Intake flap motor information

theikell

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Hi all.

Last year I bought an 05 Passat Wagen TDI that came with an extended warranty from the previous owner. Surprisingly the warranty company has been fairly good about paying claims, but now they are refusing to pay a claim and I expect is is because their knowledge of diesel engines is weak.

The part that was replaced was the intake manifold flap motor (part #03G 128 063 J). The warranty company is refusing the claim because they say it performs the same function as a throttle body, which we all know is not correct.

According to the contract I can escalate the claim to a surety company that underwrites the contract, but when I do I need to supply documentation from a reliable source that shows that the warranty company is wrong in classifying this part as a throttle body.

Ideally what I need is documentation from VW that explains in detail what this part does. I've checked the local library, and the local dealer does not give me the time of day since I do not take my car to them for service. Does anybody on this forum have access to documentation that would help me make my case?

Thanks.

Tim

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Well, you have a point. But it will be more beneficial to find out why they are refusing the claim. In other words, if they refuse to cover any kind of ancilliary device that controls air flow into the engine, then you're screwed.

OTOH, if they are covering emissions control devices, then since that control is mainly (my understanding, anyway) to encourage maximum EGR flow, then you're golden.

My best suggestion is that maybe Bentley has some verbage in their manual that explains the operation and reason for the flap motor.

theikell

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
It is because in the contract there is a section titled "What is not covered" and the second item reads "throttle body assembly (except injectors)". They are denying it specifically because they say it performs the same function as a throttle body.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
It is strictly part of the emissions control system. It may be covered under that warranty, but I think to use the emissiion control systems warranty you have to fail a mandated emissins test. If it is like the BEW engine, Pierburg makes the throttle housing and here is one link:

http://www.ms-motor-service.cn/ximages/pg_50003864-02_web.pdf

See pages 7 & 8.

Also:

http://www.kspg-ag.de/index.php?fid=1092&lang=3

This on is really good:

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/Pierburg-Throttle%20Body&Control%20Valve%20Product%20Info.pdf

This is the one you need:

http://www.ms-motor-service.com/ximages/pg_si_0095_en_web.pdf

:)

Happy reading.

P.S., always refer to this part by its correct nomenclature when dealing with the insurance, per the above bulletin its the "intake manifold flap". Its not a "throttle body".

--Nate

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is in place to facilitate better flow of the EGR, and in certain instances better function of the catalyst. It does not really throttle the engine RPM like in a gasoline car, however its basic construction and design is essentially the same.

I've actually had to school a warranty company about this very same thing once, LOL. :p

To add confusion to the issue, VAG calls in a 'regulating flap', MB calls it an 'EGR throttle', and BMW just calls it an 'intake throttle'. So it would appear only VAG is the only German diesel car company that actually does NOT use the word 'throttle', despite the fact that they all use them the same way on their diesels.

BTW, the Bosch EDC book also refers to it as a throttle. ;)

This is taken from wiki:

"The power output of a diesel engine is controlled by regulating the quantity of fuel that is injected into the cylinder. Because the engines do not need to control air volumes, they lack a butterfly valve in the intake tract. An exception to this generalization is newer diesel engines meeting stricter emissions standards, where a throttle is used to generate intake manifold vacuum, thereby allowing the introduction of exhaust gas (see EGR) to lower combustion temperatures and thereby minimize NOx production"

This taken from the Bosch EDC book, page 88, under the heading "throttle valve":

"The throttle valve is controlled by an electropneumatic valve*, and in the diesel engine its function is very different to that in the gasoline engine. On the diesel engine it serves to increase the EGR rate by reducing the overpressure in the intake manifold. The throttle valve control is only operative in the lower speed range*"

* I need to add, this book is from 2001 and many things have changed since then... for instance the use of multi-phase stepper motors to operate the valve itself as well as their use at wider RPM ranges, even at idle on some engines. My newer book is not at the shop with me.

Last edited: