need to replace serpentine belt on my 2009 jetta TDI

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
09 B-graphite sedan 6-sp (Bridgewater- NJ)
need to replace serpentine belt on my 2009 jetta TDI

I have B-manual but just wonder if it has been done here, I have 85K miles on my car and figure it should be done at 60K

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I thought it was good till the TB job. Whats the reasoning that you need to replace it? worn out? If so that might be a sign you'll have bigger issues down the line. I'd start looking at issues with AC compressor or the alt (pully clutch) or maybe the tensioner.

redtdi966

Veteran Member
TDI
09 B-graphite sedan 6-sp (Bridgewater- NJ)
I'll check my Bentley for mileage repl, the TB is over 100K.

I do a lot of driving, don't you always wonder when you see a car broke down on the side of the road.... now did they break a Serp belt?

So I guess you have not changed a Serp belt of a A5 TDI, it looked tight, maybe a trick

HLS

TDI
2009 sportwagen
Changed mine today with the timing belt at 120,000. Old timing belt & serpentine belt still looked fine btw.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I do a lot of driving, don't you always wonder when you see a car broke down on the side of the road.... now did they break a Serp belt?
Is logical that those who don't follow scheduled maintance sit on the side of the road at some point (drive 'til broke). The more you drive per year, the less likely the serp will prematurely fail vs. someone reaching 120k after 5 years. Follow the owners manual, unless you're losing sleep over it.

dsieme01

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jetta Sedan
I did a belt on mine when I noticed the tensioner was making a bit of noise. I replaced the tensioner as well. I used a Snap on Open end wrench, 16mm. if i remember right. They have the best grip on the open end wrench. You can't use a socket or most other things.

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
I took at look at my 2009 owner's manual. The only mention of a TB in the maintenence schedule is a "check and replace (if applicable)" item at 180,000 km (which is about 112,000 miles).

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
I took at look at my 2009 owner's manual. The only mention of a TB in the maintenence schedule is a "check and replace (if applicable)" item at 180,000 km (which is about 112,000 miles).
I thought the TB replacement interval was 100k miles (US). My '98 TDI had to be done every 60k, but I know the interval is higher for the CBEA engine.