www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 23:57   #1
rybot

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta
Default 01M hesitation into drive- how long can this go on?

Hi All,

Total Noob here. Just purchased a 2001 Jetta TDI AT with 155,00 miles, and have been going down the grocery list of items (timing belt, filters, oil etc) and just had my valve body replaced at German Transaxle (awesome bunch over there) which solved my rpm flux issues (TC unlocking and locking) but I still have a slow engagement into drive when shifting out of park. They told me it could be a start of the planetary gear going. All else shifts very fine, no metal in the pan etc...

My question: Anyone else just "living " with this problem, and if so how long? Not sure I can afford a full rebuild, but don't want to destroy the car/trans either.

Thanks All!

RB

2001 TDI JETTA 01M
rybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 00:38   #2
Birdman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 summer 50 winter

Hate to tell you that you will need a new Tranny. This is a common problem with this transmission and the only fix is NOT rebuilding it like you should be able to but to buy a new/rebuilt one form VW. This has been going on since we started buying the A-4 platform car. Also on the A-3 cars that my Mon had. She got sick with 150000 miles on her Auto and the car set all winter and which up till then had never had a problem, then my car was run off the road and I had to use her car which in that winter the weather was way below normal and the car would do just like yours is doing now. I did drive it for about 2 months but just as soon as I could get back into a 5 speed I sold the car. You would think after 16-20 years of the same flaw in their car VW would fix it. But just like the windows falling out and the MAFs failing both which took lawsuits to get repaired VW will not fix anything that they and other car makers can get away from. Maybe the lawsuit on the door locks / alarm till get out money back one of these days but I never expect to see anything on the transmission, way to much money if they can hold off, But then we keep driving the cars (s speed anyway) and I do not plan on getting rid out mine anytime soon when I can get over 55 MPG.
2003 Jetta 216 injectors, race pipe, OMI, 2.5 cat back pipe, Sachs power clutch,Lightweight fly wheel,Rocketchip 3.0,Dieselgeek race pipe,Borla SS exhaust,Dieselgeek Intercooler pipes,Pierburg MAF,EU cluster with LED Boost gauge,,
Ventectomy,Alientech window,Old Navy ccv filter,Catch can,Dieselgeek short shifter,ATE power slot rotors,Porterfield pads,Shine suspension,Shine rear sway bar,TT pedals & foot rest,Cat fuel filter 2 micron,Alum skid plate,Euro headlights and switch,5 Brake light mod.
Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:17   #3
CoolAirVw

TDI(s): Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40

delayed engagment is common. If it goes into gear then just ignore it and keep driving it. It you have to give it some gas to make it engage into gear then you should probably repair it as soon as you can.

Note: Make sure the trans is full of fluid.
Richard. ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating. ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions. ASE Certified for Passenger Car Light Diesel Engine.

Now offering Malone Tunes!..............http://www.kansascitytdi.com/
CoolAirVw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:00   #4
joetdi
Veteran Member

Mine has been doing this for 100K and hasn't changed. And the valve body is not your problem so, don't try one.
joetdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 20:26   #5
rybot

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta

Thanks all-
It does go into gear after about 4 seconds, sooner if I give it the gas. I replaced the valve body to solve a different issue with the TC coming unlocked at highway speed. So I guess I will think on this, weigh my options on if 3k for the rebuild is worth the car which I have 6k into.
rybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:04   #6
acesneights
Veteran Member

Its worth it lol. Mine does the same thing but after its hot. Im gonna change the filter next weekend. Inassume the tranny fluid and filter are vw only ?
acesneights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:40   #7
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Rybot, check with Coolairvw.
VW does not build or sell cars. VW builds and sells mobile DIY kits disguised as cars.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 13:35   #8
CoolAirVw

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesneights View Post
Its worth it lol. Mine does the same thing but after its hot. Im gonna change the filter next weekend. Inassume the tranny fluid and filter are vw only ?
not necessarily. the guy in the following link has a good filter kit for 29.

http://WWW.kansascitytdi.com
Richard. ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating. ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions. ASE Certified for Passenger Car Light Diesel Engine.

Old March 12th, 2012, 08:49   #9
timothyn

CoolAirVw I have the same problem. give it gas goes in gear. reverse goes in very hard. Is there anything to check? Or do you know any good guys in and around Toronto?
timothyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 08:24   #10
CoolAirVw

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyn View Post
CoolAirVw I have the same problem. give it gas goes in gear. reverse goes in very hard. Is there anything to check? Or do you know any good guys in and around Toronto?
check the fluid level.

Old March 16th, 2012, 09:20   #11
acesneights
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolAirVw View Post
not necessarily. the guy in the following link has a good filter kit for 29.

http://WWW.kansascitytdi.com
Thanks for the link, I am having the car swapped to a 5 spd this weekend by a vendor here.
Old March 16th, 2012, 09:21   #12
acesneights
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyn View Post
Try giving it fuel instead...lol
Sorry could not resist...Diesel Humor...
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:06   #13
MotorCityMadman
Veteran Member

So if it is not a valvebody issue then what is the cause?

Old thread, I know, still interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetdi View Post
Mine has been doing this for 100K and hasn't changed. And the valve body is not your problem so, don't try one.
MotorCityMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:14   #14
fruitcakesa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48.1- the 03's first tank!

Mine also has been doing it for 100k. Regular fluid and filter changes and replaced TC at 129k for a flywheel issue

2003 Jetta TDI 5 spd manual 203k+ my new ride now with working turbo
fruitcakesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:52   #15
CoolAirVw

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCityMadman View Post
So if it is not a valvebody issue then what is the cause?

Old thread, I know, still interested.
Pressure loss. Pressure that should be applying the clutch is leaking off. Basically pressure just falls into the pan.