www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old March 11th, 2012, 17:44   #1
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~41mpg winter, ~45 summer
Default replaced OEM 17" ContiProContacts with 17" Michelin Priamcy MXM4's

The car came with 17" silver Goal wheels wrapped in Continental ContiProContacts. Awful tires. Grip was O.K. in dry and wet, but they were the noisiest, harshest tires I've ever had. I was looking forward to the day I could ditch them.

In the winter, I run a set of 16" aluminum rims from TireRack with Continental ExtremeWinterContacts. GREAT winter tire. I got them because they were well-rated both by TireRack's staff reviews, as well as Consumer Report's reviews. Winter performance was great, and they handled much better than my 15" Dunlops that I ran on my Mk4 Golf.

I mention my winter setup because those winter tires rode SO smoothly and SO quietly. When I put my winter wheels on, I went "aaahhh" at the quietness and smoothness. And putting the summer ContiProContacts back on was depressing, because it meant I had 8 months of harsh, loud tires ahead of me.

So I wasn't sure what to do when it came time to (somewhat prematurely) ditch the ContiProContacts. I was torn between trying a different set of 17's, or whether I should ditch the Goal wheels and get a set of VW 16" wheels. Was it the tire, or was it simply the wheel size?

Well, I went with a new set of 17" Michelin Primacy MXM4's. And I'm glad I did. They are a great tire. HUGE improvement over the ContiProContacts. Smooth and quiet, although not quite as quiet as a 16". We've got a section of highway that's extremely rough (lots of aggregate poking through the concrete), and these new tires are very tolerable on it. At highway speed they're quiet, too.

One downside is that I lost 2mpg when I went back to the 17's.

I had 4 sets of Michelins on my Mk4 Golf, and they were all excellent tires, so I've been a fan of Michelins. They're more expensive tires, but worth it, in my opinion. I hope we don't get into a tiff with France where we have to boycott French things again. (think 'freedom fries')

frugality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 19:34   #2
timwagon
Veteran Member

That's good to hear...I'm also not a big fan of the Continental 17" tires.
timwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 21:02   #3
Vidgamer
Veteran Member

The Contis seem to stick pretty well. I've been enjoying that.
Vidgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 00:23   #4
koharatx

Fuel Economy: 3 Apr 13, AVG: 7.1l/100Km/33 MPG (short trips/100+ mph on autobahn/cold weather)

I agree they're kinda crappy, but not the worst. I DID win that autocross event on the ContiProContacts. They're not a summer tire, they're all-season. They do NOT have very much grip, and yes, they're noisey as hell. I think there was only one other car out there that seemed to make as much noise as mine.

I believe the ContiProContacts are meant to be a cheaper, low rolling resistance tire. With a 400 tread wear rating, that would suggest a hard compound, which is not ideal for grip or comfort by any means. Traction is rated at AA and temperature at A, but these grades do not pertain to performance characteristics at all. Hankook semi-slicks are rated at 40 C A by the government UTQA standards, because traction, according to the government, simply means your tire can stop your car on wet pavement.

Seeing as how I am now in Germany, and my ContiProContacts are showing some wear, I haven't decided yet whether I want to get a dedicated set of snow tires, or just run some good all-seasons for my next set of tires. I have a feeling that if I get snow tires, I may only be using them for one season.
koharatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 05:55   #5
ksing44
Veteran Member

Great news! I'm planning to get the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires when I need new tires. I loved the old MXV4 tires on my Mercedes. I'm also planning to go up to 235/45/17 for a little beefier look and taller sidewall to fill the fender gap. I suspect the taller sidewall may also smooth the ride. I already run my tires a little softer than many. I keep them at 32 psi, which I think does help with the ride comfort and noise too.

Thanks again for the report!
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface

Flickr slideshow
ksing44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:13   #6
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

I think this will be my next set of tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ModClar=4-Door

I've been so impressed with my General Altimax Arctic winter tires that I've become quite a fan of General tires. And these G-Max tires are significantly less expensive than the Michelins ($448 vs $716 for a set of four tires), while also getting a very high rating on Tire Rack.

So that's my plan, once my OEM Contis wear out, which won't be for awhile since I have winter tires installed four months out of the year.
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:16   #7
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldste01 View Post
I think this will be my next set of tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ModClar=4-Door

I've been so impressed with my General Altimax Arctic winter tires that I've become quite a fan of General tires. And these G-Max tires are significantly less expensive than the Michelins ($448 vs $716 for a set of four tires), while also getting a very high rating on Tire Rack.

So that's my plan, once my OEM Contis wear out, which won't be for awhile since I have winter tires installed four months out of the year.
I did this exact thing on my last car. Loved my General artics so I went with a set of high rated General all seasons and I hated them. I wished that I had stuck with Michelins. I can't remember the model but I don't think they were gmax.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:24   #8
davebugs

I have the Michelins being discussed on factory 17" GTI wheels that I got used that are decent other than the slightly rougher ride.

I have had 2 sets of 4 General Altimax's 195/65/15 for my original Gold wheels and really think they are a good value even though I don't like them being directional.
davebugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:47   #9
CryoTech
Veteran Member

michelin > all other tires. I hate the contis on mine. Even more than runflats on a BMW
CryoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:33   #10
sgoldste01
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
I did this exact thing on my last car. Loved my General artics so I went with a set of high rated General all seasons and I hated them. I wished that I had stuck with Michelins. I can't remember the model but I don't think they were gmax.
For what it's worth, the G-Max model is considered an ultra high performance all-season tire, so I wouldn't expect it to perform like a typical all-season tire that you might find on a Toyota Camry.

What was it you hated about the General all seasons you tried in the past? Were they ultra high performance tires?
Old March 13th, 2012, 21:27   #11
MaddogTDI
Veteran Member

I love my Conti ProContacts... Great dry and wet grip and braking IMO. Good compromise between efficiency, grip, and noise. Much prefer to have them on the car than my General Altimax Arctics... Although I love those as well for their phenomenal snow & ice grip. Just love the performance and reduce noise from the Conti's more.

BioDiesel Mixture Table : http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=327822
MaddogTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 22:13   #12
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

Great info... I am running 16" Hankook Optimo 725A LRR tires... the road noise is OK, good... However I just bought a set of GOAL 17" VW OEM rims... and now looking for some rubber to wrap them in... The Michelin's sound good.

Looking at Discount Tire Direct they have some nice rubber (according to customer reviews) in the sub $120 range, even down to $90. I think we are conditioned to think paying more is better on tires. Or name brand has to be better.

I am VERY happy with my 16" Hankook Optimo 725A's. It is interesting they go for $122 on tire rack but in 17" they are $114. Usually the lower profile tires are more expensive. Any way have another +5K of good tread on the current tires, then I will make the switch from 16" to 17".
gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:38   #13
St.Hubbins
Veteran Member

i'm also looking forward to swapping the Conti's for something like the Primacy's... don't think i can wait to wear 'em out, either (only 19k), so i guess i'll try to sell em to offset some of the $$ of Michelins.
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:29   #14
Hurricane Drew
Veteran Member

General Tire is a wholly owned subsidiary of Continental Tire.
Hurricane Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 18:22   #15
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~41mpg winter, ~45 summer

My local dealer (TCI -- Tire Centers, Inc.) has a $70 Michelin mail-in rebate for the month of March when you buy a set. That's probably true at dealers near you. TireRack had that deal through the month of Feb.

I put on about 40k miles on the Continentals, and they still had some life left. Probably could have gotten 50k. (the other 15k were on my snow tires)

frugality is offline   Reply With Quote