www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 23rd, 2012, 17:01   #1
fbeninati

Default HELP BLOWER MOTOR NOT Working

hi there,

My blower motor for my heating and cooling isn't working, i checked the fuses, plugged in an OBD II reader and no codes were found. I dont know where to go from here. I just had the resistor replaced like 2 weeks ago so I think it might be the actual motor. Does anyone have any suggestions or know how to access it. all i know is that its on the passenger side behind the glove box.
fbeninati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 18:12   #2
dalchri
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 99 Beetle

I think the fan switch is known to break on the beetle. That is what happened to mine. All I had to do was JB weld the pieces back together.

I don't know if the same is true for the golf/jetta.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 19:44   #3
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

The ECU does not monitor the heater fan system so there will be no codes to help you here... gotta do it old school.

It's either:

- the fuse
- the resistor
- the motor
- the switch
- the wiring in between those parts.

You say you've checked the fuse and replaced the resistor. Wiring rarely breaks, so the next logical step is to access the fan motor per instructions in the Bentley service manual and use a multimeter to check for power at the fan motor connector when the switch is on.

No power...most likely bad switch, assuming you checked the right fuses etc.

If there is power, pull the connector off the motor and use your multimeter to check the motor for continuity. No continuity = bad fan motor.

As an aside, a fan motor with bearings on the way out draws extra current and often causes the resistor to overheat, so if you replaced the resistor because it popped my money's on a worn fan.
2001 blue TDI Jetta, Malone Stage 3. Grrrr baby... very grrrrrrr!
1970 Bay Window bus... not so grrrrr
Vince Waldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 20:05   #4
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

Good advice from Vince. Check out the steps outlined. I went thru this deal this spring. The resistor went, so I replaced it and then the resistor went again and then the blower motor. So the motor was going and causing the resistor to fail. Make sure the cabin filter is clean and no obstructions to the blower motor.
Its a pretty easy fix and they're about $65.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 12:31   #5
fbeninati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Waldon View Post
The ECU does not monitor the heater fan system so there will be no codes to help you here... gotta do it old school.

It's either:

- the fuse
- the resistor
- the motor
- the switch
- the wiring in between those parts.

You say you've checked the fuse and replaced the resistor. Wiring rarely breaks, so the next logical step is to access the fan motor per instructions in the Bentley service manual and use a multimeter to check for power at the fan motor connector when the switch is on.

No power...most likely bad switch, assuming you checked the right fuses etc.

If there is power, pull the connector off the motor and use your multimeter to check the motor for continuity. No continuity = bad fan motor.

As an aside, a fan motor with bearings on the way out draws extra current and often causes the resistor to overheat, so if you replaced the resistor because it popped my money's on a worn fan.

Hi there vince,

I checked all my fuses under the hood and none are blown, also i tested the motor and it works just fine. i put it to a 12v battery and it turned on just fine. Im going attempt to check the motor connector for power and the swtiches right now.
Old January 26th, 2012, 14:28   #6
jettawreck
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ average lifetime '01

The blower motor resistor pack has a thermal fuse which can blow. It can be replaced (soldered in) with a part from Radio Shack for about $1.79. (search resitor pack) Usually if its the thermal fuse the blower fan will still work on switch position "4"/high. If you get nothing at any setting, its most likely the switch or a wire/connector issue.

2001 Jetta TDI GLS Silver-current driver (salvage)permanently vented-Panzer Plate-Sprint 520s-ScanGauge-CheckTemp III-ZeroStart heater-CAT 2 filter
2003 Jetta GLS Black w/leather (New Project Car) fixer-upper w/broken TB
2004 Cadillac SLS (wife's)
1999 GMC Suburban (It's MN-you need one)
197? Shibura 2cyl diesel 4WD tractor-loader/brushhog (very handy unit)
196? International TD340 Dozer-w/Drott 4-in-1 bucket/back ripper attachment
jettawreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 15:36   #7
fbeninati

ok so i went all out and removed the glove compartment and stereo so i can have full access to all the wiring. I attempted to test the blower connecters

first I tried to test the blower connected right from the blower, I put a multi meter to it and had absolutely no reading whatsoever. First i tried off the red wire and the black to the frame but had no success and tried every other possible combination just in case

second I tested the blower motor resistor connector with the multi meter using the same method as mentione above, needless to say no reading came up.

Third i removed the heater switch cluster and I tested all the connectors, The two connectors connecting to the rear defog and seat warmers did get a reading and they are still working fine, however when i tested the connector that connected from the switches to control the temp, blower motor speed and position I did not get a voltage reading at all.

this leads me to believe that there must be a module that might not be getting power, If anyone has had this problem and managed to fix it or if you have any suggestions please let me know i only have 3 more days off the get this fixed.

Also im trying to find a wiring diagram online if anyone has one they could share with me it would be greatly appreciated
Old January 26th, 2012, 15:58   #8
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Just to be clear, when you say "no reading" are you measuring voltage? Resistance? Did the blower motor have continuity?
Old January 26th, 2012, 16:56   #9
fbeninati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Waldon View Post
Just to be clear, when you say "no reading" are you measuring voltage? Resistance? Did the blower motor have continuity?

sorry about that, when i meant "Reading" i meant nothing was showing on my digital voltmeter while testing voltage. How can i check if the motor has continuity? i attached it to a 12V battery and it worked was that sufficient enough?
Old January 26th, 2012, 18:55   #10
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Yup that's fine...hooking the fan up to 12V volts works too.

The other way would be to set your multimeter on "ohms" or "resistance" and look for a couple ohms of resistance accross the motor's terminals.
Old March 11th, 2012, 07:29   #11
Jonny Zero
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.6L/100KM

WHat was the end result?
Old April 12th, 2012, 14:59   #12
d0nalba1n

Let me know what you found out? I just put my beetle back together and didnt have multimeter. Fan was working fine with a squeal and then DEAD. Ordered new fan and new resistor pack and just put them in, checked fuse, and reassembled. Turned on fan and NADA! Nothing. I replaced the whole AC control switch assembly in this bug once.(WHAT FUN) Any way to test the switch, like bypassing it, to see if that is the problem? Otherwise I guess I get to disassemble the whole dash again and start with a multimeter....
d0nalba1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 18:02   #13
Joe_Meehan
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid-upper 40's city upper 50's - low 60's Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbeninati View Post
hi there,

.. checked the fuses, plugged in an OBD II reader and no codes were found. I dont know where to go from here....
Never rule out a bad ground. It certainly is not always the problem, but the grounding circuit is every bit as important as the positive (negative in some cars like my old Sunbeam Imp). It fails less often, but it can fail.

Good Luck
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:08   #14
rpav

TDI(s): Audi A4

Having similar issues on my 98 audi a4... current testing and analysis:

The heater/ac blower does not come on. Can hear AC compressor kick on, but just no blower fan. The electronic display for fan just goes up to full then back down.
Checked fuse, okay; checked volts at wiring leads have full 12volts.

Pulled fan/blower unit and placed 12volt battery directly to it and got it to work; but the terminals i used were the opposite that it would receive from being attached to the wiring connector (meaning the positive vs negative).
So i'm thinking when i place the separate battery positive on the blower's negative (which normally receives the brownish yellow wire ) it works!
It might be working in reverse when jumped like this.
However, when connected the other way Pos vs neg no action.

I don't have the solar sunroof feature, so its not the sunroof relay.
I've ordered a used blower and resistor to just see if its the blower motor.

Thanks, Bob
rpav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:33   #15
deadend9009
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '03 Wagon

I thought my blower was dead too but my filter was filthy. I wouldn't rule out something this simple if you have not checked it.