www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums TDIFAQ Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 15th, 2012, 12:31   #1
CoyoteStarfish
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 01 Beetle
Default Turbo went boom. [pics]

So I'm driving along, and I hear an all too familiar POP and loss of power. I immediately shut the engine down and coast into a parking lot expecting a charge pipe blew off somewhere. Not so lucky.
I see oil pouring all over the ground near the rear of the engine, so I play it safe.. call in, wait for a tow.
I get home and start checking around only to find THIS:

The entire compressor housing had sheared off!
When I reached down to feel how bad the compressor blade had been chewed up - knowing it wouldn't be salvageable anyway - I didn't feel anything at all. The compressor blade was gone.
Any idea what might have caused this? Vehicle details and mods are in my signature... keep in mind the EVRY mod is on a momentary button only activated at WOT. I was nowhere near WOT when this happened.
Everything - on B100
CoyoteStarfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 15:43   #2
Nutsnbolts

Fuel Economy: Average is about 47 now (2010)

That is absolutely amazing. I've got nothing as far as an idea about why that would have happened, though. At first glance, it looks like it took a hit from behind, but I'm not sure what could have done it. Was the nut that holds the turbo outlet pipe to the body (the one between the turbo and the intercooler) still on? If the pipe was hanging free, vibration over time might have fatigued the housing?

-Rich

2000 Jetta, M1TDT since 20K, RC2, PP520s, W8 panel, front/rear fogs, Pseat w/mem. Other cars:1968 Chrysler 300 2dr HT
Nutsnbolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 15:51   #3
CoyoteStarfish
Veteran Member

I just had to go check.. the pipe was still bolted to the body. Someone else suggested it may have been a casting flaw. There is a hair-line crack that runs from the center out to the outside of the flange. I'm trying to get a better picture right now.
Everything - on B100
Old March 15th, 2012, 15:53   #4
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

Seen other photos of the same type failure on this site. Looks like fatigue failure. Boost pressure up high?? High boost puts alot of force on that housing (looks like a piston to the pressurized air) and that will stress it where it failed. Each gear shift is a load cycle, creating a fatigue situation. Maybe some other turbos are beefier there.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 15:56   #5
CoyoteStarfish
Veteran Member

I'm running stock boost, and I don't drive it that hard. Oh well.. time for a VNT17 or 20 perhaps?
Everything - on B100
Old March 15th, 2012, 17:12   #6
CoyoteStarfish
Veteran Member

More pictures:

Everything - on B100
Old March 15th, 2012, 17:43   #7
bloc
Veteran Member

Shaft failure > compressor wheel wedging itself between the cartridge & housing? maybe?

bloc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 18:39   #8
diesel-dave
Veteran Member

looks like you need a new turbo, My suggestion is to get a vnt 17 this time. they are similar to vnt 15 in price.
2010 JSW wagon DSG loaded
2003 golf auto
diesel-dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 19:10   #9
CoyoteStarfish
Veteran Member

I'm looking at a VNT20 using a cast 8V manifold with a T25 flange. Not sure about clearances on this Beetle, however.. anyone want to chime in?

If that doesn't pan out, I'm also looking at a KP39A [Isn't this essentially a VNT17?] with integrated exhaust manifold.

We wanted to go big power with this Beetle, this was just a little unexpected. But if I have to shell out, I might as well go big.
Everything - on B100
Old March 15th, 2012, 19:33   #10
FordGuy100
Veteran Member

The same KP39 found on BEW's? if that's the cause many say that are to small andust be upgraded for bigger power.
Old May 18th, 2012, 14:59   #11
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Lowest is 40 sofar

i would love to know how yours blew aparts/ split. i did get a message from my VWvortex a guy John that had a same issue. i should call him like he offered. just wondering are all of your vacuum lines oem? mine r. have you ever replaced your N75 valve? mines OEM as far as i know, had the TDI a year and never replaced. old owner didnt know much. needed alot of tlc when i bought it. still needs some... anyways i had my EVRY mod on at WOT 2nd gear up hill pull, full running temp after bout 1hr plus driving lightly no evry. just normal cruising, wanted to pull up hill... BOOF. same though of boost pipe, no response. then i saw a bit of white smoke, had to crest the hill as i was on a highway. it started dieseling the oil(rpm and feel gave that away) i shuter down ASAP, in gear as i have PD150 IM and RP. no asv to shut for me as im egr deleted. coulda been the Engine!! glad to upgrade also, just way to unexpected....enough rambling
"Beef Budget Suspension" Club, MadeWhitbreads DIY Shorthrow. EvryMod,SmashedKat,Intakecutout,R32Snorkle, 5thbrakemod, Murdered(tint everything/black), Ecodes with oem Fog, VW Emblems cut in wheel well for SMIC, Shine RSB, BlauParts VR6refresh, 1.8t Pancake Pipe, PD150 IM and RacePipe..Working on FMIC/Clutch...always adding more ask if your curious
1.9 TDI Awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 15:06   #12
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

Exclamation My Split housing

This is the housing off my VNT15. as you can see pieces of the wheel are lodged into the housing...

then the whole housing, still unable to locate the actual shaft. however the nut is in mint condition threads and all! so confused on that part

seperated form the cast...
and literally all that i found in the housing on the road after blow out. wheel pieces where on my skid plate.

after tearing everything apart, the vanes work flawlessly. the actuator moves(unsure of how much vacuum it takes) and the soot was minimal. just oily as can be!...upgrade i guess!
"Beef Budget Suspension" Club, MadeWhitbreads DIY Shorthrow. EvryMod,SmashedKat,Intakecutout,R32Snorkle, 5thbrakemod, Murdered(tint everything/black), Ecodes with oem Fog, VW Emblems cut in wheel well for SMIC, Shine RSB, BlauParts VR6refresh, 1.8t Pancake Pipe, PD150 IM and RacePipe..Working on FMIC/Clutch...always adding more ask if your curious
Old May 18th, 2012, 15:13   #13
CoyoteStarfish
Veteran Member

I also have the EVRY mod, but mine is a bit different. I have a trigger button under the accelerator which only triggers it at WOT and there is a toggle which arms the trigger mounted just by my hazards. The EVRY was OFF when this happened!
I will admit, I did like to race this little Beetle around town, and with the EVRY it was pretty quick - so I did abuse it on occasion. It has no boost gauge, which is why I stopped using the EVRY in the interest of waiting until I could put a quality pyrometer and boost gauge on it.
I was leaving a McDonald's parking lot with casual acceleration and when I hit second gear.. "BOOF!" describes the sound perfectly. I thought maybe I had blown an intercooler hose but then I saw the white cloud and the engine started accelerating on its own. The first post describes the rest.
The compressor stage had been sheered off completely, leaving the damage pattern on the compressor housing you see above.
This car had OEM everything with no service records, 150k on it, clueless POs and the lady (my friend, owner for 3 years) I bought it from wasn't very well informed by myself as I didn't know much about the TDIs at the time of her ownership either. The only things I DO is that I installed some .216 "prothe" nozzles about 1.5 years ago and that the car had a timing belt and clutch installed a few months prior to my purchase.
Everything - on B100

Last edited by CoyoteStarfish; May 18th, 2012 at 15:17.
Old May 18th, 2012, 15:28   #14
1.9 TDI Awd
Veteran Member

hmm, i wish i new the reason? is it too much overboosting previous to it letting go? just bad turbo, oil seals going out anyways. i wish i knew more about what lead to this catostrophic failure.... have you repaired your setup yet? or are you still turbo less?
Old May 18th, 2012, 16:01   #15
CoyoteStarfish
Veteran Member

I've got a good used turbo on mine right now, still VNT15 until I get up the parts to do a 17 or 17/22 swap.
I did an EGR/CCV delete while I had it open so I'm in limp mode until I either tune it or go mTDI.
Everything - on B100