www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old February 19th, 2012, 21:54   #1
toddmanley

Default Engine Fan Still Running after the car is turned off

I searched a few message boards and didn't find any answers yet to this situation.

This occurrence happened twice to me tonight. I drove about 8 miles out to a friend's house (80% freeway) and when I turned the car off the engine fan (not sure if it was the radiator or auxiliary fan) kept running for 30 seconds. The outside temperature was around 55* and I wasn't pushing the car hard.

Drove the same way home and when I pulled in my garage the fan(s) did the same thing, but this time for nearly 2 minutes. I popped open the hood and didn't see anything strange. Surprised that the fans were still running, I turned on the car, let it idle for 5 seconds then turned it off. This time the fans stopped.

I'm not sure what caused this behavior but I'm interested to know if anybody else has experienced this same thing.

-Thanks, Todd
Old February 19th, 2012, 21:55   #2
bhutchins
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: best 47

particulate filter regeneration causes this. if you turn off the engine in the middle of a regeneration, it will do it again when it heats up
Old February 19th, 2012, 23:52   #3
Tcobar

I was wondering the same thing. It has happens to me about three times, with a slight smell of gasoline? New engine smells? The air was being blown in from the front and it felt like it was exiting from just behind the driver door. What do you mean by "it will do it again when it heats up"? Would you please explain a bit further?

This is our first Diesel car, so although it felt like strange behavior I just thought it was probably normal.
Tcobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 00:28   #4
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmanley View Post

I'm not sure what caused this behavior but I'm interested to know if anybody else has experienced this same thing.

-Thanks, Todd
Everyone with a 2009+ TDI has experienced this same thing. It is perfectly normal. The regeneration sysle for the DPF is burning off accumulated soot. This generates a lot of heat and the fans running prevents all the plastic bits under the hood from melting. It's nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcobar View Post
Would you please explain a bit further?

This is our first Diesel car, so although it felt like strange behavior I just thought it was probably normal.
See above. The DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) catches soot. When it gets full the ECU starts a regeneration cycle which burns off that accumulated soot. It is completely normal behavior.

A search for "fans running" or "fans racing" on this site will discover dozens of threads just like this one.

Have Fun!

Don
Dieselgeek Shortshifter & Panzer Plate (my favorite & my smartest mods)
2MicronTech Pure Flow and Contain Flow CR fuel system modifications
JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 05:34   #5
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Odor is from the new paint/plastics, etc. getting heated for the first few times. The odor will subside over time. Engine temp rises (not seen on the temp gauge), and if the engine is idling, idle speed will bump up to c. 1k rpm.
The DPF (diesel particulate filter) generates HUGE heat, hence the fans (both) are running on high, pulling air through the radiator, around the engine, and exiting below the firewall...that's why you feel it under the body of the car.

Do an advanced search for "DPF" or "regeneration". Lots to read there.

FYI: An active "regen" will occur every 300-400 miles, unless you do a lot of highway (steady-state cruising around 2k RPM) driving, where passive regens occur as needed.
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:32   #6
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

VW really needs to put a label under the hood saying that the fans running after engine is turned off is NORMAL.

We keep seeing the same question because it is NOT clearly spelled out or explained by the dealer during feature call out.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:40   #7
MyAvocation
Veteran Member

Or just read the manual.
Old February 20th, 2012, 21:26   #8
TDiSkater
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 Winter/41 Summer

My sales guy did two things right for me. Set up my convenience features and told me about regens.

Said he was tired of panicked calls about cars burning up.

Still weird the first time it happens. You'd think VW would have a TDI basics brochure or some kinda quick study guide vs that stupid brochure on changing the radio stations and turning on the wipers.

VW-OEM European Steel Skidplate | 35% LLumar Tint all around | Pano Sunroof | ScanGauge II | WeatherTech Weatherflectors and Digital Fit Floorliners l Faux TDI Mirror Etching l RGM Bumper Guard | Michelin Primacy MXV4 | Non-OEM Aspherical Mirrors - $3 Blind Spot Mirror | 60,000 miles |
TDiSkater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 22:15   #9
Niner
duplicate account, banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmanley View Post
I searched a few message boards and didn't find any answers yet to this situation.

This occurrence happened twice to me tonight. I drove about 8 miles out to a friend's house (80% freeway) and when I turned the car off the engine fan (not sure if it was the radiator or auxiliary fan) kept running for 30 seconds. The outside temperature was around 55* and I wasn't pushing the car hard.

Drove the same way home and when I pulled in my garage the fan(s) did the same thing, but this time for nearly 2 minutes. I popped open the hood and didn't see anything strange. Surprised that the fans were still running, I turned on the car, let it idle for 5 seconds then turned it off. This time the fans stopped.

-Thanks, Todd
Page 320 and 321 of your Owner's Manual, that thing you are supposed to read cover to cover, to understand how your car works.
Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 22:58   #10
Tcobar

Thanks for the replies! And yes, my wife and I are both reading the manual. That's how we learned how to set the presets on the driver seat,... but haven't read this section yet. I've switched to reading on how the navigation system works.
Tcobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:30   #11
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Fuel Economy: Old Passat 40 Mercedes 20

Here we go again!! this time on the Passat side......how many threads will we see here?

2013 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium Frost Silver/Titan Black
1996 Passat TDI Storm Grey
1984 Mercedes 300D Blue/Green
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 20:49   #12
tdi90hp
Veteran Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366 View Post
Here we go again!! this time on the Passat side......how many threads will we see here?
did you expect different?
tdi90hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 05:43   #13
tomo366
TDI Lifer

Yeh I guess....

Old February 27th, 2012, 06:05   #14
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366 View Post

It averages about 5 a month, give or take.
Old February 27th, 2012, 06:24   #15
tomo366
TDI Lifer

I have said it before and I will say it again....these cars are not for everyone! Please check it out carefully before you buy! With gas prices rising as they are they are going to sell a bunch! And knowing what I do now I wouldn't buy one!