www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc)

Alternative Diesel Fuels (Biodiesel, WVO, SVO, BTL, GTL etc) Discussions about alternative fuels for use in our TDI's. This includes biodiesel WVO (Waste Vegetable Oil), SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil), BTL (Biomass to Liquid), GTL (Gas to Liquids) etc. Please note the Fuel Disclaimer.

Old March 20th, 2012, 13:36   #1
aztecboi

Post B20 in a 2010 VW Jetta TDI

After now owning my 2010 Jetta TDI for 15 months and only using Propels B5 Biodiesel since I bought it, I have finally decided that I want to upgrade to using their B20 Biodiesel blend. Anyone else out there have a 2009+ VW Jetta TDI running B20 or higher? If so, how is your car running? Have you had any fuel related problems with the car since using B20? Just want to get a few opinions before I fill up for the first time with B20. Thanks!
aztecboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 22:41   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

A search in alt fuels forum would get you some hits. As you know 5% is the VW limit. Some have used up to 20%, but I'll leave the search up to you as I haven't followed it for awhile.
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:38   #3
Elfnmagik
Veteran Member

Why do you want to run B20?
Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:53   #4
aztecboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfnmagik View Post
Why do you want to run B20?
Everyone has their own opinions about biodiesel and the different blends of it. In my opinion, B20 will help extend engine life and increase performance. Its much more lubricating than regular ultra low sulfur diesel which will allow the engine to run smoother. Also, B20 has a higher cetane rating than regular diesel for more engine efficiency and easier starting. I'm also looking to do my part for the environment by reducing harmful emissions like CO2 into the environment.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:51   #5
Elfnmagik
Veteran Member

I'm aware of its lubricating as well as its solvency properties. Higher amounts of bio can, during post combustion injections, end up diluting engine oil and thereby causing deterioration and may have a longterm effect on the DPF as well. It's why most here go for a B2 blend which is plenty of lubrication, then supplement with an additive for extra cetane, water mitigation, cleaners, etc.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:54   #6
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

Sweet! Another biodiesel in a commonrail thread. I'm moving this to Alt Fuels.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:43   #7
torqueit
Veteran Member

I suspect VW will eventually approve use of B20 but may require more frequent oil changes due to fuel absorbsion.

Run it if you want, but I'd recommend oil analysis to be on the safe side. The lubricity benefits pretty much level off at B2.
torqueit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 13:10   #8
Elfnmagik
Veteran Member

...and the potential for more water being introduced into the fuel system.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 14:55   #9
aztecboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_Jetta_TDI View Post
I suspect VW will eventually approve use of B20 but may require more frequent oil changes due to fuel absorbsion.
Run it if you want, but I'd recommend oil analysis to be on the safe side. The lubricity benefits pretty much level off at B2.
I think VW will approve B20 sooner than later too. They are already testing B20 in all their clean diesel engines. I use a biodiesel made by Propel Fuels. They back their fuels 100%. If you go on their website, www.propelfuels.com, you can see all the supporting PDF files where B20 has been tested and oil analysis has been done and it shows that it's still within spec without changing oil change intervals. GMC, Chevy, and Ford already endorse B20. I don't know why VW, Audi, BMW, and Mercedes are having such a hard time endorsing B20.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 15:06   #10
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

All of the big trucks use AdBlue, which significantly reduces the use of post-injection with a subsequent reduction in oil dilution.
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 20:12   #11
JungleDeath
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Pretty Damn Good

I use B20 in my 2011. My source is Bently Biofuels. The engine is smoother, quieter, and has lately returned better fuel economy. The better fe, in my opinion (read: guess) is because there are fewer dpf regenerations. About 2 miles before I get to work is a 30mph zone to a 15mph zone and then 25mph the rest of the way (school zones). The fans are not running when I go to park like they have on straight D2.

I'm just shy of 7000 miles right now. I will get an oil analysis at my first oil change. I suggest you do the same. Why?

1. For your piece of mind
2. It will shut people up

I could check the # of regens w/ vcds. I don't know how but I will look into that. Also I could check the dipstick oil level.

I would like to bench b20 regens against D2 regens and see what surfaces.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 22:39   #12
aztecboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleDeath View Post
I use B20 in my 2011. My source is Bently Biofuels. The engine is smoother, quieter, and has lately returned better fuel economy. The better fe, in my opinion (read: guess) is because there are fewer dpf regenerations. About 2 miles before I get to work is a 30mph zone to a 15mph zone and then 25mph the rest of the way (school zones). The fans are not running when I go to park like they have on straight D2.
I'm just shy of 7000 miles right now. I will get an oil analysis at my first oil change. I suggest you do the same. Why?
1. For your piece of mind
2. It will shut people up
I could check the # of regens w/ vcds. I don't know how but I will look into that. Also I could check the dipstick oil level.
I would like to bench b20 regens against D2 regens and see what surfaces.
I have been running the B5 since I bought the car. So far, I have not been able to figure out if the car is on a consistent DPF Regen cycle. I can always tell when it's going through a cycle because it idles a bit higher and the fans are running. My car only has 12k on it. I do the maintenance when the reminder comes up on the instrument panel. According to VW, it's only required every 10k. I did the first oil change at 8k. I'm using the Amsoil Synthetic European Car Formula. It's a great synthetic oil and meets VW's oil specifications. I have checked the dip stick level since changing the oil and the oil level is still where it needs to be.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:43   #13
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

I don't think there is a consistant regen cycle; i.e. it starts every x miles. It has to do with the soot load and the operating temp of the engine. If you get out and run it at highway speeds, you may never get a passive regen.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:35   #14
740GLE
Veteran Member

There's a milage trigger as well as load trigger, which ever occurs first.

BTW on the highway up to speed and on long enough trips you're always doing a passive regen. There's a balance point where the soot is being burned off as its accumulating.

"Whole new generation Passat will work with you to create outstanding new classic, defining a new pattern!"
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 18:03   #15
donDavide
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztecboi View Post
Everyone has their own opinions about biodiesel and the different blends of it. In my opinion, B20 will help extend engine life and increase performance. Its much more lubricating than regular ultra low sulfur diesel which will allow the engine to run smoother. Also, B20 has a higher cetane rating than regular diesel for more engine efficiency and easier starting. I'm also looking to do my part for the environment by reducing harmful emissions like CO2 into the environment.
CO2 is not a harmful gas or a pollutant. B20 is a downgrade, you will lose mpg also, well I always did in PD and VE motors

Last edited by donDavide; March 23rd, 2012 at 18:06.
donDavide is offline   Reply With Quote