2012 windshield washer pump action

Tarka

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, Highline, Technology package
I've had my new '12 Jetta Highline for about two weeks now and have noticed a definite difference in the action of the windshield washer pump compared to the one in my previous '09 Jetta. Is it 'normal' now for the pump to take 2 - 3 swipes of the blades before it puts any fluid on the screen? I'm sure my previous Jetta pretty well did it in the first pass of the blades. This extra delay is a safety issue, I feel, especially if road slush, salt, mud etc. is thrown up in any significant quantity. :mad:
Otherwise, I'm still really enjoying my hugely decontented Jetta. It still has the things that matter most to me: diesel economy and reliability, improved gas mileage, lots of standard airbags, Tiptronic tranny, great headlights [for halogens], etc. The RNS 350 Nav system and a working BT phone interface are also great.
Thanks for any feedback on the washer pump issue. :)

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Ive noticed the same thing. You get use to it. I chalk it up to helping to make sure the fluid doesnt freeze.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
How'd you get a "tiptronic tranny" in your TDI?

Autos have been DSG's since 2006.

Tarka

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't intend to get used to it. I'll have it fixed or replaced. It's simply not acceptable, and I have an appointment at the dealer this Friday.

"..make sure the fluid doesn't freeze". Wow! How cold is it where you live? The fluid everyone gets where I live is good to -40 [that's the same in F and C]. I think it's because the fluid retreats and the pump has to reprime itself every time it's called upon. Poor design, or poor manufacture. Or both.

"Tiptronic tranny" - ooops! I've been looking at so many cars lately that I confused terms. it's a DSG, of course, and not that dissimilar to the DSG anyway.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
Yup definitely pump losing its prime. Mine does it too.

Let me know if you get a "normal" function fixed. And this is not to say I agree with how it works, but rather if they all do it what is the reason they should fix it.

Last edited:

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't intend to get used to it. I'll have it fixed or replaced. It's simply not acceptable, and I have an appointment at the dealer this Friday.

"..make sure the fluid doesn't freeze". Wow! How cold is it where you live? The fluid everyone gets where I live is good to -40 [that's the same in F and C]. I think it's because the fluid retreats and the pump has to reprime itself every time it's called upon. Poor design, or poor manufacture. Or both.

"Tiptronic tranny" - ooops! I've been looking at so many cars lately that I confused terms. it's a DSG, of course, and not that dissimilar to the DSG anyway.

To each their own, not worth a battle with me to have it spray 2 seconds earlier.

All the fluid I use is only rated to 32 degrees so it is quite possible it could freeze.

If you get it fixed report back.

Tarka

Veteran Member
TDI
So I took the Jetta in for service this afternoon. One hour later, I received it back with the windshield pump in perfect working order. I now have a full, fan-tailed jet of washer fluid on the screen before the blades even move. Wonderful! It seems that, upon installation, the fluid hoses were kinked and little could get through, and then only when the pump had delivered its maximum pressure. All is now well, and done under warranty, of course. Kudos to Service Advisor Peter and Technician Wally at Hunt Club Motors in Ottawa. They ARE the best!

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
So I took the Jetta in for service this afternoon. One hour later, I received it back with the windshield pump in perfect working order. I now have a full, fan-tailed jet of washer fluid on the screen before the blades even move. Wonderful! It seems that, upon installation, the fluid hoses were kinked and little could get through, and then only when the pump had delivered its maximum pressure. All is now well, and done under warranty, of course. Kudos to Service Advisor Peter and Technician Wally at Hunt Club Motors in Ottawa. They ARE the best!
Any chance you know where exactly this kink was.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Well good for you. From what you described, it was not working as it should. It is good to hear of a positive dealer experience...................

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Ive noticed the same thing. You get use to it. I chalk it up to helping to make sure the fluid doesnt freeze.
That is pretty ridiculous. The freezing point of WW fluid is well below freezing.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
To each their own, not worth a battle with me to have it spray 2 seconds earlier.

All the fluid I use is only rated to 32 degrees so it is quite possible it could freeze.

If you get it fixed report back.
What are you using, straight water? Everything I have ever bought has a freezing point of well below the freezing point of water. Even the realty cheap stuff.

If the sprayer doesn't spray as soon as you turn it on, there is something wrong with the system.

Last edited:

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
What are you using, straight water? Everything I have ever bought has a freezing point of well below the freezing point of water. Even the realty cheap stuff.

If the sprayer doesn't spray as soon as you turn it on, there is something wrong with the system.
Agreed there is something wrong with the system, if you read the posts he had it fixed.

I am buying rain-x bug wash. If you look at my tag I live in FL. Almost every washer fluid we buy is only rated to 32 degrees. Around winter you can buy the sub zero kind incase you drive north but for the most part you never see.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Oh. Okay. in Florida you may never see freezing weather. For most of the rest of the country, pretty much, the WW fluid sold year round is formulated to withstand freezing temps.

In Florida, the bugs are certainly more of an issue than freezing weather................

Tarka

Veteran Member
TDI
Any chance you know where exactly this kink was.
I shall ask at the dealership on Monday and see if they remember where the kink was located. Seems to me I recall having this same trouble with another previous Jetta.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
I shall ask at the dealership on Monday and see if they remember where the kink was located. Seems to me I recall having this same trouble with another previous Jetta.

Great, thanks!

Tarka

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been busy .. I passed the dealership today and dropped in to ask about the washer problem. I was told by the fellow at the service counter that they found the w/washer line pinched on the right side (passenger) under the wiper cowl. Hope this helps.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been busy .. I passed the dealership today and dropped in to ask about the washer problem. I was told by the fellow at the service counter that they found the w/washer line pinched on the right side (passenger) under the wiper cowl. Hope this helps.
Ill investigate....thanks.

Tarka

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, folks, I've been busy.... The Service Rep told me yesterday that the windshield washer hose was pinched on the right (passenger) side under the plastic wiper cowl. Hope this helps.

Tarka

Veteran Member
TDI
The hose was pinched on the passenger side, just below the plastic cowl that crosses the car just below the base of the windshield.