www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2013 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old March 20th, 2012, 20:30   #1
bel57air

Default TDI SEL with 18" wheel and low profile tires (45s) concerns.

Hi,
I will be picking up a new TDI SEL in a few days, as the individual that pre-ordered the car backed out, and I was in right place at right time (as I was 4 months from getting my delivery). My concerns: ride quality on the 18"wheel and low profile tire? The dealer says they can swap out wheel and install 17", but it looks as if I have pleanty of fender clearance to run a taller 18" tire (60-70?) after initial set? Anyone else runing taller tire on the 18"?? Thoughts?
Thanks
bel57air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 20:33   #2
Diesel Ed

It rides great on the 18's and OEM tires. They're pretty comfort/ride oriented, something more sport/summer oriented would be stiffer, these are plenty soft. The roads I've driven it on are plenty rough.

I would not go taller than 235/50, and even that's gonna throw your speedometer and the rest off. 235/60 or 70 would be MASSIVE, and likely would not fit.

'12 Passat TDI SE. DSG, Nav, Sunroof. Silver/Black Leatherette
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan. Blue Granite/Gray Leatherette
Diesel Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 03:54   #3
1gunther1

I have the 18's with the Bridgestones on them and they ride very nice.
1gunther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 04:38   #4
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

No real complaints about the Hankook ride quality, but I'm looking forward to replacing them with quieter tires.
Old March 21st, 2012, 05:18   #5
APT
Veteran Member

I cannot recall anyone thinking the Passat (any trim level) is too stiff. Tire noise is another story. The tire tread and compound make a larger difference in how it handles than the size. It comes with highway/touring tires, not high performance stiff sidewall tires. Changing the tire size can negatively affect many parts of modern vehicles. I do not recommend it without significant research.
APT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 07:02   #6
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
No real complaints about the Hankook ride quality, but I'm looking forward to replacing them with quieter tires.
x2 - will be getting the yokohama envigors this summer.

Personally do not like Continentals or the Hankooks.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:58   #7
Diesel Ed

I have the ENVigors on my Bonneville, and just be warned they are a 3 season tire that will survive in light snow. They are a great choice if you have snow tires, but want something that will be fine in cooler weather and if you can't get around to swapping and some snow rolls in.

Old March 21st, 2012, 09:57   #8
eatpasta
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bel57air View Post
Hi,
I will be picking up a new TDI SEL in a few days, as the individual that pre-ordered the car backed out, and I was in right place at right time (as I was 4 months from getting my delivery). My concerns: ride quality on the 18"wheel and low profile tire? The dealer says they can swap out wheel and install 17", but it looks as if I have pleanty of fender clearance to run a taller 18" tire (60-70?) after initial set? Anyone else runing taller tire on the 18"?? Thoughts?
Thanks
No - it rides like rubbish. Drive to California and ill trade you the wheels off of my SE.

and ill take you out for dinner.
Old March 21st, 2012, 16:44   #9
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Ed View Post
I have the ENVigors on my Bonneville, and just be warned they are a 3 season tire that will survive in light snow. They are a great choice if you have snow tires, but want something that will be fine in cooler weather and if you can't get around to swapping and some snow rolls in.
LOL! I read it to mean that yours lasted only 3 seasons before needing replacement.

Yes, I have the blizzaks ws70 for the winter since you need them around here.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:58   #10
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Another thing about the Hankook Optimos...70-85f ambient (FL spring) they flatspot after sitting overnight...arrgghhh...
Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:54   #11
meowguy
Veteran Member

I agree with staying with the 18s on this car. VW design these cars this way for a reason. I don't know what it is, but neither does the salesman. All I can say is my Passat gets better mileage than my previous Jetta TDI and it's bigger and heavier...you do the math.

I took off my Hankooks and installed Toyo Versados. I run them at 35 psi instead of 33. They are quiet on descent roads. I will put the Hankooks back on in 50,000 miles when I trade in the car.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:32   #12
Oberkanone
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowguy View Post
I agree with staying with the 18s on this car. VW design these cars this way for a reason. I don't know what it is, but neither does the salesman. All I can say is my Passat gets better mileage than my previous Jetta TDI and it's bigger and heavier...you do the math.

I took off my Hankooks and installed Toyo Versados. I run them at 35 psi instead of 33. They are quiet on descent roads. I will put the Hankooks back on in 50,000 miles when I trade in the car.
VW sells the Passat with OEM sixteen and seventeen inch wheels and tires in addition to the eighteen, it is not designed exclusively for eighteen inch wheels.

IMHO the consumer fad of large wheels is the reason VW places eighteen inch wheels on the SEL. Big wheels are considered premium. And they are, premium cost to replace wheels and premium cost for replacement tires.

Passat TDI ride quality if fine with the 18" wheels. And the seventeen and the sixteen.

I prefer the lower cost, lighter weight, less rolling mass, more resistant to damage, smaller wheels. I'm not in love with bigger is better wheels.
Oberkanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:55   #13
VW_JW

There is now an option in the VW web configurator to select either 17" or 18" wheels for the TDI SEL.
VW_JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:20   #14
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

Quote:
Big wheels are considered premium. And they are, premium cost to replace wheels and premium cost for replacement tires.
Amen, Brotha.
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:27   #15
Diesel Ed

Our SE w/ Nav and Sunroof came with the 18's. Looks-wise, they're my favorite wheel, but yeah, 18" tires aren't cheap.