www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old March 24th, 2012, 17:35   #1
A5 Jetta Tdi

Fuel Economy: City Mpg: 37
Default Check engine light

06 Jetta Tdi with 100221 miles. Check engine light is on with a massage on the mfd: emissions workshop. Any body know the meaning of this message? thanks.
A5 Jetta Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 17:44   #2
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Fuel Economy: 42 Jetta, 47 Beetle

It means you need to get the car scanned to find out why the light is on.
whitedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 18:14   #3
40X40
Experienced

Fuel Economy: TBD, new data forthcoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedog View Post
It means you need to get the car scanned to find out why the light is on.

Seriously. That is all we can tell from that light and your post. Let us know what codes come up and we will proceed from there!

Bill
If you omit pertinent info from your question, you cannot reasonably expect a good answer.//Not affiliated with any vendors except as a customer.// Wise people lurk more.// I'm not a guru.// 'I got actual real friends in the real world'-T'sTDI/ If you were the only entry, there wasn't a race.// Grammar and spelling really are important, but I don't claim to be good at it.// Typical drivers can't.
40X40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 06:42   #4
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.
Old March 28th, 2012, 18:54   #5
OldMan52
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta 2009

Let me know if you find something. My check engine light went on on my 2009 Jetta TDI (70000 miles) in January. Stayed on for a week or 2, then turned off on it's own. But it came back on in Feb. Beginning March, I went to a service station to have the car scanned. The mechanics didn't give me the code but said it was a problem with some exhaust valve not fonctionning properly. He cleared the fault, but he told me it would come back once the valve jams. And yes the CEL went back on after driving 2 weeks. The mechanics said the exhaust valve sold for $600 and was BO because a quite a few TDI had this problem. As far as performance, the car runs fine, starts easily, has plenty of power, but I don't know if I can harm the engine if I don't get it repaired promptly. If someone has an opinion...
OldMan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 20:08   #6
bob13

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

A5 Jetta TDI

I've had the check engine light / emissions workshop issue numerous times in the past year. Every occurence turned out to be a bad glow plug.

2006 Jetta Platinum Gray, DSG, Premium Luxury Leather Package, Factory Mud Flaps, 35% rear and back window tint
bob13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 18:41   #7
OldMan52
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob13 View Post
A5 Jetta TDI

I've had the check engine light / emissions workshop issue numerous times in the past year. Every occurence turned out to be a bad glow plug.
Hoping you are right, but I doubt. Car started super easy even in extreme cold weather. I've got to do some research before I order this expensive valve. Maybe some maintenance can restore it. Thanks Bob
OldMan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 18:50   #8
whitedog
TDI Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan52 View Post
Hoping you are right, but I doubt. Car started super easy even in extreme cold weather. I've got to do some research before I order this expensive valve. Maybe some maintenance can restore it. Thanks Bob
Bob was replying to the original poster, actually. Very different engine, very different problems.

We still haven't heard what the codes are from the original poster.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 18:27   #9
A5 Jetta Tdi

Fuel Economy: City Mpg: 37

Sorry did not reply right away. busy with work. I bring the car to the dealer, they scan and found #2 glow plug bad. Replace glow plug. Thank you everybody for the advised.
A5 Jetta Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 19:05   #10
whitedog
TDI Scholar

You know that there are much better and cheaper options than the dealer for working on your car. Keep an eye on your regional section, looking for a Get-together (GTG) and stop in and get to know the local yokels.