Diesel Purge Question

2002MK4

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, 2003 Jetta TDI
Two parter actually...

1. MUST I replace the fuel filter when I run the diesel purge procedure and MUST I also conduct an oil change following the diesel purge?
2. Does diesel purge work and if so what will it help me achieve?

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
I cannot comment on the importance of #1, but I did change the oil and the filter when I ran a whole can of Lubro Molly about 500miles ago... just to be safe.

I will say though, with certainty, that the purge eliminated rough idling and improved the sound of my 02 Jetta with 151k on the clock. I would like to say it improved acceleration as well, but cannot provide dyno proof.

joseluis.17g

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 MKIV mexican Jetta 1.9 TDI
I don't think you need to change it, but it's really easy if you have done all the steps for the purge, save you the mess of do it everything again and just change it, and I don't think you need to change you oil, if any junk is getting ripped off by the purge, it should go to the exhaust.
The purge is a way of keeping the injector cleaner

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Any evidence that that the purge improves MPGs?
If it cleans your injectors why wouldn't it,you would get a better spray pattern

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Two parter actually...
1. MUST I replace the fuel filter when I run the diesel purge procedure and MUST I also conduct an oil change following the diesel purge?
2. Does diesel purge work and if so what will it help me achieve?
1. No and No.
2. Yes, it will clean your IP, your injectors and smooth out your idle.

Just search the forums for Diesel Purge. Both of the methods that folks here use completely by-pass the fuel filter.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
1. No and No.
2. Yes, it will clean your IP, your injectors and smooth out your idle.

Just search the forums for Diesel Purge. Both of the methods that folks here use completely by-pass the fuel filter.
I would not by-pass the fuel filter, but I don't think you need to change it when you do the procedure.

I would change oil after driving one tank of fuel. We count on our oil to go 10K mi. Burning something as potent as DP is bound to introduce something into the crankcase that may adversely interact with the oil additives.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
I would not by-pass the fuel filter, but I don't think you need to change it when you do the procedure.

I would change oil after driving one tank of fuel. We count on our oil to go 10K mi. Burning something as potent as DP is bound to introduce something into the crankcase that may adversely interact with the oil additives.
Both set-ups visited on these forums by-pass the engine's fuel filter, BUT add a separate in-line filter in the DP supply hose.

I'm not sure how running on DP for 15 or 20 minutes will adversely effect the oil??

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anything you inject/burn in the engine is going to impact the oil in the crankcase. We don't know how much. The additive pack in your oil allows you to run the 10K mi oil change interval. If you perform a Diesel Purge at the same time you do an oil change, then you don't know how much you are shortening the oils service life. I play it safe by performing the purge shortly before the oil change instead of right after or at the same time.

I also perform the DP by replacing the fuel tank with the can of purge. This way anything that might float into the open reservoir during the purge procedure is filtered out by the stock fuel filter.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
... I have read of people burning half a can and pouring the other half in the tank...
Pouring half the can into the tank is wasting much of the benefit of the DP.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
...I also perform the DP by replacing the fuel tank with the can of purge. This way anything that might float into the open reservoir during the purge procedure is filtered out by the stock fuel filter...
:confused:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here is a how to video I made for anyone who wants to see how the diesel purge is done :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq_ZGh1KEec
Nice video. Make sure you hose off any diesel or diesel purge you spill inside the engine compartment. that stuff will eat your coolant and other hoses. Best to just clamp those lines when you pull them off the filter to minimize the mess.