www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old February 27th, 2012, 17:54   #1
Fauvay

TDI(s): 2000 Golf
Default MPG improvements

I will preface this by saying there are a lot of variables in this analysis and not a lot of miles to smooth out fluctuations. That said...

In my recently acquired 2000 Golf 5 speed, I've noticed the following over the last 3 tanks of diesel that I've filled up. Prior to that, I really wasn't watching mileage.

From earliest to most recent:
- 36.4 MPG. Nearly all city driving. Minnesota winter. Ambient air temperature starts

- 38.5 MPG. Nearly all city driving. Minnesota winter. Frost heater newly installed for entire tank of fuel.

- 42.6 MPG. Nearly all city driving. Minnesota winter. Right foot mod.

I've just replaced my MAF and am expecting a slight bump for this next tank. The previous owner was running a K&N filter, so I suspect a fouled MAF might be robbing a little efficiency. I will post how it turns out.

For full-disclosure, I do not fully top off until I see diesel, so I can't say for sure I have exactly the same amount of fuel in the tank for each trip. Regardless, interesting numbers and certainly trending in the right direction.
Fauvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 19:34   #2
Padrino
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauvay View Post
I will preface this by saying there are a lot of variables in this analysis and not a lot of miles to smooth out fluctuations. That said...

In my recently acquired 2000 Golf 5 speed, I've noticed the following over the last 3 tanks of diesel that I've filled up. Prior to that, I really wasn't watching mileage.

- 36.4 MPG. Nearly all city driving. Minnesota winter. Ambient air temperature starts

- 38.5 MPG. Nearly all city driving. Minnesota winter. Frost heater newly installed for entire tank of fuel.

I've just replaced my MAF and am expecting a slight bump for this next tank. The previous owner was running a K&N filter, so I suspect a fouled MAF might be robbing a little efficiency. I will post how it turns out.

For full-disclosure, I do not fully top off until I see diesel, so I can't say for sure I have exactly the same amount of fuel in the tank for each trip. Regardless, interesting numbers and certainly trending in the right direction.
As many will confirm, this is the BEST mod you can make to your car. It doesn't cost anything but the return is fantastic.
Well done on the MAF, this will help your car a lot.
Well done, keep us posted.

Vivere senza rimpianti
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3RToBymttA
Padrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:19   #3
josh8loop
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 MPG City with the previous 01M, 5-speed 60+ MPG City. Always searching for ways to make it better!!

Quote:

Yes, certainly heading in the right direction. how is the health of your thermostat?
Now have Nokian Entyre Low RR tires!
josh8loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 16:04   #4
Fauvay

Good question about the thermostat. I forgot to mention I put in a new one at about the same time as the Frostheater install.

It hadn't been getting up to normal operating temperature. Once I installed the new one, problem solved. Pegged straight up at 190 once warmed up.
Old February 28th, 2012, 16:30   #5
jgeorge
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Last checked- 4.35L/100km combined.

Ventectomy & brim your tank, then you'll really know how many mpg's your seasonaly gaining or loosing. Numbers look good so far.
jgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 17:08   #6
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeorge View Post
Ventectomy & brim your tank, then you'll really know how many mpg's your seasonaly gaining or loosing. Numbers look good so far.
I agree, without seeing fuel at the brim your numbers are only close. Good job so far on the increases!

PS, start a Fuelly acct, it's a great way to watch your MPG and we can too!

Last edited by psd1; February 28th, 2012 at 17:09. Reason: Fuelly
psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 05:14   #7
Fauvay

Will consider ventectomy. Not sure how die-hard I want to be about mileage

I've got a fuelly account. How do I get it to post stats in my signature?
Old February 29th, 2012, 05:42   #8
MikeMars
Veteran Member

Click on 'user CP' (upper/left of forum).
Click on 'edit signature'.
Paste in the BBCode image link for your signature & the fuelly URL ... something like this:

{URL= "http://www.fuelly.com/driver/USERNAME/CARNAME" }{IMG} http://www.fuelly.com/sig-uk/SIGNATUREID.png {/IMG}{/URL}

Where { and } are the square brackets, and the username, carname and signature ID are identifiers from fuelly.

You will need to look at the fuelly instructions to find out what they should be.
http://www.fuelly.com/faq/23/Fuelly-...ignature-badge

Audi A2 TDi 1.4*, 6M/0.588, mild aero mods, 103hp remap (* 3 pot version of 1.9PD)
Y2000 Passat TDi 115 PD RETIRED, M5, Best 75MPGuk, usually 60-70. 900m clubx7. 1000 mile clubx3.
VW Fuel saving tips

Last edited by MikeMars; February 29th, 2012 at 05:49.
MikeMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 18:35   #9
Fauvay

Got it. Thanks!
Old April 6th, 2012, 18:34   #10
Fauvay

Alright! Just filled up after a 700 mile city tank in my now vented Golf. From looking at fuel, to looking at fuel, just over 45 mpg on this tank. Things keep going in the right direction!

Since last post, I have inflated my 17" tires to the 50psi stated as max pressure. They were at 30-35ish. I also cleaned out my intake manifold which had about 60% blockage. It has also warmed up quite a bit since some of those earlier tanks and I'm getting a little better at timing lights.
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:06   #11
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Alright! Just filled up after a 700 mile city tank in my now vented Golf. From looking at fuel, to looking at fuel, just over 45 mpg on this tank. Things keep going in the right direction!
Since last post, I have inflated my 17" tires to the 50psi stated as max pressure. They were at 30-35ish. I also cleaned out my intake manifold which had about 60% blockage. It has also warmed up quite a bit since some of those earlier tanks and I'm getting a little better at timing lights.
Good work, I see the mileage bug has gotten to you and you decided to vent!
It becomes somewhat of an addiction, I used to hate going to the pump, now I am like...dang, I think this is going to be a good tank...I need to fill up and check it out!

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:17   #12
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

It will really come up when the winterized diesel is gone for the season. 17's don't help things and I imagine the ride is punishing with them aired up to 50psi.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me MY CALENDAR
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 11:23   #13
Fauvay

I'm curious to the specific impact winter diesel has. We will see in a little bit here...

Yeah, the 17s are what was on the car when I bought it. It's not really punishing, just certainly not plush.
Old April 7th, 2012, 19:50   #14
Hansgruber

TDI(s): 2006 TDI
Fuel Economy: Currently averaging over 49 MPG

Quote:
I'm curious to the specific impact winter diesel has. We will see in a little bit here...

Yeah, the 17s are what was on the car when I bought it. It's not really punishing, just certainly not plush.
I think the colder temps have a larger impact than winter fuel. While winter diesel may have a lower BTU; cold fluids and moving parts are less efficient.
Old April 21st, 2012, 19:09   #15
smck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: upper 60's

Quote:
The energy content is a bit less depending on the blend. But the block heater will help you quite a bit. You may want to find someone with a VAGCOM if you don't have one and check your injection timing and IQ as well. Just did the Hammer Mod on mine and seems to be making quite a difference both in power and economy.