www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010+) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010+) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old March 24th, 2012, 17:49   #1
KraftwerkB6
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW
Default Today was a good day!

Well everyone myself and my friend at work made history today. Installed the Audi S3 intercooler, first on a Jetta TDI wagon in the USA! From what I can find at least...If I'm wrong. Well it's the first this side of the Mississippi. Then made history again by installing the Golf R euro head lights on the wagon as well. From what I can gather from ECS, they have sold 4 sets. 1 over seas, 2 to GTI's which are on MKVI forum site, and 1 pair to myself. So I'm going out on a limb to say I'm first as well on the TDI wagon. If not then first in Kentucky Haha.

Pics here. Any Q's just ask. I didn't take a lot of DIY pics because myself and my friend really just wanted to get it done before a show tomorrow at which I hope to get better pics.

Old cooler. With old hose clamps

Old March 25th, 2012, 05:12   #2
vw_leadfoot
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~6.4L/100km

I assume you upgraded the CECM as well or had you already done that? Lights look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 Golf TDI SportWagen|2.0L DSG|Highline Trim Level|Deep Black Pearl|Black Leather|Pano-roof|Fog lights|Eibach Pro-Kit|H&R 24mm RSB|OEM Cargo Partition|BlackVue DR500GW-HD|SS Bumper Protector|SS Tips|SS Pedals|Aspherical Mirrors|Pinnacle Ceramic Tint 35F/15R|Chrome Rear Accent Strip|WeatherTech Digital Fit mats|Armadillo Skid Plate|Westfalia Euro Hitch with Custom Harness|17" Porto's - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus|16" Bioline's - Michelin X-Ice Xi2
vw_leadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 10:12   #3
KraftwerkB6
Veteran Member

Ya upgraded the CECM too.
I will write up more later today Hopfully.
Old March 25th, 2012, 10:49   #4
53 willys
Veteran Member

Nice!!!

53 willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:03   #5
pknopp
Veteran Member

So I have to ask. WHat sort of gains are you expecting from the Audi I.C.?
pknopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 11:19   #6
Softrockrenegade
Veteran Member

^ this. I would think the only IC any would want would be the cold weather revision !
Old March 26th, 2012, 07:31   #7
KraftwerkB6
Veteran Member

Well I did some IAT logs with the stock cooler on a cool day though, and honnestly as soon as I hit the throttle, the temp dropped very quickly.
But I have not done any logs with the new cooler, I am going to try to get some back to back with a stock JSW here on the lot, and my car on the same day, with in the same time frame, it can be done, but its still pretty cool around here outside, high of like 70 i think. haha. So better yet try it now, and then again in like July/Aug when it gets much hotter and humid.
It did feel little seat of your pants better. And the group of people behind me going to WBTB car show yesterday said there is a little less smoke coming from the rear end and i let my buddy drive when we got home and seemed to be less smoke, but its also cooler out and seems that helps too.
I have not seen this intercooler freeze up/cold issue nor has the shop i work at seen any. So thats not a big issue in my book.

The main reason i wanted to do it was to see if it would even fit/work. hearing peoples ideas on it and saying it would not work from a lot of people made me want to do it. I also got a very very good deal on it, so i wanted to do it even more.
And be first to try it out, because it cant hurt. I hope.

Last edited by KraftwerkB6; March 26th, 2012 at 07:35.
KraftwerkB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:48   #8
740GLE
Veteran Member

Seeing that you have a list a mile long of other mods, I'm sure you'll see some benifit from it. Be interesting to see the logs!

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 09:49   #9
pknopp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftwerkB6 View Post
Well I did some IAT logs with the stock cooler on a cool day though, and honnestly as soon as I hit the throttle, the temp dropped very quickly.
But I have not done any logs with the new cooler, I am going to try to get some back to back with a stock JSW here on the lot, and my car on the same day, with in the same time frame, it can be done, but its still pretty cool around here outside, high of like 70 i think. haha. So better yet try it now, and then again in like July/Aug when it gets much hotter and humid.
It did feel little seat of your pants better. And the group of people behind me going to WBTB car show yesterday said there is a little less smoke coming from the rear end and i let my buddy drive when we got home and seemed to be less smoke, but its also cooler out and seems that helps too.
I have not seen this intercooler freeze up/cold issue nor has the shop i work at seen any. So thats not a big issue in my book.

The main reason i wanted to do it was to see if it would even fit/work. hearing peoples ideas on it and saying it would not work from a lot of people made me want to do it. I also got a very very good deal on it, so i wanted to do it even more.
And be first to try it out, because it cant hurt. I hope.
LOL, well, I understand that. I'm going to assume that there is no drain in it either?
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:07   #10
KraftwerkB6
Veteran Member

yea mod list is long, kinda need to make that shorter, but kinda like seeing what i got too.

Yea no drain. like I said, have not seen one and have not have any issues so i dont mind.
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:30   #11
ECS Tuning
Vendor

TDI(s): Volkswagen

Nice!

http://www.ecstuning.com
:: Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Hours: Mon. - Fri. 8:00AM - 11:00 EST Sat. 10:00AM - 7:00PM EST
:: Email: sales@ecstuning.com :: customerservice@ecstuning.com :: Facebook :: YouTube :: Live Chat ::
ECS Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:44   #12
740GLE
Veteran Member

With no ERG system pumping back exhaust back into the hot side of the IC, you won't need a drain.

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:48   #13
KraftwerkB6
Veteran Member

yea, i dont.
plus idk about that whole thread, but are there any cases of it happening in warmer areas?
Old March 26th, 2012, 14:16   #14
pknopp
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
With no ERG system pumping back exhaust back into the hot side of the IC, you won't need a drain.
Yeah, I missed that. (working midnights and missing things happen). It would have been nice to know though if it did have a drain.
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:22   #15
KraftwerkB6
Veteran Member

got some proper pics from my friend Ryan. Thought he did an awesome job!

Last edited by KraftwerkB6; March 28th, 2012 at 08:03.
KraftwerkB6 is offline   Reply With Quote