www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:44   #1
Rudolph Rajendra

TDI(s): New Beetle
Default VW TDI Manual Gear Shift Problem

Is there an irreversible problem that occurs with Volkswagen manual transmissions as they age? Or the hydraulic system?

The manual transmission has started to miss shift in the last few years after I had it in for a brake bleed at the Pickering VW Dealer. So far the ABS unit has been replaced twice, the brake master cylinder has failed dangerously, and no dealer has been able to solve the transmission problem. Is there a simple fix? Does this happen to all VW manual transmissions after a few years?
Rudolph Rajendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:46   #2
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

What year is your beetle? The earlier ones had a different shifter than the later ones. The plastic guide had worn out on mine and replacing it made a major improvement. Here is the part for an early unit:http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=2457
You can see the linkage from the engine compartment - look for slop when someone is wiggling the shifter from inside the car. Also - having the right (and good) trans fluid helps

They may have also not bled the brakes correctly (the clutch cylinder shares the brake fluid).
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:17   #3
Rudolph Rajendra

TDI(s): New Beetle

It's a 2001 New Beatle. It's been pressure bled repeatedly by the dealer, and grinds occasionally going into second. After they bleed it, the problem disappears for a while, only to return a few months later.

Would the wearing of that part cause that problem, and be difficult for the dealer to diagnose?
Rudolph Rajendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:03   #4
gforce1108
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Jetta: 44.5 summer / 47 on snows

The 01 should have the newer design that is much better. Does the clutch release right at the floor? Interesting that it will go away after bleeding but return. That would make me think that one of the cylinders is leaking.
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:18   #5
turbotorq

Hey nice 04 jetta. I have the same one. I installed performance chip which gave me 40% more power . I also straight piped. I've been thinking about the VNT 17, how is fuel economy/ power/ sound?
turbotorq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:20   #6
turbotorq

What's the benefit of the PD150 intake? Noticeable difference? Also what's EGR delete?
turbotorq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2013, 11:36   #7
BobnOH
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph Rajendra View Post
Is there an irreversible problem that occurs with Volkswagen manual transmissions as they age? Or the hydraulic system?
The manual transmission has started to miss shift in the last few years after I had it in for a brake bleed at the Pickering VW Dealer. So far the ABS unit has been replaced twice, the brake master cylinder has failed dangerously, and no dealer has been able to solve the transmission problem. Is there a simple fix? Does this happen to all VW manual transmissions after a few years?
I have read the bearings in the shift tower can go bad. I have broken the shift lever and the shift actuator on mine. But please rule out any clutch/hydraulic issues
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote