www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 27th, 2012, 16:00   #1
doland

Default MK4 golf tdi Cold starting problems

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you guys could possibly help me out, iv done some searches but havent found much luck with things to try !

Iv got a MK4 golf 1.9 TDI PD 115 engine but keep have issues starting the car when its cold. If i turn the key for a second to turn it over then turn it off and then back on again it will start within 4-5 seconds, whereas if i turn the key from start it keep turning over and wont start at all.

I have plugged a code reader into the car and it came up with error code - 17978 and 16705

I have given the car a full service - glow plugs, fuel filter, oil, air filter, oil filter, as i read in places it could be the plugs or fuel filter still no luck.

I believe one of the fault codes is to do with the cam shaft position sensor located next to the cam belt, which i have changed, it got better for a few days then went back to normal.

Since then i have ran out of idea ! if anyone has any advice i would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks
doland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 17:05   #2
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

Try searching for "hard start" "cold start" and "glowplug" or try searching using the error code numbers.

There's a lot written about this and it probably is related to your glowplug harness or the connection of the harness to the glowplugs.
2004 Golf GL PD TDI -- Malone Tuned, GLI Recaros, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, A4 Defender skid plate, Whitedog intake hose fix, Check Temp III, FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here), Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, SBC Stage II Daily.
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 17:19   #3
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Maybe the ignition switch but I'm not sure, 17978

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...8/P1570/005488

Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 00:49   #4
doland

thanks guys il give it a look
doland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 06:47   #5
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

You can also check out the coolant temp sensor. If its faulty it won't cycle the GPs for as long as it should. Common failure on the ALH/VE MKIV's, not sure about your model. The GP indicator lamp isn't neccessarily an indicator of how long they are cycling on.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 07:27   #6
LLJ85

Fuel Economy: 49 mpg hwy

I have an 01 that would not start - "shifting into reverse kills engine".
This is what I ended up doing. Get a volt meter, with the key on test the voltage at each fuse and wright it down. I found several with less than 12 volts. Got a wiring diagram for circuits and see what they have in common. Mine was the ignition switch. Replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch and it has been running fine since. Problem was where the mechanical and electrical part of the ignition switch go togather was worn and I believe the was not making full contact, because it was not turning completely, and not getting full power so it would not start.
LLJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote