately 70% of the fins on the front of the intercooler are bent over from being hit by rocks and pebbles off the road here in Colorado.

What, if anything, are you guys doing to protect the fins of the intercooler to protect it and maintain good airflow?

And now that mine is all bent over, is there anything that I can do to re-establish good airflow?

Thorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:35   #2
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Your intercooler is not the bottom portion of your radiator. There are three separate parts stacked together in a kind of sandwich. IIRC, your radiator is in front, your intercooler is behind that, and your AC condenser is behind that. I'm pretty sure that I got them in the right order, but I could be wrong. You can follow the tubes and lines to verify. I know I am right in that they are 3 components sandwiched together and they are all similar in size. I think you are seeing bent fins on your radiator only.

Have Fun!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications

Last edited by JSWTDI09; April 7th, 2012 at 08:57.
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:35   #3
Jack Frost
Veteran Member

My car has a bra on the front to protect it from flying gravel. The bra has a piece of guaze that covers the intercooler intake.

I also slow down a lot when I see someone coming the other way on a gravel road. That reduces the impact of any flying stones a lot. Theoetically by about 1/4 of what it could be. So far, no physical damage at all after about 17,000 km of gravel roads.

As for repairing the damage. I know that a comb-like device is used to straighten out cooling fins of air exchangers, but looking at the intercooler just now, it seems that might be tricky and you would have to probably remove it to do something as finicky as that.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 (gone but not forgotton)
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:55   #4
Rutch
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 JSW TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWTDI09 View Post
Your intercooler is not the bottom portion of your radiator. There are three separate parts stacked together in a kind of sandwich. IIRC, your radiator is in front, your intercooler is behind that, and your AC condenser is behind that. I'm pretty sure that I got them in the right order, but I could be wrong. You can follow the tubes and line to verify. I know I am right in that they are 3 components sandwiched together and they are all similar in size. I think you are seeing bent fins on your radiator only.
They're definitely sandwiched together, but I think the AC condenser is up front and the radiator is in the rear. Hoses coming off the one closest to the engine are too big to be AC lines and too small to be charge pipes. Either way the intercooler is in the middle.

Unless a rock goes all the way though the AC condenser or backwards through the radiator, the intercooler is pretty well protected from the factory.
Rutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:00   #5
Thorny

Thanks for the clarification.

My concern is still airflow. If the fins are all bent over on the front section, how much airflow am I loosing to it and the cooling devices behind it?

Old April 7th, 2012, 09:15   #6
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
Thanks for the clarification.

My concern is still airflow. If the fins are all bent over on the front section, how much airflow am I loosing to it and the cooling devices behind it?
How much air flow is effected depends on how many openings have been closed off. It would be possible to put a piece of screen in behind your grill, but this might have to regularly cleaned and/or replaced. Then the question becomes: how much airflow is reduced by the screen? I do not have an answer for this question.

Have Fun!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:16   #7
Jack Frost
Veteran Member

I wouldnt worry too much about air flow. The diesel motors seem impossible to overheat. During the winter, I am always blocking the air flow to keep the engine at its operating temperature.

The biggest impact to your airflow is that during the summer, the air conditioner would be compromised, and to a lesser extent, the intercooler would not be as effective. During the winter, there are no issues as far as I can determine.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 (gone but not forgotton)
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 09:56   #8
Cogen Man
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than the Toyota FJCruiser

To give any general answer we would need to see a pic of the offending component. The fins are a means to increase the surface area for maximum cooling. A picture would help but might not be possible. I'd say if anymore than 1/4 of the fins are bent then you may need to do something about it.
Old April 8th, 2012, 13:13   #9
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

Perhaps one solution would be to stop tailgating? If your intercooler fins are bent badly due to rocks, I'm guessing your bumper and hood must be badly dinged too....
Old April 8th, 2012, 17:57   #10
Thorny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
Perhaps one solution would be to stop tailgating? If your intercooler fins are bent badly due to rocks, I'm guessing your bumper and hood must be badly dinged too....
Here in Colorado on the interstate where I spend 95% of my 40K miles you either ride close the car in front or you get cut off constantly. When I can I leave lots of room. The front bumper is getting pelted too, but I put a clear bra on the hood so it's in good shape.

Here's an image of the radiator, you can see the damage as well as the upper portion where it's protected from road debris.

Old April 9th, 2012, 05:20   #11
740GLE
Veteran Member

I don't think a little window screen hardware cloth behind the grill will really dampen the air flow through the sandwhiched components, and it'll only help deflect some of that stuff, won't solve all your issues though.

Could you pull the bumper, use a garden hose clean some of that crap out then use a fin straithener on some of them?

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote