Goodbye ECOdiesel - totaled while parked @ 429,466 miles

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Well, it's lights out for our 1991 Jetta GL ECOdiesel. It was parked out in front of the house in a quiet neighborhood when the 17 year old girl across the street slammed into the back of it while "swatting at a bee on the windshield."

It's been a great car. 429,466 miles on the original engine and body.

Caught it all on our CCTV security cameras... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqHxTOtHMtQ.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I loved that little car. I'll miss driving it... so close to a half million miles. :(

robzuk

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf, 2001 Golf, 1987 Cabrio
Another green one gone forever. :(

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
NO! Sorry for your loss. One of my favorite looking body styles.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
For reference of where the car was parked originally -- it was about where the police cruiser is in the last picture. :eek: That girl was definitely going over 25 mph when she hit the car... that's a pretty good run considering she had only made it 150 yards up the street.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
if you were parked that far away she was doing a f%^k load more than 25! or she kept it floored after the impact.
sorry to see her go to auto-heaven!

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Stupidity is not an accident, I would have made her cry :mad: Horrible that car is gone.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Ouch the Ho5G will miss the ECO. What a shame.

It is getting hostile on the roads and side streets too.

at least you both are 100%.

P&J

Cas

Veteran Member
TDI
2009jetta
Had one like that, same color. Sold it to a guy and he took to Mexico to use it as a taxi.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Dang, bad part is there insurance will never pay the true value. Stick to your guns and make them find a replacement diesel VW.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Man,that sucks:mad:..... at least no one was hurt. Who was the driver-the one in the photo texting or the lady behind the wheel? Bee my ass-she was texting-check phone records. I saw two people try to beat a red light today-one was going straight and the other was turning left:eek:......

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
That is a real shame. Sorry for your loss. She's lucky the F-350 wasn't parked there.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
In the video you can watch her drive straight into the car... she must have completely let go of the wheel as she went up the street.

Now the fight begins... :(

-J

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Agreed on the texting. Prolly doesn't matter as this is clearly her fault and there's nothing to prove unless she claims the unoccupied, parked car made an illegal entry into the thoroughfare. My condolences and sorry for your loss.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That is a real shame. Sorry for your loss. She's lucky the F-350 wasn't parked there.
No kidding! Maybe I should get an old bulldozer to park there...

Texting isn't illegal in VA, so it doesn't change anything if she was or wasn't. Doesn't much matter anyway; car is done and she got a "failure to maintain control of a vehicle" ticket.

What I did notice - after the fact - was that she rolled through both stop signs in the neighborhood. One neighbor said she could here the girl and guy laughing and having a good time as they went down the street. The other neighbors - two doors down, whom had just returned home from work - commented that the kids were really "high-tailing it" (or some such) up the hill past their house.

It's just a real kicker that such a great little car got wiped out the way it did.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Good Lord!! My condolences on your loss. A car like that, with that many miles, should go out in a blaze of glory. Going off a cliff at 85mph (while getting 50mpg) would be fitting. Not sitting there minding it's own business and getting taken out by a teenager paying more attention to her cellphone than her 2 ton vehicle.

scanchattanooga

TDI
2004 Jetta
Look at it this way - you're fine, and she'll probably be dead within a few years if her driving habits continue. (There's my morbid ex-police dispatcher sentiments coming out again)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sad. We'll miss that great high compression idle at Ho5G. I'm sure this is how IBW will eventually end. At least no one was hurt, although you may have wanted to hurt someone. When I had the fender-bender in IBW two years ago I couldn't speak to the woman who drove into me, I was so angry. People don't realize you can't just go buy another one of these cars.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Oh no Jason, I may have jinxed you with my last PM =(

Not that you will, but can you go after her for anything on top of what insurance is offering? That is disgusting that all she gets is a ticket. They could have at least said it was caused by excessive speeds and slapper her with another one...

Forza91

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI, 2004 Golf GLS TDI
A car like that, with that many miles, should go out in a blaze of glory. Going off a cliff at 85mph (while getting 50mpg)
Heh!:D
yeah I'm also on the swatting-a-wasp-my-ass camp, did this same wasp happen to sting her in such a way that it cause her to lose control of her right leg resulting in a case of the lead foot? This just doesn't look like damage done by a car going 25mph.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
UGHHH this **** pisses me off so bad!!! frickin IDIOT drivers these days and their @#$%!##%(* cell phones. sucks it had to happen to such a nice little car...

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
No kidding! Maybe I should get an old bulldozer to park there...

Texting isn't illegal in VA, so it doesn't change anything if she was or wasn't. Doesn't much matter anyway; car is done and she got a "failure to maintain control of a vehicle" ticket.

What I did notice - after the fact - was that she rolled through both stop signs in the neighborhood. One neighbor said she could here the girl and guy laughing and having a good time as they went down the street. The other neighbors - two doors down, whom had just returned home from work - commented that the kids were really "high-tailing it" (or some such) up the hill past their house.

It's just a real kicker that such a great little car got wiped out the way it did.
I'm surprised VA hasn't adopted some kind of law regarding texting. If I'm not mistaken, our cell phone use laws have been expanded to 'distracted driving' which includes anything from futzing with the GPS/radio, eating, texting, scratching and anything else the officer chooses to interpret as "distractive". Checking THIS site, it would appear VA does have laws regarding this.