www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old April 8th, 2012, 22:37   #46
Mark@MaloneTuning

Quote:
240-250HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard60 View Post
WHP? Wow. Without a turbo upgrade?!
In a 2011 VW Jetta CR TDI I have seen boost creep at a little over 170whp with a turbo-back 3" straight-thru exhaust.

The N75 was at 0% at ~3700+ RPM. It's virtually impossible to eliminate boost creep unless a larger turbo goes in, or power is reduced a bit.

With 240-250hp boost creep may be inevitable. i.e. it may not be safe or practical with the stock turbo.

Fortunately it's not too difficult to install a larger turbo At the time of this writing, custom fabrication is required to install a decent sized turbo upgrade.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Mark@MaloneTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:32   #47
storx
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhutchins View Post
what fun can you put together for my 2010 TDiCup 6spd? I havent put in the Amarok/T5 injectors yet (I have them). Is the 3L Toureg fuel pump a direct bolt in?
I'm prety sure you have the same 1900mbar stock hpfp like I have the 2010+ CR went to lower mbar units for production cost and will require an hpfp upgrade I would imagine on my stock h pfp and injectors there is a ton of more fuel left for power. I have an very aggressive tune they puffs black smoke on startup as well while wot.... my egt limit was raised and on the dyno with an 43f temp day I pegged 950c temps from 3k rpms all the way to redline
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:34   #48
storx
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@MaloneTuning View Post
In a 2011 VW Jetta CR TDI I have seen boost creep at a little over 170whp with a turbo-back 3" straight-thru exhaust.

The N75 was at 0% at ~3700+ RPM. It's virtually impossible to eliminate boost creep unless a larger turbo goes in, or power is reduced a bit.

With 240-250hp boost creep may be inevitable. i.e. it may not be safe or practical with the stock turbo.

Fortunately it's not too difficult to install a larger turbo At the time of this writing, custom fabrication is required to install a decent sized turbo upgrade.
Malone I need to get with you on maybe modifying my tune on all 3 pulls I spiked 31psi @ 2300 rpms then it tapers back down to 26pis and holds that solid.
Old April 9th, 2012, 09:16   #49
dieselpower04
Veteran Member

What were the SAE 5 corrected numbers? Uncorrected numbers dont mean anything

dieselpower04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:08   #50
Mark@MaloneTuning

Storx e-mail me (see signature below). We'll decide between tuning for less power (keep the stock turbo), or start with a bigger turbo

Old April 9th, 2012, 12:01   #51
storx
Veteran Member

I am waiting for the bigger turbo setup as soon as Kyle finishes it. The only problem I am having is its spikes 31 psi then it bounces tell the boost gets under control. Also I noticed I dropped a significant amount of tq when I unhooked exhaust from stock pipe and dyno off just the downpipe. Do u know if my tune is setup more for factory exhaust or full flow?
Old April 9th, 2012, 12:05   #52
Mark@MaloneTuning

Your tune is set up for full exhaust flow. If you send Kyle or I an e-mail we can arrange a tune update to lower your spike.

Old April 9th, 2012, 12:25   #53
storx
Veteran Member

Ok, I will after I get back from my road trip. Leave this Sunday for 30 days to drive the entire country to see family I not seen in a long time since been in the military. I will be putting about 3700 miles on the car... Hopely by then Kyle will have the big turbo kit ready for me.
Old April 9th, 2012, 12:32   #54
mlemorie
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2004 Jetta
Fuel Economy: Avg: 43-44

Id be watching those EGTs man, thats nasty high! Good on the run though, looking forward to more updates on this. Have fun!
Old April 9th, 2012, 12:37   #55
storx
Veteran Member

I'm not to worried about it... It doesn't get that high driving it normal... And my tune is setup to stop boosting past 950c but the turbo is rated for much higher egt so a few seconds shouldn't hurt it..also I'm going bigger soon so the trial and error should be fun
Old April 9th, 2012, 13:04   #56
kooyajerms
grocery getter

If it gets to 1700*F+ by 3000 rpms, you may be well beyond that by the time you're at redline. You need a gauge with a higher limit.

You know when you see your fam you won't "drive it like normal" when they ask to take a ride. I'd be careful with those EGTs.
kooyajerms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 13:07   #57
Mark@MaloneTuning

The EDC17 ECU automatically limits fuel/power if the EGT limit is reached.

storx wanted a 950C EGT limiter and that's what I set for him.

Old April 9th, 2012, 14:02   #59
storx
Veteran Member

Egt was taken from vag-com log and when I drive in the mountains or pull my atv I not seen danger egt the only time I did was on the dyno and even that was only on the last few runs. The first 2 runs barely got above 850c.... The worst run was the 7th run and it pulled just as hard as the last 6 runs. Also something to consider is the IC actually didn't show much heat soak. The first 3 pulls were downpipe with stock exhaust flapper back and last 4 were with just downpipe and all 4 were within 5% of each other
Old April 9th, 2012, 14:15   #60
DPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38.5- 47 Forester, Citroen 55- 63

you're pulling a trailer for the trip aren't you?
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote