www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2014 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 22:45   #16
EricWoods

TDI(s): 99 JETTA TDI
Thumbs up Turbo manifold & flywheel

i am going ahead with the TDI >>> Chevrolet S10 Conversion
a few questions i need answered,
for RWD i need a turbo exhaust manifold from a car with engine long ways 1= Will a passat or A4 1.8 Gas TURBO MANIFOLD work for me to allow a front entry starter or does it have to be a Passat TDI item?
2= Will a passat manual flywheel of gas engine work or again does it need to be a TDI?

these are a few start Questions no doubt as i move on there will be lots more head scratching and questions to be answered
i do greatly appreciate all the help available from the club members
you are all real enthusiasts with a legacy of knowledge to go with it
when i get going on this project i intend to photo document the progress & setbacks of course hoping it might help if someone else is as crazy as me to do similar
Thnks A Lot for now
Eric
EricWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:50   #17
rsxsr
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 29.25 mpg over 7200 mile trip.

At least the ALH turbo outlet is pointed to the rear already, so no need to change that one. You just make a flange and weld up a custom exhaust. Easy. The starter may be more tricky. You need to be sure the starter turns in the correct direction. It is not just a case of bolting one up that engages the flywheel. I would use the flywheel designed for the engine, but maybe a different clutch setup.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 21:21   #18
EricWoods

Just bought a complete 2002 VW Beetle TDI today with a shot auto transmission should have all the bits required to make it run ,also bought a new GM T5 Transmission for $404 on Ebay, i now need to buy a Lakewood bell housing,
does anyone know if the Lakewood bellhousing keeps the Engine at a slant or does it change it to verticle,
couple of things i will still need, Flywheel & passat starter motor + passat exhaust manifold to leave clearance for a front mount starter, was wondering if the A4 or Passat 1.8 Turbo Gas exhaust manifold is adaptable for this as they are a lot easier to find than a Passat TDI
Another question will a golf or jetta manual flywheel work with a starter engagine from the front or is the ring gear bevelled for rear entry only, hate to ask a bunch of questions but i wanna get most of the ingredients rounded up before i make the big attack on it,
Also if anyone needs 2002 Beetle parts i will basically have a complete rolling shell to sell either complete or section out, it has a really nice set of Alloy wheels shod with really good 16"tires, interior is cream colour leather, will be selling all at reasonable prices any interest just Holler at me on 540-797-7776
Old February 8th, 2012, 20:50   #19
EricWoods

Hi
just pulled the tdi motor out of beetle boy that wiring would really scare the crap out of me , there is several vacuum lines goin to the firewall does anyone know if i will need to worry about these going into the S10, looks like i will need to ask the vw experts alot a questions before i have smoke out the back pipe
Old February 9th, 2012, 05:33   #20
onlyn8v
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWoods View Post
Just bought a complete 2002 VW Beetle TDI today with a shot auto transmission should have all the bits required to make it run ,also bought a new GM T5 Transmission for $404 on Ebay, i now need to buy a Lakewood bell housing,
does anyone know if the Lakewood bellhousing keeps the Engine at a slant or does it change it to verticle,
Not sure, the only info about it is the motorgeek forum post.

Quote:
was wondering if the A4 or Passat 1.8 Turbo Gas exhaust manifold is adaptable for this as they are a lot easier to find than a Passat TDI
Absolutely not
Quote:
Another question will a golf or jetta manual flywheel work with a starter engagine from the front or is the ring gear bevelled for rear entry only, hate to ask a bunch of questions but i wanna get most of the ingredients rounded up before i make the big attack on it,
Good luck, because again, no one knows (or posted) what is needed to make the Lakewood bellhousing work. To my knowledge, no one has completed a swap with one. The easiest solution might be to take a GM flywheel blank and have the VW crank pattern drilled in. Then you should be able to use the GM starter. (Will prob have to use a mini starter)
98 Jetta TDI 5 speed 249k+ (Red) RC3+, Ventectomy, tint, leather interior, Porsche wheels, DRL-less, ported / polished head with matched intake manifold,3" catless exhaust, 2.5" downpipe, PP520, hybrid turbo, FMIC, smoked e-codes, badgeless grille, H&R cup kit
04 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 33K Blue 4" Fabtech lift, MT wheels, 33",Borla, sliders, snorkle, 15mpg
...Other crap Im parting

Last edited by onlyn8v; February 10th, 2012 at 06:45.
onlyn8v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 20:39   #21
EricWoods

there is a hell of a bunch of wiring in one of those TDI bugs, does anyone know how little of the wiring i can get away with using in the Chevy S10 Conversion i was planning on keeping as much of the chevy wiring as possible and only really using the essential vw wiring that it would take to make the engine perform as normal as possible
Old February 15th, 2012, 20:25   #22
EricWoods

anyone know where i could possibly have a flywheel tailor made for the tdi using a Chevrolet S10 clutch, i have just lowered the tdi into the S10 just to see how i am room wise, the a/c compressor had to go too wide at the lower level a/c compressor wouldnt go down past steering box, i am working on mounting the S10 compressor above the pas pump, i think i can get this to work without too much difficulty, waiting for the Lakeland bell housing they tell me its about 3 weeks out, gives me time to figure out a few things like the motor mount brackets, i plan on using PASSAT TDI cone motor mounts dont wanna go too solid as i couldnt stand that vibration tremor all through the vehicle
Old February 15th, 2012, 20:38   #23
Ski in NC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48-52 typical

Rotate the engine so cylinder head is more toward passenger side, and shift engine centerline toward passenger side too. This may give you clearance for the ac comp to steering gear. Also consider moving engine forward.

Rear trans mount can be modded to handle new fwd aft position and any rotation.
1986 VW Pathfinder 1.6 45hp Marine 4700 Hrs
2001 Cummins 8.3 420hp Marine 1660Hrs..REFIT DONE!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 21:37   #24
EricWoods

there was just too much needed tried tilting more probable about 3" too wide at the compressor, anyhow i think i can get by this hurdle easily by mounting it right on top
Old February 15th, 2012, 22:08   #25
LukeWilson
Veteran Member

What us TDI Toyota guys do is just redrill the stock Toyota flywheel to the TDI bolt pattern. This means that you can use the original Toyota clutch and pressure plate. Could you not do that with the Chevy or does the adapter screw things up?
LukeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 05:41   #26
onlyn8v
Veteran Member

EricWoods, I have contacted a few people that I know that were involved in the production of the Lakewood/quicktime bellhousing. It was designed to work with the passat flywheel and starter. So, you can get a custom clutch made with a GM hub. The transmission it was designed for was a GM t-5. Rotating the engine will mess with the shifter position, so you dont want to do that. As far as i am aware, the bellhousing makes the engine/trans combo 90 degrees
98 Jetta TDI 5 speed 249k+ (Red) RC3+, Ventectomy, tint, leather interior, Porsche wheels, DRL-less, ported / polished head with matched intake manifold,3" catless exhaust, 2.5" downpipe, PP520, hybrid turbo, FMIC, smoked e-codes, badgeless grille, H&R cup kit
04 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 33K Blue 4" Fabtech lift, MT wheels, 33",Borla, sliders, snorkle, 15mpg
...Other crap Im parting
onlyn8v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 21:03   #27
EricWoods

Thanks Dave,
i have a Lakewood bellhousing on order i have a T5 box awaiting the b'housing i bought a golf flywheel & clutch kit i was going to replace the clutch friction disc with a Chevy disc and then do whatever modifying i need to do with the release bearing,i may have to get a diesel passat starter from the uk unless someon can confirm that one from a 1996 Passat manual will do the trick
Old February 16th, 2012, 21:18   #28
Whitbread

Fuel Economy: mid 40's with mixed spirited driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWoods View Post
Thanks Dave,
i have a Lakewood bellhousing on order i have a T5 box awaiting the b'housing i bought a golf flywheel & clutch kit i was going to replace the clutch friction disc with a Chevy disc and then do whatever modifying i need to do with the release bearing,i may have to get a diesel passat starter from the uk unless someon can confirm that one from a 1996 Passat manual will do the trick
The starter from a 04-05 passat tdi is what you need. It works fine with the manual flywheel for an 01E (what bell housing the lakewood is based off of).
Whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 21:54   #29
EricWoods

Update run into a problem chevy flywheel didnt look like it would be able to be drilled for the VW plus a suitable clutch wasnt easy either, going a different way about it now, i have a 5-spd toyota pickup gearbox mid 90's have a bare bones kit ordered with Jeff at Acme it comes with a toyota drilled to VW pattern flywheel so a Toyota clutch will simplify that issue, i have an Audi A6 TDI 1.9 Turbo & Exhaust manifold coming from N.Ireland should help with room for stater motor, ust getting ready to send my ECM off to Mike to do the needful, the wiring is the part i am dreading most
Old January 2nd, 2013, 22:10   #30
alhtdi

TDI(s): 99 jetta tdi

did you end up doing anything or finishing this project?
alhtdi is offline   Reply With Quote