www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old January 26th, 2012, 04:50   #16
germ

They gave me $65.00 per tire
germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 06:50   #17
LuckyBob

Smile Snow Tires - Awesome on this car

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ View Post
How are the new Passats in the snow?
The stock 18's were a little scary in the snow, after one week of this I ordered Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 215/60R-16 mounted on OZ 16" wheels, an incredible difference the car is now a blast to drive in the snow, very predictable handling and the traction control doesn't interfere anywhere near as much. You can also get the ass to swing out a bit with a little hand brake as you corner. I highly recommend using Winter tires on this or any car.
LuckyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 07:49   #18
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

Thanks Bob! That was my assessment as well. Have the 18's for summer and the 16" Blizzaks for the winter, you just can't beat that combo for year round driving.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 14:46   #19
eprater1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
What size tires? What brand? Hanook or Continental?
I have the stock hankooks w/17" wheels
eprater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:24   #20
brent_strong
Veteran Member

I had quite good luck with the 17" Hankooks from my SE w/sunroof. Drove it about 1600 miles from Nashville to northern Michigan through some pretty nasty weather and they handled well. All the back roads up north end up as compressed ice with snow on top and it did great on that as well.

If you live in an area with a lot of snow and ice, I'd always recommend snow tires, but in my experience, the Hankooks are just fine for snow/ice if you don't drive through it enough to justify another set of tires.
brent_strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:11   #21
RoadRunnerTR21
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_strong View Post
I had quite good luck with the 17" Hankooks from my SE w/sunroof. Drove it about 1600 miles from Nashville to northern Michigan through some pretty nasty weather and they handled well. All the back roads up north end up as compressed ice with snow on top and it did great on that as well.

If you live in an area with a lot of snow and ice, I'd always recommend snow tires, but in my experience, the Hankooks are just fine for snow/ice if you don't drive through it enough to justify another set of tires.
I'd rather not want to find out how it does in snow or ice. When this happens in east Texas, we are in deep sh$t anyway so there won't be much driving done.
Old December 7th, 2013, 08:35   #22
WildBill

TDI(s): 2014 Passat
Default My 2014 Passat TDI SEL Did Fantastic in North Texas Ice Storm!

Very impressed with my TDI's performance this week in a North Texas Ice Storm. If you are going to drive a sedan in the snow, I don't see how you can get much better than the FWD Passat. The accelleration is so easy to control to prevent spinning, and the ABS Brakes had me stopping straight every time. We had about four inches of freezing rain and sleet fall this week, so that is about as deep as I think you'd want to attempt without getting high centered in a rut somewhere, but very impressive still. I was one of the few in the crew that made it to work, and I have a 30 mile commute to Dallas.

I pulled into a school parking lot which was closed for the day, lot's of open room to play, starting, stopping, turning. The most impressive thing to me were the brakes, which I would slam on at 25 mph to see what would happen. You can feel the ABS at work, and I was simply amazed at how I stopped straight every time. I drove by fender benders and abandoned vehicles which were turned opposite traffic the whole way, and ended up driving a coworker home who didnt want to attempt it.

So, on flat roadways, I am very confident now with this vehicke in snow and ice. I wouldn't want to do any serious downhill though without proper tires. Storms like this don't happen every year in my neck of the woods, but nice to know I am covered when it does happen.
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 09:32   #23
rustycat
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill View Post
Very impressed with my TDI's performance this week in a North Texas Ice Storm. If you are going to drive a sedan in the snow, I don't see how you can get much better than the FWD Passat. The accelleration is so easy to control to prevent spinning, and the ABS Brakes had me stopping straight every time. We had about four inches of freezing rain and sleet fall this week, so that is about as deep as I think you'd want to attempt without getting high centered in a rut somewhere, but very impressive still. I was one of the few in the crew that made it to work, and I have a 30 mile commute to Dallas.

I pulled into a school parking lot which was closed for the day, lot's of open room to play, starting, stopping, turning. The most impressive thing to me were the brakes, which I would slam on at 25 mph to see what would happen. You can feel the ABS at work, and I was simply amazed at how I stopped straight every time. I drove by fender benders and abandoned vehicles which were turned opposite traffic the whole way, and ended up driving a coworker home who didnt want to attempt it.

So, on flat roadways, I am very confident now with this vehicke in snow and ice. I wouldn't want to do any serious downhill though without proper tires. Storms like this don't happen every year in my neck of the woods, but nice to know I am covered when it does happen.

Here's good video on ECS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIxeIKYEU-Q
rustycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 22:20   #24
vw_norm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSTDI View Post
Can you turn off traction control on the 12 Passat? Somebody told me you can't on it or the 12 Jetta?
Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
I hear you will have to wire a switch to do it.
read this thread about disabling traction control: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=342176
Old December 8th, 2013, 03:14   #25
NSTDI
Veteran Member

I find the 13 TC works very good, not as intrusive as the 2003 Passat. I haven't seen a real need to turn it off.

Don
Old December 8th, 2013, 09:27   #26
hudsonian

I have been running my 2013 passat here in Calgary in a relatively hard winter so far this year. Drove her in a foot of snow this week and had no problems. I mounted 17" michelin x ice 3 on momo win 2 alloys, all great, they are very quiet on normal roads as well which is a big plus
hudsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:48   #27
pparks1
Veteran Member

I just put on some General Altimax Arctic's 215/60/16's on my 2013 Passat TDI SE yesterday. Haven't yet had any accumulated snow thus far in Michigan to drive in, but that time will come soon enough.
Old December 8th, 2013, 14:10   #28
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy

Fuel Economy: see signature

Just got home from work and aside from the worn out Hankooks being terrible, the stability and traction control works well. Very smooth.
VeeDubTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 17:14   #29
ABS
Veteran Member

The car is respectable in the snow. Traction and stability control are top notch (although I do wish there was a switch to turn it off on the 14's..) Stock tires (Hankooks) aren't the best skins I've driven on, but with only 4300 miles, they behave decently.

In Garage:
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6-m/t, Tungsten Metallic
2002 BMW E46, 5 m/t, Oxford Green Metallic
2006 Honda Odyssey Touring

Last edited by ABS; December 8th, 2013 at 17:20.
ABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 04:15   #30
RoadRunnerTR21
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
I'd rather not want to find out how it does in snow or ice. When this happens in east Texas, we are in deep sh$t anyway so there won't be much driving done.
I posted this quote 11 months ago and now it has come true. Flight cancellations from the NE delayed my return to Dallas by a day. In some respects that was a blessing. That said, on Saturday morning I had my first opportunity to drive the Passat on icy roads and I was very surprised how well it handled the poor road conditions. I never really had any issues at all other than a few bridges that were like cobblestone roads. I did learn one thing that I thought I would pass along. Long ago (over 40 years) I learned a technique that I would use when driving a vehicle with a automatic on ice. If you are slowly trailing another vehicle and they start to slow down, I would put the vehicle in neutral and coast as opposed to using the brakes. The advantage here is that the drive wheels would stop trying to move the vehicle forward and you would naturally slow down. This technique does not work with the DSG. As we all know, at slow speeds when you lift off of the accelerator our cars slowdown on its own pretty well. If you were to pop it into neutral, you will have the sensation of speeding up. So the lesson learned for me is to always leave the car in gear. It does a great job all by itself.