www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+)

VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) Discussions area for the MkVI (2011+) Jetta sedan. This model was originally codenamed NCS (New Compact Sedan).

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:01   #1
PAJettaTDI

Arrow TSB 211106 Photos - Cold weather intercooler kit

Finally got my Cold Weather Intercooler Kit (1K0198803B) installed. Thought I'd share a few photos of what the connections look like on my 2011 Jetta in case anyone is interested.

Air Cleaner Ventilation Hose Splice:

Vacuum Source Hose Splice:

Charge Air temperature switch:

Charge Air Pipe with Sensor:

Splice Hose Routing:
(There does not appear to be a vacuum overlay harness as inidicated in the TSB and the routing goes down along the side rather than over top...although it doesn't seem like this should matter)

Last edited by PAJettaTDI; March 2nd, 2012 at 07:44.
PAJettaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 20:40   #2
detroitmike
Veteran Member

Hope it works for you. Still waiting on mine.

detroitmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:13   #3
GraniteRooster
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '12 JSW 6MT
Fuel Economy: 41 Winter | 45 Summer

Nice photos - your third picture is a charge air temperature sensor, not a pressure sensor. Thanks for posting!

Do you mind if I add your photos to the IC sticky in the MK 6 forum?

Last edited by GraniteRooster; March 2nd, 2012 at 05:14.
GraniteRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:13   #4
Organdonor
Veteran Member

How long did it take for your parts to come in? My dealer allegedly ordered the parts to do mine back on January 14th, and I haven't gotten a call yet.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:59   #5
PAJettaTDI

Sure you can add the pictures to your post. Other than the sticky with pertinent information, that thread got insanely large, beyond the point of reading which is why I started a new thread specifically showing what that actual dealer installation of that kit looks like.

Time frame for me was at least 2 months from what I can remember. I'll check my paperwork tonight for the exact date when this first happened and the dealer checked it over and ordered the kit. I hear your frustration...had my car looked at by two different dealers, called Customer Care once and submitted an email ticket to them once, not that it did any good, but at least they knew I was dissatisfied waiting an undetermined amount of time, during the months when we really needed it fixed.
PAJettaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 16:16   #6
Savageman69
Veteran Member

only took me 3 weeks to get my kit ordered and installed....Still working great here
2012 Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 31 BFG k02s - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Cooler Delete
2006 Jetta TDI 5pd
Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 01:53   #7
huntdi
Veteran Member

clear me on this, so vw only cover this under warranty if the problem has occurred.
is that right? my car is still under warranty.

thanks,
Old October 6th, 2012, 02:31   #8
TDI_Dan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitmike View Post
Hope it works for you. Still waiting on mine.
Were you able to ask for one? Or is it still only addressed after you have an issue? I had some rough idling recently and I'm considering checking the ic hoses. Would vcds show anything?
Old October 6th, 2012, 08:38   #9
detroitmike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI_Dan View Post
Were you able to ask for one? Or is it still only addressed after you have an issue? I had some rough idling recently and I'm considering checking the ic hoses. Would vcds show anything?
I made a big stink about it with my dealer back in January and just last week they finally installed it for me. All I can say is, if you are concerned, which you should be, be persistant with your dealer and explain to them you have had rough starts in cold weather and have done your research and know about the service bulletin cold weather IC kit and you need it. Not sure where you are in michigan but down south here i'm not sure if it has been cold enough for this to happen. The way it works is running the car in below freezing weather, the egr pumps exhaust gases into the intercooler, the humidity in those gases condense to form water and ice. The ice can block the air intake hose or what else could happen is that ice can melt when the temp rises above freezing usually during the heat of the day when your car is sitting in the parking lot at work. Then when you go to start your car, the engine will suck water out of the intercooler causing the pistons to hydro lock bending all kinds of expensive parts.

I dont believe the car keeps track of water in the intercooler so VCDS wont be able to help you on that one but if you think you might have water in there, drop the belly pan and remove the engine side IC hose to look for water.

There is a monster thread about this in a sticky on the golf section. Long read but lots of info. Check it out.

I was also considering getting dpf delete kit with an egr delete and a tune which would also solve the problem. Out of pocket cost is expensive but you also get a stage 2 malone tune.

Last edited by detroitmike; October 6th, 2012 at 09:13. Reason: screwed something up
detroitmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 17:16   #10
elconquistador
Veteran Member

I just had mine done after waiting for the parts for 9 months. Keep on 'em!
elconquistador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 17:26   #11
jmarshall
Veteran Member

PAJettaTDI, you don't happen to be from the clarion area do you?
jmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 20:23   #12
740GLE
Veteran Member

So who here with a brand new 2013 is going to be the first to have one of these installed?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:22   #13
kjake
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Gone!

Well, this has me just a little worried I live in West MI ...
kjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 11:12   #14
jmarshall
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjake View Post
Well, this has me just a little worried I live in West MI ...
I live in northwest pa and have yet to have an issue
jmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 13:06   #15
pstroms

Not that it does not get cold here in the South - is it cold enough in Georgia to need to worry about this? Does this happen as soon as it gets below freezing or does this take a day or two? Obviously, I have not had any issues with this as we have not even come close to the temps you are talking about in this thread. However, winter is coming and we are known to get fairly cold with some snow/ice. Thanks for any input you can share.